[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This one?

cannondale-synapse-6-tiagra-alloy-1024x616.png

That's a nice looking bike, moto.

They aren't to far behind Felt in my US bike stakes, and a long way ahead of Trek.

You'll have some fun with that, I'm quite excited for the first road report (no pressure!)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
HELP....

Front derailleur keeps stopping from taking the chain down from the outer ring to the inner ring.

I've released the cable and limiting screws, however the cage doesn't engage the chain enough to send it down.

Personally I think the cage is bent, probably as a result of the chain crunching through between the cage and crank when it slipped off the outer ring. This has happened a couple of times, although I am now mastering the art of getting the chain back on without stopping. I can't think of a specific time, or the gears failing as a direct result, but it is the only thing I can think of to account for the bent cage.

I've actually tried squeezing the cage between a g-clap to get it better aligned (removed from the bike obviously) and once fitted it works perfectly, but what seems to happen is that once out on a ride and after a few changes, the cage goes back out of shape and stops dropping to the lower ring.

At the moment, I'm thinking probably new derailleur, but any other smart ideas as it's a shame to write it off when it is in very good nick. Is this common? Am I imaging things? Should I get a hammer out?

Photo's below may or may not help you see the shape...

View attachment 39684View attachment 39685

I can honestly say that there are few worse feelings than approaching a steep hill, going through your mental checklist and preparation only for your chain not to be dropping down!! It actually happened to me before Clayton hill before Xmas, and to get up it I had to endure a horrible gear at a painful cadence.....although did smash my PB! :thumbsup:

Okay, update on my own post:

I took the front derailleur off the bike, got it in a g-clamp and slowly tightened around the main part of the cage until I could visible the shape return to a more parallel alignment. Gave it a bit more on the rear part of the cage (which does really touch the chain) to squeeze that in a bit.

Anyway, for now the up shot is that it's now changing very well and set up nicely. Will have to see if this lasts.

Incidently, I got one of these for Xmas, and it is a superb piece of kit for the money:
$(KGrHqZ,!jIFEFPcjR,mBRFQf9u4hg~~60_12.JPG

BIKE STAND

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Today I brought a new bike.

Annoyingly, no scheme at work.

Sadly, the stylish Italian was not for me. I'm no short arse, but it was designed for the very tall. I could tell it was so when it was pointed out to me. The nearest stylish Italian was £700 and I couldn't go that far. I tried to see what they could do, but we were too far apart.

On to the Spesh. Very nice close up, but I was still hurting from missing out on the Italian. Chap said he'd have a look downstairs and came back with a surprise, a Cannondale Synapse. Something inside told me to say "sold" immediately, but I played it cool. Went for a fitting before laying on the budget and absence of scheme funding. They could not drop the price, but they could chuck in some goodies. Here she is:

View attachment 39692

Can't find a better pic. All paid for and being brought home tomorrow. Slightly bigger tyres and a nice low lowest gear. I'm f happy.

Myself, [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], [MENTION=25389]Jay Cartwright[/MENTION], [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION], [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] will look forward to tracking you and your new ride's progress on STRAVA in due course then!? :thumbsup:

Nice PB [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] going up the Beacon on Tuesday, I must give it another crack as I haven't gone near it since my own PB back in October! I did get out this week though for a gentle north bound run up the Steyning Bostal, certainly great to get out in some sunshine again, and the views were amazing.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Myself, [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], [MENTION=25389]Jay Cartwright[/MENTION], [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION], [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] will look forward to tracking you and your new ride's progress on STRAVA in due course then!? :thumbsup:

Nice PB [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] going up the Beacon on Tuesday, I must give it another crack as I haven't gone near it since my own PB back in October! I did get out this week though for a gentle north bound run up the Steyning Bostal, certainly great to get out in some sunshine again, and the views were amazing.

Motogull is on Strava already - he's following me, I'm following him. So is [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] who really should be on this thread more - he's always been a geek, and he's grown to love cycling.

PM me - I'll hook you up (unless they see this first - then they can sort it themselves!)

By the way, are you still busy with your son's football on Saturday mornings? A group of us (a grupetto) have sort of broken away from Mitre, and we go on more social 50 -60 milers each week. Join us if you can! Always back in time for the Albion, obviously.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Mar 12, 2008

Cheers Bold. After barely touching my bike during Dec and Jan I've thrown myself back into it this month. I've signed up to the Puncheur Sportive on March 10th, it finishes on top of the Beacon, hence the Bostal taking a back seat for the moment! You chose a great day to go out, no wind and the sun was shining. The Bostal (north) is a decent climb, certainly gets the lungs going!

Any other geeks signed up or done it before?

PUNCHEUR | March 2013 Sportive | Topline Details

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cheers Bold. After barely touching my bike during Dec and Jan I've thrown myself back into it this month. I've signed up to the Puncheur Sportive on March 10th, it finishes on top of the Beacon, hence the Bostal taking a back seat for the moment! You chose a great day to go out, no wind and the sun was shining. The Bostal (north) is a decent climb, certainly gets the lungs going!

Any other geeks signed up or done it before?

PUNCHEUR | March 2013 Sportive | Topline Details

I might sign up for that one. Thanks for the link. Any idea what time it starts, can't see on the website?

'or take a leisurely 10min spin up the beacon' sod that, all or nothing for me. Want to get well into the 6 min mark this year.

edit: okay, I see registration starts 7.15, first riders out 7.30am.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cheers chaps. Brought her home today and she's primed ready for an early start on Saturday. Might go for a shakedown on Friday evening because them gears are gonna take some getting used to. And the brakes as they will not be at my fingertips all the time any more. It better not be raining.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Cheers chaps. Brought her home today and she's primed ready for an early start on Saturday. Might go for a shakedown on Friday evening because them gears are gonna take some getting used to. And the brakes as they will not be at my fingertips all the time any more. It better not be raining.
Pics!!! ???

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Puncheur is beyond me at the mo SS, but it looks exactly what I'd like to do though.

- - - Updated - - -

All in good time Jay. It was dark when I got her in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fantasy.
I've just realised what the Premium Early Classics are:-

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne
&
Strade Bianche :cry:

Fingers crossed I'll be watching The Strade, t'is a shame they'll be no fantasy fun.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Fantasy.
I've just realised what the Premium Early Classics are:-

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne
&
Strade Bianche :cry:

Fingers crossed I'll be watching The Strade, t'is a shame they'll be no fantasy fun.

A little bit of me is looking forward to enjoying the race without worrying about where my fantasy team riders are!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here