Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Back to the P-N...

8/9 scorers, best ever haul of 216 and 6th overall. Yes 6th! By a single point, but I'll take (and milk) that. Sorry teaboy.

1, 2, 4, 5, 7 & 9.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Back to the P-N...

8/9 scorers, best ever haul of 216 and 6th overall. Yes 6th! By a single point, but I'll take (and milk) that. Sorry teaboy.

1, 2, 4, 5, 7 & 9.

Nice.

Congrats to Cranky on NSC Paris-Nice victory :clap2:

Mar 12, 2008
It was bloody cold, and the last ten (ish) miles before the Beacon were into a freezing headwind.

It's too early in the season to ride fast up the Beacon. (Well, in my case, it's never possible to ride fast up the Beacon.)
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] finished in 4 hrs 38 mins, I finished in 4 hrs 42mins, [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] in 4 hrs 53 mins, all Bronze times. Sorry SB.

We had a food stop (I know, I know...but it was COLD) - without it we would have all made the deadline for silver.

It was a good ride, and now I'm getting cramp in my thighs. It was MUCH more hilly than we'd been led to believe.

Also bumped into [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION]. I don't know his time, but I think he finished before me.

Really enjoyable sportive. Great atmosphere, good route, lovely food from Infiinity, thoroughly enjoyable.

Really enjoyed the company of [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and his group, but as the event got fragmented I ended up getting in a group with [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] and his mate. In the end, my official time was 4.38 and a bronze medal. Having 64 miles in my legs hitting the Ditchling Beacon was hard, but I was pretty pleased to get up there in 9mins. Tactically SS got it right, he sat on his mates, then my wheel from Hassocks, then half way up the Beacon he produced an attack and left me for dead. I got up it though which was the main thing for me!

Like I said, nice event, lots of chatting round the course, definitely an annual one to enter for me I think, although hope it's warmer next year!

Crawled across the line after 4 hrs 29 mins to scrape a silver, albeit with some help over the last few miles from my mate and BS. Playing 90 mins of football yesterday on a boggy pitch wasn't ideal preparation. I was reasonably pleased with my time until I bumped into a mate at HQ afterwards - he knocked it out in 3 hrs 24 mins!

Met PM and BS at the feed stop (excellent chocolate brownies - sorry SB) and it took us a while to catch up with them. BS would have a gold around his neck if it wasn't for his conker sized bladder :)

Given the time of year, it was an ideal distance. Nice route, well signposted, friendly volunteers and decent refreshments.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
One for the Cyclists of NSC
In the process of repairing my old man's bike to do the London to Brighton bike ride. The brakes are made by 'QUAD' and are hydraulic. The front hose is FOOKED and I need a new one. Have had no luck so far and would be quite happy with a universal one if that's possible. Does anyone know where I could get one from?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One for the Cyclists of NSC
In the process of repairing my old man's bike to do the London to Brighton bike ride. The brakes are made by 'QUAD' and are hydraulic. The front hose is FOOKED and I need a new one. Have had no luck so far and would be quite happy with a universal one if that's possible. Does anyone know where I could get one from?
How fooked?

Hydraulic Disc Brakes, Maintenance - cycle-route.com

A 30 sec google search has drawn a blank on QUAD hydraulic cables, but they seem well used.
I suggest you call a supplier and ask what can be used.
These were the first people to come up:-

Find us : Welcome to Hobson Cycles

Jagwire IMHO make some of the bestest cables and if you get the all clear to use them, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this:-
Mountain Pro Hydraulic Hose | Jagwire

Oh as is customary in such matters, you could just wait for [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
By coincidence, you puncheurs did near enough twice what I did yesterday but did not need twice the time. If you ever came out with me, you'd be 3-4 miles into a second circuit as I happily went to the fridge. Keep it up, it is inspiring.

Can you now help me 'get over' my exertions please. Once they adrenaline has worn off I am funked for the next 24 hours. Before I go, it is a glass of squash, a banana, porridge and 2 black coffees. Out its a full bottle of squash and a Nakd bar at 10 and 20 miles, then a frijj and nutella bagel when I get back. Any ideas?

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
I think he lent it to someone who twisted the bars 360 degrees and rode it, with the hose being eaten gradually by rubbing on the tyre. Ass! So yeah definitely shagged. I've spoken to a bike shop in Seaford who said they can get me the correct hose but £33. Just for one hose seems a bit steep or do you think that's reasonable? Cheers for your help :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
By coincidence, you puncheurs did near enough twice what I did yesterday but did not need twice the time. If you ever came out with me, you'd be 3-4 miles into a second circuit as I happily went to the fridge. Keep it up, it is inspiring.

Can you now help me 'get over' my exertions please. Once they adrenaline has worn off I am funked for the next 24 hours. Before I go, it is a glass of squash, a banana, porridge and 2 black coffees. Out its a full bottle of squash and a Nakd bar at 10 and 20 miles, then a frijj and nutella bagel when I get back. Any ideas?

I play a lot of squash as well and I find the High5 http://highfive.co.uk/product-category/hydrate which is a tablet into your bottle of water really good for rehydration, before, during and after a ride. I actually got through 3litres of fluid for the 65 miles today. I also use their 4:1 protein/carb powder which you add to water, both during and after the ride.

Doesn't sound like you're doing too badly though, but I do eat during ride, especially anything over 90mins or so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What sort of funk, just tired or stiff, achy, disorientated?

There's not a great deal wrong with what you're doing.

I'd try and keep moving as a 'warm down'. The obvious temptation after a strenuous ride is to hit the sofa, which will seize you up.

Up your fluid intake post recovery, plenty of water, you do sweat out a lot.

If you're really struggling Holland and Barrett et al will have recovery stuff, Amino acid tablets (I think that's what you'd need)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he lent it to someone who twisted the bars 360 degrees and rode it, with the hose being eaten gradually by rubbing on the tyre. Ass! So yeah definitely shagged. I've spoken to a bike shop in Seaford who said they can get me the correct hose but £33. Just for one hose seems a bit steep or do you think that's reasonable? Cheers for your help :)
A Jagwire wire kit will do both for that money, although I don't think they are compatible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here