Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Me and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] are doing the Paris-Roubaix challenge on April 6th, the day before the actual race which we are then going to watch. 170km over the famous cobbles. I may have to wear three pairs of shorts (I presume it'll be shorts weather by then...)

I'm both dreading and really looking forward to this! You'll see my effort on Strava.

Wow. That's a day out and a half.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What other reason could there possibly be.

It's a shame I can't have Billy Bonnet and Jeff Soup in the same team.

Oh I don't know...perhaps picking riders with the intention of trying to pick up points might be a novel idea.

Anyway, if you're playing that game then you're cheating because young Jeff is a respectable pick in any race, even if he was called something sensible like Laurent.

On a left field note. Everyone will essentially be starting with 8 riders for MSN because I can't believe they'll be a player in all of fantasy land that won't have Sagan in. You could leave him out and start with an extra rider than everyone else. Sound appealing?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This may help in the 23mm, 25mm or 28mm quandary?? Or, perhaps it won't.

Tire Rolling Resistance | Roues Artisanales
Hello [MENTION=705]Jeep[/MENTION] :wave:

I doubt it's RR that the boys are going to have an issue with.

'there ain't no rolling on them cobbles', they are pedalling all the way :lol:

It's wear and tear + grip, where the issues are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I don't know...perhaps picking riders with the intention of trying to pick up points might be a novel idea.

Anyway, if you're playing that game then you're cheating because young Jeff is a respectable pick in any race, even if he was called something sensible like Laurent.

On a left field note. Everyone will essentially be starting with 8 riders for MSN because I can't believe they'll be a player in all of fantasy land that won't have Sagan in. You could leave him out and start with an extra rider than everyone else. Sound appealing?
I'm sitting with Haussler as well at the moment, but he's over priced.

Anyway Jeff is a solid pick, but how did he come to our attention?

Bonnet Bonnet Bonnet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You've surely got to have a Jim in there then as well. If he finishes, and it's a big if, then he may just snaffle you 10 big ones for lanterne rouge :thumbsup:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Hmmm... Leave Sagan out for someone else.... In a 1-day race it's a bit of a lottery anyway, so if EVERYONE has Sagan you don't gain if he wins. If you leave him out and he wins but you have 2 and 3, you gain. If you leave him out and he doesn't win you might gain, but certainly don't lose.... (Yes, I'm aware I'm just rambling now, thank you!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm... Leave Sagan out for someone else.... In a 1-day race it's a bit of a lottery anyway, so if EVERYONE has Sagan you don't gain if he wins. If you leave him out and he wins but you have 2 and 3, you gain. If you leave him out and he doesn't win you might gain, but certainly don't lose.... (Yes, I'm aware I'm just rambling now, thank you!)
That theory did cross my mind.

Sagan was so dominate putting all but 2 other climbers to the sword over a 27% climb, in the T&A.

It's pointless leaving him out.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I've just checked my porvisional team - 5 riders greyed out, so wholesale changes. To Sagan or not to Sagan, that is the question.... I don't think there's a 27% climb on the run in of MSR though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] - we both had the same idea, lunchtime ride out to take on the Beacon again without 64 miles in the legs! I bettered my Sunday time by nearly 2 mins (7.27 today - still 20secs off my PR though), however you were so close to breaking 7mins, just 2 secs, but still, 7.01 is a great spin up there!

I found some of my route impassable, although some of the snow made for a handy bike stand!

IMG_2602.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As it stands

2 - Brits
2 - Frenchies
1 - Saganish
1 - Dane
1 - Kiwi
1 - Italian
1 - Russian.

I'm pretty chuffed with one of my Frenchies, I think I might have stumbled onto some cheap points.

Mar 12, 2008
[MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] - we both had the same idea, lunchtime ride out to take on the Beacon again without 64 miles in the legs! I bettered my Sunday time by nearly 2 mins (7.27 today - still 20secs off my PR though), however you were so close to breaking 7mins, just 2 secs, but still, 7.01 is a great spin up there!

I found some of my route impassable, although some of the snow made for a handy bike stand!

View attachment 40309

Having not been out since Sunday I was itching for a little spin. Pretty pleased with my time but still only 524th on the Strava leaderboard! The current KOM managed 4.19! At this rate we'll be under 7 mins very soon, the warm weather will certainly help.

Considering entering this next week, going to see what the weather forecast is looking like before we commit. It's on Saturday 23rd March.

Cycling Weekly South Downs Spring Sportive - UK Cycling Events

Let me know if you fancy it!

Mar 12, 2008
Me and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] are doing the Paris-Roubaix challenge on April 6th, the day before the actual race which we are then going to watch. 170km over the famous cobbles. I may have to wear three pairs of shorts (I presume it'll be shorts weather by then...)

I'm both dreading and really looking forward to this! You'll see my effort on Strava.

Respect to [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], sounds like an awesome trip. Not sure my body could take all those cobbles.

Looking forward to seeing the damage on Strava!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Having not been out since Sunday I was itching for a little spin. Pretty pleased with my time but still only 524th on the Strava leaderboard! The current KOM managed 4.19! At this rate we'll be under 7 mins very soon, the warm weather will certainly help.

Considering entering this next week, going to see what the weather forecast is looking like before we commit. It's on Saturday 23rd March.

I will not be under 7 minutes soon. I can't believe you went back there so soon, in this weather!

I may do the South Downs Sportive - like you I'll decide nearer the time. I may drag [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] out for it, though this'll be the first he's heard of it.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011

I have never timed myself getting to the top of the Beacon (just usually pleased enough to get to the top) but sounds like a bit of good motivation. Where does the bottom of Ditchling beacon actually begin, next to the car park?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have never timed myself getting to the top of the Beacon (just usually pleased enough to get to the top) but sounds like a bit of good motivation. Where does the bottom of Ditchling beacon actually begin, next to the car park?

I think so.

You don't have to time yourself, download Strava (a free app) to your phone, and set it to record all your rides. It's great, and motivates you whenever and wherever you get on your bike.

It records all the different segments, and places you in a league table for them. I haven't checked out where I am in the table for Ditchling Beacon...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'll have a look at that, with my 3 kids though, it's not always easy making the time. As for 524th, that's out of 2744 people, with 6765 recorded rides up it on Strava - I wouldn't beat yourself up too much!!! :lolol:

I've never timed it, we're talking about Strava segment times. If you have a smart phone or GPS, you can record your ride with Strava (other apps are available) and it will compare your segment times against other people. I didn't know the time until I saved the ride at the end with Strava. It will look something like this:

Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 20.44.23.png

As you can tell from some of the chats on here, for us amateurs it gives you something to race against and you can set certain goals for yourself. Does make it a lot of fun. Look at the bottom, there is even a North Stand Geeks group!!! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here