Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Not sure about Kittel or larsson. What about bos as the sprinter!

On the track - yes. On the road - no.

We should have at least 1 French rider in there too. Bouhanni? Pinot? Ooh - and DEFINITELY the FDJ DS from the Tour last year!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mark Madiot.

Ryder H
G
Hoogerland
Tommy V

J Rod
De Ghendt
Chavez
Demare

Gustav Erik Larsson

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Getting pulled off while riding your bike. That's quite a feat!
Absolutely no freakin way, we might not have much class but The Geeks have more class than this:-

It does bring Daryl Impy into play.

But what about Johnny Degenkolb (I reckon I might have got that right)
We all won points in the Vuelta, he's got the name, he's not too German.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
HELP....

Front derailleur keeps stopping from taking the chain down from the outer ring to the inner ring.

I've released the cable and limiting screws, however the cage doesn't engage the chain enough to send it down.

Personally I think the cage is bent, probably as a result of the chain crunching through between the cage and crank when it slipped off the outer ring. This has happened a couple of times, although I am now mastering the art of getting the chain back on without stopping. I can't think of a specific time, or the gears failing as a direct result, but it is the only thing I can think of to account for the bent cage.

I've actually tried squeezing the cage between a g-clap to get it better aligned (removed from the bike obviously) and once fitted it works perfectly, but what seems to happen is that once out on a ride and after a few changes, the cage goes back out of shape and stops dropping to the lower ring.

At the moment, I'm thinking probably new derailleur, but any other smart ideas as it's a shame to write it off when it is in very good nick. Is this common? Am I imaging things? Should I get a hammer out?

Photo's below may or may not help you see the shape...

i_2013021915004819.jpgi_2013021915004816.jpg

I can honestly say that there are few worse feelings than approaching a steep hill, going through your mental checklist and preparation only for your chain not to be dropping down!! It actually happened to me before Clayton hill before Xmas, and to get up it I had to endure a horrible gear at a painful cadence.....although did smash my PB! :thumbsup:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
It may have twisted slightly if the retaining screw want done up tight, or you have a bit if gravel in the mechanism, or it could be dry and slightly seized.

If it doesn't chatter when on the big ring it is probably not twisted, if it does realign it then lube it all up. Send the mech all the way to the big ring. Look in and around the springs for a small stone. If there is one there extract it and live with silicon grease/spray. If not that then lube with silicon grease/spray.

If none of that works then another geek will be along with other ideas I'm sure.

EDIT: Just read you complete post. Sounds like it is working its way out of alignment. Possibly the clamp is working lose, or your not giving it enough tension. Not to much tension or you may bend the seat tube.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Today I brought a new bike.

Annoyingly, no scheme at work.

Sadly, the stylish Italian was not for me. I'm no short arse, but it was designed for the very tall. I could tell it was so when it was pointed out to me. The nearest stylish Italian was £700 and I couldn't go that far. I tried to see what they could do, but we were too far apart.

On to the Spesh. Very nice close up, but I was still hurting from missing out on the Italian. Chap said he'd have a look downstairs and came back with a surprise, a Cannondale Synapse. Something inside told me to say "sold" immediately, but I played it cool. Went for a fitting before laying on the budget and absence of scheme funding. They could not drop the price, but they could chuck in some goodies. Here she is:

56471_1_Thumb.jpg

Can't find a better pic. All paid for and being brought home tomorrow. Slightly bigger tyres and a nice low lowest gear. I'm f happy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Today I brought a new bike.

Annoyingly, no scheme at work.

Sadly, the stylish Italian was not for me. I'm no short arse, but it was designed for the very tall. I could tell it was so when it was pointed out to me. The nearest stylish Italian was £700 and I couldn't go that far. I tried to see what they could do, but we were too far apart.

On to the Spesh. Very nice close up, but I was still hurting from missing out on the Italian. Chap said he'd have a look downstairs and came back with a surprise, a Cannondale Synapse. Something inside told me to say "sold" immediately, but I played it cool. Went for a fitting before laying on the budget and absence of scheme funding. They could not drop the price, but they could chuck in some goodies. Here she is:

View attachment 39692

Can't find a better pic. All paid for and being brought home tomorrow. Slightly bigger tyres and a nice low lowest gear. I'm f happy.

Good on ya! :thumbsup: Enjoy.

Nice bit of news that to go with the 1-0 up at half time against Cardiff :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
HELP....

Front derailleur keeps stopping from taking the chain down from the outer ring to the inner ring.

I've released the cable and limiting screws, however the cage doesn't engage the chain enough to send it down.

Personally I think the cage is bent, probably as a result of the chain crunching through between the cage and crank when it slipped off the outer ring. This has happened a couple of times, although I am now mastering the art of getting the chain back on without stopping. I can't think of a specific time, or the gears failing as a direct result, but it is the only thing I can think of to account for the bent cage.

I've actually tried squeezing the cage between a g-clap to get it better aligned (removed from the bike obviously) and once fitted it works perfectly, but what seems to happen is that once out on a ride and after a few changes, the cage goes back out of shape and stops dropping to the lower ring.

At the moment, I'm thinking probably new derailleur, but any other smart ideas as it's a shame to write it off when it is in very good nick. Is this common? Am I imaging things? Should I get a hammer out?

Photo's below may or may not help you see the shape...

View attachment 39684View attachment 39685

I can honestly say that there are few worse feelings than approaching a steep hill, going through your mental checklist and preparation only for your chain not to be dropping down!! It actually happened to me before Clayton hill before Xmas, and to get up it I had to endure a horrible gear at a painful cadence.....although did smash my PB! :thumbsup:

I was having chain drop problems with my bike. Indurain's Lungs recommended I looked at the angle of the front mech as well as just looking at the height (which was already fine). It worked for me. If you're still confused you might want to youtube it and try several walk throughs until you get one that works for you. Good luck.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm gonna veto Chavez based on a stupid name.

In his place I think should be Jon Izagirre. Young(ish) and upcoming. However being Spanish........

Go on, admit it, veto on the basis that I alone had a massive points haul off him for the Giro that swept me to a NSC fantasy maglia rosa :wink:

It's Rubiano, not Chávez, but SB refuses to listen.

But anyway, nothing wrong with the name Chávez - just look at Venezuela for conformation of what a proper working class politician can achieve :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was having chain drop problems with my bike. Indurain's Lungs recommended I looked at the angle of the front mech as well as just looking at the height (which was already fine). It worked for me. If you're still confused you might want to youtube it and try several walk throughs until you get one that works for you. Good luck.

Pretty sure it's not alignment or height as I've tried all possibilities and been through YouTube /Park Tool guides - hence my lasting conclusion now is it must be bent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here