Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Bloody Notifications! :rolleyes:

A BLACK Allez. :thumbsup:

As long as they have it in-store.

Think I saw that... We could have been 'bicycle friends'.

tumblr_l0xot99bcP1qb2rg4o1_500.jpg

Light snow and dark, but we've become acquainted at last. Its gonna be a completely different experience. The MTB would let me relax, but the new girl won't let me let go for a second. Very skittish. She plainly likes it hard. The faster I pedal, the more she tells me to go faster. I'm really gonna miss the security of instant braking as my fingers aren't that long so I feel I need to stretch once in braking position. Sixth sense should save any non-braking emergencies. All prepped for tomorrow morning but the forecast is not promising.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Light snow and dark, but we've become acquainted at last. Its gonna be a completely different experience. The MTB would let me relax, but the new girl won't let me let go for a second. Very skittish. She plainly likes it hard. The faster I pedal, the more she tells me to go faster. I'm really gonna miss the security of instant braking as my fingers aren't that long so I feel I need to stretch once in braking position. Sixth sense should save any non-braking emergencies. All prepped for tomorrow morning but the forecast is not promising.
I'm not sure I understand your braking worries.

Are you saying even when 'riding on the hoods', with your hands on the back of the brakes:-

6284279789_3081516689.jpg

Your fingers aren't long enough to instantly apply the brake.

Assuming you are able to go out tomorrow, and you ride safely, you'll be a lot more confident and composed on 'her' by the time you get back. The trick is to be relaxed.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm sure I'll get used to it. Feels like it'll be a gear-change application rather than a brake one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure I'll get used to it. Feels like it'll be a gear-change application rather than a brake one.
Yeah a little bit of work there, as it's both.

It'll all come together pretty quickly.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011

Coming from originally mountain biking I never find road braking as comfortable and responsive and sometimes get cramp in my hand if I cycle a lot, especially around town where I am braking a lot. I guess once you get on some nice country roads the need to have your hands continually stretched over the levers is negated and becomes a much more comfortable ride.

Enjoy tomorrow, I'm still feeling a bit wimpish about those cold northerly winds

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Anyone else been watching the World Track Championships? Some amazing rides, especially from Martin Irvine in the scratch race, and Simon Yates in the Points race.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Coming from originally mountain biking I never find road braking as comfortable and responsive and sometimes get cramp in my hand if I cycle a lot, especially around town where I am braking a lot. I guess once you get on some nice country roads the need to have your hands continually stretched over the levers is negated and becomes a much more comfortable ride.

Enjoy tomorrow, I'm still feeling a bit wimpish about those cold northerly winds

You and me both. I've pulled out of my ride tomorrow, looking forward to a good, long, warm lie in.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Ah, cobbles.

Foolishly, @Hamilton and I have signed up for the Paris-Roubaix Challenge - 170 km of the Hell of the North, including all the paves, finishing in the velodrome...

Then we'll be watching the experts do it the next day, being transported along the course to various watching points.

Only 6 weeks away now. And too cold to get out and train properly. Oh God...

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Maybe I should have stayed in?

Not snowing when I got up, but was when I set off. Needed to be very careful on descents. Roads were variable. No traction on second 4 climb, so had to walk it. Had a 1mph off, losing the front suddenly. Decided to walk down the other 4.

Positives: Where the road was roughly flat and not snowy it was man and machine in harmony; I just noticed I was going much faster without trying. I used to experience pins and needles in my hands but not today, just has to be the bars and possible different holds.

Any 'cool points' for a drink that turned into a Slush Puppy?

Not the ride I wanted, but still came in grinning.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
With the first of the early classics taking place today and some live Eurosport coverage of Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne tomorrow, I thought I'd better check out our fixture list for any clashes.

How jolly decent and considerate of the powers that be to schedule the big one, against Palace, for Sunday 17th March. Means it's going to be a fantastic weekend what with MSR taking place on the Saturday :clap: As far as I can tell there's no clashes at all. Result!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Forgot to mention how not uncomfortable the seek was if you know what I mean. I thought it might cause a bit of shuffling, but none at all.

A variety of new muscle aches: buttock, back and neck. I'll chalk the neck down to the tumble and the others to new riding position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Forgot to mention how not uncomfortable the seek was if you know what I mean. I thought it might cause a bit of shuffling, but none at all.

A variety of new muscle aches: buttock, back and neck. I'll chalk the neck down to the tumble and the others to new riding position.
Every once in a while and for no apparent reason a goolie will get out of position, and just won't play ball. (so to speak)
It'll not sort itself out until you stop and give it some 'manual handling'.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Every once in a while and for no apparent reason a goolie will get out of position, and just won't play ball. (so to speak)
It'll not sort itself out until you stop and give it some 'manual handling'.

I never knew that. Had it happen a few times in my rugby days so no stranger to it. Surprisingly not at all painful although you'd think you'd be on the floor in tears.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A bit of an update, I have raised my budget to £750-£800.

Maybe THAT Bianchi, SB posted.

Steering clear of the Fuji's.
Careful, there's a lot of choice available.

The £750 to £999 price bracket is very keenly fought over by ALL manufactures.
It's basically the non-carbon battle ground.

£1000 - £1500, always used to be the best specced entry level frames v ok specced carbon.
Then onwards up to 'proper' machines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here