Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
How many puncture repairs are acceptable before you replace the inner tube?

I had a puncture on me way into work today (the inner tube has THREE patches already) and I can't decide whether to just go and get another inner tube or repair the puncture. They have come in quite quick succession so I have a feeling that the inner tube might have started to wear.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

I had a puncture on me way into work today (the inner tube has THREE patches already) and I can't decide whether to just go and get another inner tube or repair the puncture. They have come in quite quick succession so I have a feeling that the inner tube might have started to wear.

Zero! :D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Your tube isn't worn out.
Firstly you need to keep your three well inflated.
B) When fixing a puncture you MUST make sure the tyre and wheel are clear of debris.
3) As IL says, ideally none.
VI - Many an ol' timey bicylist will refuse to give up on a tube until it is only patches, so keep going

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The other thing to check as well as pressure, is the quality of the tyre. Winter roads full of grit and debris will puncture poor tyres. Repeated punctures in the same wheel is likely to be more about the tyre than the tube.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I've solved the problem temporarily by going and purchasing a new inner tube, and replacing the punctured one, so I will at least be able to cycle home. I reckon, as suggested, the problem is actually the TYRE as it looks like there are lots of little cuts and grazes on it. Would anyone be so kind as to suggest a new tyre for a racing bike that is mostly used for a commute? I don't want the punctures and the consequent walk of SHAME home/to work, depending on far I have got, to become a regular feature of my morning rides.

As a aside, if I was to go and get my puncture repaired at Evans Cycles on Fenchurch Street it would cost me £13.95 just for the labour. I might go into the puncture repair business. Must be lucrative.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've solved the problem temporarily by going and purchasing a new inner tube, and replacing the punctured one, so I will at least be able to cycle home. I reckon, as suggested, the problem is actually the TYRE as it looks like there are lots of little cuts and grazes on it. Would anyone be so kind as to suggest a new tyre for a racing bike that is mostly used for a commute? I don't want the punctures and the consequent walk of SHAME home/to work, depending on far I have got, to become a regular feature of my morning rides.

As a aside, if I was to go and get my puncture repaired at Evans Cycles on Fenchurch Street it would cost me £13.95 just for the labour. I might go into the puncture repair business. Must be lucrative.

The Conti Gator Hardshells have been pretty much bomb proof for me, although not got out on them as much as I'd like this winter. Once the spring arrives I'll put my Conti 4000S tyres back on as they are a bit faster.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorhardshell-road-tyre/

They also do a SuperSport Plus which is even better for a commute, but maybe not so good for longer rides.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-supersport-plus-folding-road-tyre/

Oh, and I actually bought a load of tubes for spares etc. for longer rides from this place, and I've not problems at all and very cheap. http://www.innertubeshop.com

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]306409405631586304[/tweet]

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
The other thing to check as well as pressure, is the quality of the tyre. Winter roads full of grit and debris will puncture poor tyres. Repeated punctures in the same wheel is likely to be more about the tyre than the tube.

Totally agree with this, I have had about five punctures through this winter and got through two tyres. Buying cheap tyres was my downfall and I literally paid the price. I unfortunately belong to the throw away culture where the days of a bit of glue and rubber have long gone. I recently brought a bunch of tubes from J E James Cycles for £1.50 each!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
5 or 6 right. Must be the obvious choice. Might need a new pick.

If the Czech was one of the correct guesses then you'll be needing to look again as apparently he's now been switched to ride TA instead.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What is going on gentlemen? We had slipped to half way down the second page!

How about this? Turn your Converse in to the worst cycling shoes in Christendom?

Trainers in to SPDs

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
In further news my own refurbishment project starts this coming weekend. I am finally getting round to putting all the ten speed bits from my Felt that I never ride, on to my commuter/winter hack. Pictures to follow, although they are not going to look much different really. Also I will now have a spare frame if anyone is interested in taking it off me, it is a Felt F75 in LARGE (American Large so it is pretty big) it looks like this:

felt-f75-2007-road-bike.jpg

And comes with frame, fork and headset. I'll even through in the saddle if you want it (you probably don't though as it is rubbish).

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Thats pretty cool

I know, at least it sounds cool. The only problem is it will never work, imagine how long it will take to rip them out of Converse especially. I ride to work everyday in Converse and you may as well be bare foot the soles are so flexible and thin. I suppose it could work in something thicker though. A set of these for the winter anyone?

dm146011004.jpg

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
3 French
1 Dutch
1 Danish
1 Aussie
1 Norwegian
1 Belgian
1 Brit (obviously...)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
3 French Bouhanni, Chavanel, Voeckler
1 Dutch Gesink
1 Danish Fuglsang
1 Aussie Haussler
1 Norwegian Kristoff
1 Belgian Gilbert
1 Brit (obviously...)Tiernan Locke

???

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
5/9

I'm expecting at least 3 to be greyed out before the start though, so things will change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here