Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
A lot of you seem to do your own work, so may not have any thoughts on this but I just wondered what people's opinions were on the best bike shop in Brighton to get work done. I've used Rayments before, so may just go back there.

I am considering upgrading my entire groupset from veloce to chorus (and gaining a few extra cogs in my cassette whilst I'm at it) instead of spending 3 and a half grand on a new bike as i was initially tempted to do (Despite not having the money).

I know someone will say I should do it myself, but I'm battling to try and squeeze 5 rides a week in now the clocks have changed, so I need it done quickly by someone more mechanically competent than me!

Also hoping to ride out Lewes way and see DCR wheel builders if anyone has any experience using him?

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So, Pogue Mahone and I have just finished the Paris Roubaix. I'm sure many on here have done it. All I can say is nothing can prepare you for the sheer physical brutality of it. No amount of videos can impart what it's like to go over those cobbles.

To those that haven't done it, I'd encourage you to do it. Would I do it again? Never! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365259679.217882.jpg

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So, Pogue Mahone and I have just finished the Paris Roubaix. I'm sure many on here have done it. All I can say is nothing can prepare you for the sheer physical brutality of it. No amount of videos can impart what it's like to go over those cobbles.

To those that haven't done it, I'd encourage you to do it. Would I do it again? Never!View attachment 41323

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
That's one time we can definitely forgive a double post. We'll done guys - never done it but I know the cobbles are brutal.

Surprised to see quintana do so well today, the TT was obviously hillier than I thought.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
A lot of you seem to do your own work, so may not have any thoughts on this but I just wondered what people's opinions were on the best bike shop in Brighton to get work done. I've used Rayments before, so may just go back there.

I am considering upgrading my entire groupset from veloce to chorus (and gaining a few extra cogs in my cassette whilst I'm at it) instead of spending 3 and a half grand on a new bike as i was initially tempted to do (Despite not having the money).

I know someone will say I should do it myself, but I'm battling to try and squeeze 5 rides a week in now the clocks have changed, so I need it done quickly by someone more mechanically competent than me!

Also hoping to ride out Lewes way and see DCR wheel builders if anyone has any experience using him?

I think Rayment are probably the best bike shop in Brighton although I don't find them particularly helpful or friendly unless I am spending a fair sum of money. They definitely know their stuff but think they attract the upper cycling enthusiasts with money and hence cater for them. I like both Baker Street bikes and Sydney street, find them much friendlier and cheaper and find that they don't mind catering for my limited pockets of cash.

Regarding repairs while I can and have done most mechanics on my bike they never seem quite up-to the standard that I get from a proper bike mechanic so agree with you there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well done to Pogue Mahone & Hamilton, reckon you've earnt that drink there! Have a great day tomorrow watching the race, and hopefully it'll be a cracking race to take your mind off all your aches & pains.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's one time we can definitely forgive a double post. We'll done guys - never done it but I know the cobbles are brutal.

Surprised to see quintana do so well today, the TT was obviously hillier than I thought.

I'm not that surprised about Quintana doing well given how hilly and technical the parcours were, although I didn't expect him to do quite that well. What I'm amazed at is how poorly Porte done!

How did you enjoy the matchday experience today? Think you got unlucky on game choice, but at least we got out of jail with a point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great stuff chaps, well done.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm not that surprised about Quintana doing well given how hilly and technical the parcours were, although I didn't expect him to do quite that well. What I'm amazed at is how poorly Porte done!

How did you enjoy the matchday experience today? Think you got unlucky on game choice, but at least we got out of jail with a point.

Tell me about it. On the Arrenberg I was starting to wish I'd chosen the Amex.

Not really. To be honest, I wouldn't have missed it. Even though it hurts. I'm just going to be so in awe as the leaders and the peleton go through. How they manage positions in those conditions is beyond me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All quiet on the big race build up for tomorrow here.

I've finally picked my fantasy team, and now I know what it's like for those that do the lottery on a Saturday night. I just hope for a cracking race and any half decent fantasy points will be a bonus. Hoping Europcar will animate things and that Lotto ride clever again. Our national jersey up near the front would be nice too. Anything other than a total demolition by Spartacus would be good, although I'm happy to see a master at work.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Perhaps I should have looked at the parcours closer before taking him out.

Match experience was good, as you say it might not have been the best game. Main annoyance is the travel - only got home at 9.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Plenty of time to mull over your PR picks on the way home then :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The United Colours of Team Stat:-

1 x Brit
1 x Septic
1 x Cheque
1 x Chocolate cookoo clock
1 x Froggie
1 x Belgiumer
1 x Dutchist
1 x European war monger
1 x Norse god.

Where's [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION]?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Whilst I appropriate you don't want to here this, with the right tools the swap is really straight forward.
You have everything in place so it's just a simple case of one step at a time swapsies.
You'll need the thingy to get the cassette off, a kickin set of wire cutters, and a chain remover.

Good luck retaping the bars!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

If you buy the group set from a bike shop (after hammering them down on price!) then their forging price might be reasonable - especially if you need to buy a load of new tools to do the job.

Having said that, I can still remember when my brand new record carbon groupset came when I was about 17. I loved putting that on my bike (it's still there as well!)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

To those that haven't done it, I'd encourage you to do it. Would I do it again? Never!View attachment 41323

Well done fellas! An accomplishment to be very proud of.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
As we have passed the transfer deadline. Here is my team:

Cancellara, Phinney, Van Avermaet, Roelandts, Thomas, Haussler, Chavanel, Offredo and Roessler.

You can pick some really strong teams for this as none of the GC (expensive) big boys ride it anymore and Sagan is giving it a miss. I would expect some big scores today. I cannot really see past a Spartacus win but if his bumps and bruises from two falls in a week are worse than first thought, or someone can hang on his wheel until the velodrome you never know. Either way I love Paris-Roubaix, and the Ardennes classics to come, love this time of year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here