Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought GVA wasn't starting?I've gone for: Canc, Phinney, Roelandts, Turgot, Kristoff, Langeveld, Gaudin, Stannard, Chavanel

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As we have passed the transfer deadline. Here is my team:

Cancellara, Phinney, Van Avermaet, Roelandts, Thomas, Haussler, Chavanel, Offredo and Roessler.

You can pick some really strong teams for this as none of the GC (expensive) big boys ride it anymore and Sagan is giving it a miss. I would expect some big scores today. I cannot really see past a Spartacus win but if his bumps and bruises from two falls in a week are worse than first thought, or someone can hang on his wheel until the velodrome you never know. Either way I love Paris-Roubaix, and the Ardennes classics to come, love this time of year.
You can probably work out Team Stat from the cryptic clues.

Cancellara, Hoshovd, Thomas (I think I should have changed for Stannard), Offredo, Phinney, Boom, Degenkolb, Stybar, VanSummeran.

I've been very silly with my Atkins to Reading winnings:-

£2 Lars Boom.

£1ew Demare :shrug:

and if that wasn't stoopid enough, every bet I had this spring, 1 ridiculous name has always jumped out.
So far I've managed to ignore the itch, but it just won't go away, so I finally succumbed and did:-

£1ew on Maaskant :facepalm: :shrug: :facepalm:

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
So, Pogue Mahone and I have just finished the Paris Roubaix. I'm sure many on here have done it. All I can say is nothing can prepare you for the sheer physical brutality of it. No amount of videos can impart what it's like to go over those cobbles.

To those that haven't done it, I'd encourage you to do it. Would I do it again? Never!View attachment 41323

incredible and inspiring stuff guys.

I'm just off for a hilly 115km training ride. Every time I hit a rough bit of tarmac, I'll be able to think could be worse... A LOT worse.
Well done on beating those cobbles!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
You can probably work out Team Stat from the cryptic clues.

Cancellara, Hoshovd, Thomas (I think I should have changed for Stannard), Offredo, Phinney, Boom, Degenkolb, Stybar, VanSummeran.

I've been very silly with my Atkins to Reading winnings:-

£2 Lars Boom.

£1ew Demare :shrug:

and if that wasn't stoopid enough, every bet I had this spring, 1 ridiculous name has always jumped out.
So far I've managed to ignore the itch, but it just won't go away, so I finally succumbed and did:-

£1ew on Maaskant :facepalm: :shrug: :facepalm:

I have gone £1.50 EBH at 25/1
50p Van Avermaet at 80/1
and £1.50ew Roelandts at 50/1

Not sure about Maaskant, Demare does not look a terrible bet. Surprised you did not go with Stybar, was seriously looking at that myself. As ever Cancellara is way too short to even think about in a race with so many variables.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have gone £1.50 EBH at 25/1
50p Van Avermaet at 80/1
and £1.50ew Roelandts at 50/1

Not sure about Maaskant, Demare does not look a terrible bet. Surprised you did not go with Stybar, was seriously looking at that myself. As ever Cancellara is way too short to even think about in a race with so many variables.
I'm currently reading an article on the resurgence of French pro cycling so 150/1 Demare was a 'what the hell'.
Martin Muskrat as said is a silly whim.

I think Stybar is diminishing returns.
I could see the Ghent race that was cancelled being a Stybar/Stannard battle royale, Stybar was certainly carrying some good form, which seems to be sliding. (Alternatively he'd turned it down a notch, preparing for today).

Van Ave is a good bet, I think BMC will do well today, just which one?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We need to run a Cancellara sweep stake.

A what km will he ride everyone off his wheel.

23, for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I presume you mean 23 to go!
As soon as I saw a reply I knew what it would be!!.

In fairness I'm not going to commit, certainly not with Cancellara's current form :lol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
We need to run a Cancellara sweep stake.

A what km will he ride everyone off his wheel.

23, for me.

I shall go 42km to go, to truly embarrass everybody else at their weakness.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Will anyone NOT have Cancellara for today? (this question brought to you by me - the peson who thought leaving SAGAN out twice was a good idea!)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Oh dear Offredo, look where you are going! Strong break up the road, Hayman, Steegmans, O'Grady and Kortesky.

Offredo abandons, he must feel like a very silly boy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's strange they didn't mention 300/1 Martin Muskrat as a potential outsider, to win.

Anyone know the potential ETA?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Paris - Roubaix is my favourite race on the calendar

Great watching it on telly but i'm missing not being at the side of the road..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tell you what, if they think those cobbles are bad, they should try keymer rd - sheesh it's like the trench only actually during the battle of the Somme!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh dear Offredo, look where you are going! Strong break up the road, Hayman, Steegmans, O'Grady and Kortesky.

Offredo abandons, he must feel like a very silly boy.

I think Hayman is the strongest of the Sky riders, certainly in terms of form and experience in this race. Was hoping to work him in to my team but couldn't, and also read he had a bug through the week so went with Stannard instead. He's out the back now apparently.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think Hayman is the strongest of the Sky riders, certainly in terms of form and experience in this race. Was hoping to work him in to my team but couldn't, and also read he had a bug through the week so went with Stannard instead. He's out the back now apparently.

Stannard out the back? Didn't see that, surprising given his form in recent weeks, maybe he peaked too early.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stannard out the back? Didn't see that, surprising given his form in recent weeks, maybe he peaked too early.

Just heard he had a mechanical, the hammer isn't down yet so hopefully he'll get back on no trouble. Thomas down again as I type.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not a day for G.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
G down again, he is not having a lot of luck this spring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here