Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I went in on Santambrogio 50-1 e/w in the overall. I was never a fan of Stats theory on the Sky riders, should've listened.
I was just assuming the way Sky ride Grand Tours lightening will strike twice, well I guess that should be 3 times.

You've missed the value boat on Uran but a quick look on oddschecker shows Henao @ 200/1, eachwaytastic.

He might not make the podium, but he should be shoulder to shoulder with Uran from now on, which means they'll be the longest odds you'll get on him.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hearing that Bouhanni has quit the race today. If confirmed, that's another spanner in the works of my fantasy plans.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was just assuming the way Sky ride Grand Tours lightening will strike twice, well I guess that should be 3 times.

You've missed the value boat on Uran but a quick look on oddschecker shows Henao @ 200/1, eachwaytastic.

He might not make the podium, but he should be shoulder to shoulder with Uran from now on, which means they'll be the longest odds you'll get on him.

Done at 200/1 eachwaytastic :thumbsup:

I now have two identical bets riding on the same rider with the same bookmaker but at different prices. They took the bet ok, so assume all is fine?

Edit: Bollox, bollox, bollox :angry: Just went back to check the bet and I now have Henao at 200/1 to win outright as a single, not eachway :facepalm: Tried again to see why I missed the e/w the first time and it's because I'm not getting the e/w option. That's a fiver up the swanny then or the biggest win of my, thankfully limited, betting career.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hearing that Bouhanni has quit the race today. If confirmed, that's another spanner in the works of my fantasy plans.
Quit before he got slung off. He's getting to be a right liability.

Fairly small beer today but it's the same move and same disregard for anyone else.
That can't be good at 40 mph.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, I like Teaboy, Vivi and Cranky25 thought I would take a punt on not every sprint working out for the Missile. How wrong we were. Totally dominant, he and his team look like a perfect sprint machine.

My fall from 1st down the league continues at pace. @Stat Brother to usurp me next!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Quit before he got slung off. He's getting to be a right liability.

Fairly small beer today but it's the same move and same disregard for anyone else.
That can't be good at 40 mph.

Just got this off the FDJ website. But I can't seem to get the article to open beyond the .......

Giro d'Italia stage 12
Rain, rain ... It always is a Giro "torrential" this year unfolds, the nerves of the runners are put to the test, organisms are fragile and in this stressful environment, a magnificent sprint took place in the streets of Treviso where Mark Cavendish (OPQS) has won again. Nacer Bouhanni again amazing, took second place before returning to France tomorrow. As it was planned a long time ...

Edit: If you mean the move Bouhanni put on Modolo today then for my money Modolo was the one who instigated the move by edging Bouhanni towards the barriers.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wayhay, classic stat back track when someone else's money is involved!!

I always get very twitchy after the rare event of someone actually listening to me.

I guess I'm fortunate 1066 you do actually know what you're looking at, and just how much work Henao has to do to pull himself up those 8 places.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
109 points today, not far off the same team that scored 5 the other day!!

I saved 1 transfer from yesterday, so currently have a spare to use today and still have 4 tomorrow.

Why did Jarlinson Pantano earn me 10 points today?

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wayhay, classic stat back track when someone else's money is involved!!

I always get very twitchy after the rare event of someone actually listening to me.

I guess I'm fortunate 1066 you do actually know what you're looking at, and just how much work Henao has to do to pull himself up those 8 places.

Do I feel good about Henao sneaking onto the podium?, not massively but with the unpredictability of this Giro and the ability Henao has, I can certainly see it having more hope than no hope, especially after today's affairs.

Can I see him winning the thing? I'll give it about as much chance of me being the next Pope :( That was just me being an idiot again by clicking through too hastily. Glad I can take or leave betting, or else I'd be in serious trouble with an internet account. It appears I don't always actually know what I'm looking at at all.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
109 points today, not far off the same team that scored 5 the other day!!

I saved 1 transfer from yesterday, so currently have a spare to use today and still have 4 tomorrow.

Why did Jarlinson Pantano earn me 10 points today?

I have no idea. All I know is Felline was 200 meters away from picking me up 48 pts instead of the 9 he actually got :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do I feel good about Henao sneaking onto the podium?, not massively but with the unpredictability of this Giro and the ability Henao has, I can certainly see it having more hope than no hope, especially after today's affairs.

Can I see him winning the thing? I'll give it about as much chance of me being the next Pope :( That was just me being an idiot again by clicking through too hastily. Glad I can take or leave betting, or else I'd be in serious trouble with an internet account. It appears I don't always actually know what I'm looking at at all.
I have been talking this up since before the race.
That's very difficult for me, because I easily convince myself that I'm right and the blinkers come on.

It did occured to me, with Katusha matey obvious win, 'why don't I bet more on cycling' (never more than a fiver), it is the sport I know more about than any other, but I never follow my instinct. Danielson @ L-B-L being another example.
Obviously that wasn't helped by actually having that validated with Uran, the other day.

I don't see much team defense of the positions between Henao and the podium.
If the Sky boys can isolate these riders over consecutive days, the Columbians should be able to finish them off.
Assuming Wiggo isn't coughing and spluttering all over them.

That just leaves Nibs and Cadel, and I still don't see Cadel making it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Seems to me that the best approach with betting is to know that however much you think you know about what you're betting on...the bookies know more than you do!

Having said that, there does seem like some fantastically generous odds on cycling at times, and when that's backed up by ridiculously short odds on riders with very little chance but loads of popular coverage it all becomes very tempting. Thankfully I'm not tempted too often.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems to me that the best approach with betting is to know that however much you think you know about what you're betting on...the bookies know more than you do!

Having said that, there does seem like some fantastically generous odds on cycling at times, and when that's backed up by ridiculously short odds on riders with very little chance but loads of popular coverage it all becomes very tempting. Thankfully I'm not tempted too often.
That's definitely the case.
As much as the betting playing ground isn't level, I think it's a damn sight leveler in cycling due to the knowledge we carry.

The odds do seem to be set favourite heavy, and we can all see the races when that might not be the case.
Eg, Sagan going off the boil, but that still didn't stop him being close to even money, pushing everybody else's odds out.

Cav was always going to win today, I doubt he'll win tomorrow but that won't stop him being odds on.
I had every confidence Davide Appollino would be in the shake up today.
Sure he finished 20 yards back in 11th, but 100/1 is crazy odds for a sprinter in a sprint event.
What were the odds on Mezgec today?

There's 'easier' money to be made at bigger odds in cycling than say horse racing.

I'm very fortunate I don't have much of a disposable income, because I did I wouldn't have :lol:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I came across another middle aged Lance Armstrong wannabee cycling past the Newmarket Pub on the Lewes Road towards Brighton today at 3.30pm.
I was doing 70mph in my LARGE van and he was 1 foot from me flattening him.
There is a cycle lane on the other side of the road.
Am I a bad person in hoping he gets wots coming to him?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Think you've lost your Pantano points SB. Incorrectly given lanterne rouge I think.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Henao, like Ryder, is cooked. They were both in great form in the Ardennes classics and I cannot see Henao maintaining that level, to catch up the three minutes (and eight places) he needs to get on to the podium. Dropped on the first proper mountain too, just cannot see it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think you've lost your Pantano points SB. Incorrectly given lanterne rouge I think.
I've already spent them :lol:

Uncle S getting bent out of shape about his coup, is all rather amusing, on the back of our chat tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here