Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why thank you, my first NSC Fantasy Cycling Tour win :rock:

Nice to see they now have an overall table excluding the Premium races and NSC has 3 in the top 35!
Good spot, well played chaps.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
By coincidence, you puncheurs did near enough twice what I did yesterday but did not need twice the time. If you ever came out with me, you'd be 3-4 miles into a second circuit as I happily went to the fridge. Keep it up, it is inspiring.

Can you now help me 'get over' my exertions please. Once they adrenaline has worn off I am funked for the next 24 hours. Before I go, it is a glass of squash, a banana, porridge and 2 black coffees. Out its a full bottle of squash and a Nakd bar at 10 and 20 miles, then a frijj and nutella bagel when I get back. Any ideas?

Anything specially designed for recovery is probably a waste of money (e.g any of the health food shop stuff) . Eat regularly during your ride (simple carbohydrates are good - I was always fond of jelly babies) along with good hydration.

Recovery is about carbs as well. In the first hour the muscles take up more glucose, so eating carbs straight away helps. Anything carb based is ok - conventionally simple carbs straight away then something more complex a little while after. A bit of protein enhances the glucose uptake so frijj is perfect.

Nutella is a bit fatty but it's not going to make too much difference.

You will find that as you get fitter, your sugar hunger will diminish as your body switches to using fat on long rides.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So had a busy weekend, without me looking, how are the Brits and Brit team doing. I heard Porte was leading the Paris-Nice, Froome was was leading as was Cav in their respective tours.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Really enjoyable sportive. Great atmosphere, good route, lovely food from Infiinity, thoroughly enjoyable.

Really enjoyed the company of [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and his group, but as the event got fragmented I ended up getting in a group with [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] and his mate. In the end, my official time was 4.38 and a bronze medal. Having 64 miles in my legs hitting the Ditchling Beacon was hard, but I was pretty pleased to get up there in 9mins. Tactically SS got it right, he sat on his mates, then my wheel from Hassocks, then half way up the Beacon he produced an attack and left me for dead. I got up it though which was the main thing for me!

Like I said, nice event, lots of chatting round the course, definitely an annual one to enter for me I think, although hope it's warmer next year!

A fantastic ride, but boy is that Beacon a killer at 64 miles. I got up it. That was my aim!

The wonderful thing was the support from fellow riders going up and down. i got into a group of about 5 of us and we were justing shouting at each other to keep going. That coupled with the "up up up" from riders coming back down the Beacon kept us all going.

Temperature wise, with the exception of that head wind at the end, I felt pretty ok all the way round. Thank goodness we weren't doing it today (Monday)!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So had a busy weekend, without me looking, how are the Brits and Brit team doing. I heard Porte was leading the Paris-Nice, Froome was was leading as was Cav in their respective tours.
Porte won - proper team effort.
Froome winning @ 20 secs - Proper team effort.
Cav won one, but beaten twice by an Aussie and then Sagan.

The latest 'surely not' is Wiggins/Froome/Porte for Giro/Tour/Vuelta.

A few other team DS' are becoming very complimentary of Sky's natural progression saying how they are not laughing now!
But there's little they can do to stop the dominance.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Porte won - proper team effort.
Froome winning @ 20 secs - Proper team effort.
Cav won one, but beaten twice by an Aussie and then Sagan.

The latest 'surely not' is Wiggins/Froome/Porte for Giro/Tour/Vuelta.

A few other team DS' are becoming very complimentary of Sky's natural progression saying how they are not laughing now!
But there's little they can do to stop the dominance.

Cheers, so have all the races finished, would be impressive for Froome to win his second tour of the year and Cav to beat Sagan in a GC. Must try and catch some highlights to get up to speed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still an odd couple of days left for Froome.

Proper stage today, short ITT on Tuesday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Verbruggen: UCI Should Not Have Accepted Armstrong Cash | Cyclingnews.com

Really!!! :facepalm:

Claims to have doubted Armstrong over the years

The UCI should not have accepted the cash donation from Lance Armstrong, former UCI president Hein Verbruggen said on Dutch television. “In retrospect, this was an unfortunate decision.”

He also said that he always had his doubts about Armstrong's performances.

Current UCI president Pat McQuaid has said that Armstrong made two payments to the UCI. He gave them a personal cheque for $25,000 in 2002, and his management company Capital Sports and Entertainment paid $100,000 in 2005.

The first payment was used by the UCI's Anti-Doping Council to conduct anti-doping tests on junior riders, and the second payment went towards a Sysmex blood testing machine.

Verbruggen was president of the UCI when the payments were made, and on Sunday evening told Dutch broadcaster NOS, “If we had known then what we know now, we would have never done that.”

He also denied that the federation helped Armstrong in any way. "It just can not be concluded that we have favoured Armstrong, because we did not. We could do nothing for him.”

Nor did the UCI cover up a positive Armstrong EPO doping control at the 2001 Tour de Suisse, he said, although he seemed to indicate that there was a questionable control. “We warned everyone who was suspicious in the hope that he would stop,” Verbruggen said.

Verbruggen, 71, had long been a public supporter of Armstrong, in 2011 telling sporza.be, “ Lance Armstrong has never used doping. Never, never, never,” although he later denied having said that. Now, he claimed that he had always questioned Armstrong's performance. “You always have doubts, but as the president of the UCI you can't bring it out. He was also tested 220 times and never tested positive.”

The confession of Armstrong's doping use was a disappointment. “I did not feel very good at all. I have so far refrained from contact with him, but in the future I think it will still happen. He gave us a lot of trouble and I am still worried.”

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers, so have all the races finished, would be impressive for Froome to win his second tour of the year and Cav to beat Sagan in a GC. Must try and catch some highlights to get up to speed.
He'll have his work cut out, controlling today.
Not Froome-dogs ideal terrain:-

[tweet]311067655199158273 [/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice to see they now have an overall table excluding the Premium races and NSC has 3 in the top 35!

Good spot. It gets better too. If you take out premium players to get a truly level playing field NSC holds 4th, 12th & 16th :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good spot. It gets better too. If you take out premium players to get a truly level playing field NSC holds 4th, 12th & 16th :thumbsup:
& =668th :facepalm:

Are you watching T & A so to speak.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The former champion cyclist tarnais Laurent Jalabert was the victim of a serious accident Monday around 12:45. While riding a bicycle, road Vignardeau Montauban, he was hit by a car coming in the opposite direction. Oblivious to the arrival of emergency, the former champion regained consciousness when firefighters and EMS 82 took him in charge. Hospitalized in Montauban, it suffers from several fractures according to officials from the center operational firefighters Tarn-et-Garonne joined by France 3 Midi-Pyrenees. More in a few minutes.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
& =668th :facepalm:

Are you watching T & A so to speak.

Nope, snowed off work but off to pick the kids up from school later so just live ticker & highlights of finale later. Should be good, they HAVE to attack Froome today seeing as it's only short TT left. Big names in the break.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
mental climb

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Back home now and in time for last 16km live :clap:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
and the question is, 'where is Chris Froome?'

Was always going to struggle to control this, some truly brutal little climbs. And Nibs going crazy on the scary wet descents. Am I being a traitor if I say that it's nice to see Sky unable to control things for a change?. Much more exciting.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
That climb at 16km to go was mental! Sky don't win pretty, so seeing a bit of 'every man for himself' is nice for a change. Froome certainly needs to work on his descending though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here