Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
I'm a moron, when it comes to buying bikes, the one I'm looking at tomorrow is £550, from Evans so it may well be cheaper than that.
Whether it's worth it or not. :shrug:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
All those centurions put your hands up :wave:

:wave:

Also, the only person in our league to pick the winner? My Mrs. Shows what we know really doesn't it? 7th in the league as well, she would not even know bike racing existed if I hadn't made her watch so much of it.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
I'm a moron, when it comes to buying bikes, the one I'm looking at tomorrow is £550, from Evans so it may well be cheaper than that.
Whether it's worth it or not. :shrug:
These are the specs, If someone could tell me if these are any good or not (for the price) £550, please tell me. :thumbsup:

PRODUCT MODEL YEAR: (2013)

PRODUCT OPTIONS: 47 cm - Available to order,
50 cm - Available to order,
52 cm - Available to order,
54 cm - Available to order,
56 cm - Available to order,
58 cm - Available to order,
60 cm - Available to order,
62 cm - Available to order
Frame: 100 Series Alpha Aluminium
Forks: Trek aluminium road
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 2300
Front Derailleur: Shimano 2300, 34.9mm clamp
Shifters: Shimano 2300 STI, 8 speed
Chainset: Vuelta Corsa, 50/34 (compact)
Bottom Bracket: Cartridge
Freewheel: Sun Race CSR86 12-25, 8 speed
Headset: 1-1/8" semi-cartridge bearings
Stem: Bontrager Sport, 26.0mm, 10 degree
Handlebars: Bontrager SSR VR-C, 26.0mm
Front Brake: Aluminium dual-pivot brakes
Rear Brake: Aluminium dual-pivot brakes
Brake Levers: Shimano 2300 STI lever
Rims: Bontrager Approved aluminium rims
Front Hub: Aluminium
Rear Hub: Aluminium
Tyres: Bontrager T1, 700x23c
Saddle: Bontrager Affinity 1, steel rails
Seatpost: Bontrager SSR, 12mm offset
Pedals: Nylon body w/aluminium cage
Grips: Bontrager Gel Cork tape
Miscellaneous: Mudguard & rack mounts

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The Chinook is £420 full price.

I might just try my luck at Wildside. They'll do interest free over 12 months, but not on sale bikes. I wonder if they'll be flexible if I say I'll walk out the door if they try to dig in?

I'd better treat the Mrs to something if I do go shopping.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
These are the specs, If someone could tell me if these are any good or not (for the price) £550, please tell me. :thumbsup:

Trek, Spesh, Giant et al, at that price point put bikes together with the onus on one thing or another, but all from the same 'parts bin'.One might have a slightly better drive train, but lesser wheels, visa versa and so on, almost indefinitely, if that makes sense.

My instant eye brow raiser would be the fact it's only 8 speed, although that may well be eased by the fact it's a compact.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

PRODUCT MODEL YEAR: (2013)

PRODUCT OPTIONS: 47 cm - Available to order,
50 cm - Available to order,
52 cm - Available to order,
54 cm - Available to order,
56 cm - Available to order,
58 cm - Available to order,
60 cm - Available to order,
62 cm - Available to order
Frame: 100 Series Alpha Aluminium
Forks: Trek aluminium road
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 2300
Front Derailleur: Shimano 2300, 34.9mm clamp
Shifters: Shimano 2300 STI, 8 speed
Chainset: Vuelta Corsa, 50/34 (compact)
Bottom Bracket: Cartridge
Freewheel: Sun Race CSR86 12-25, 8 speed
Headset: 1-1/8" semi-cartridge bearings
Stem: Bontrager Sport, 26.0mm, 10 degree
Handlebars: Bontrager SSR VR-C, 26.0mm
Front Brake: Aluminium dual-pivot brakes
Rear Brake: Aluminium dual-pivot brakes
Brake Levers: Shimano 2300 STI lever
Rims: Bontrager Approved aluminium rims
Front Hub: Aluminium
Rear Hub: Aluminium
Tyres: Bontrager T1, 700x23c
Saddle: Bontrager Affinity 1, steel rails
Seatpost: Bontrager SSR, 12mm offset
Pedals: Nylon body w/aluminium cage
Grips: Bontrager Gel Cork tape
Miscellaneous: Mudguard & rack mounts

It is what you well get at the price point from any and everyone, I should think, I'm not as up on these things now I do not work in a bike shop. But this is a price point every manufacturer makes a bike for, so they are all pretty evenly specced. The Boardman at £500 probably has better components, not sure about the frame though. Buy some new tyres straight away, or talk them in to replacing them for you gratis, those cheap Bonti's are dreadful, you'll get a puncture pushing it out the shop!

I'll have a proper look at other bikes at that price point tomorrow if you want, but I suspect that my first feelings are correct. It seems you have your heart set on this bike anyway, and it certainly would not be a bad choice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is what you well get at the price point from any and everyone, I should think, I'm not as up on these things now I do not work in a bike shop. But this is a price point every manufacturer makes a bike for, so they are all pretty evenly specced. The Boardman at £500 probably has better components, not sure about the frame though. Buy some new tyres straight away, or talk them in to replacing them for you gratis, those cheap Bonti's are dreadful, you'll get a puncture pushing it out the shop!

I'll have a proper look at other bikes at that price point tomorrow if you want, but I suspect that my first feelings are correct. It seems you have your heart set on this bike anyway, and it certainly would not be a bad choice.
I could have said that, but I chose not to make any sense :lol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Trek, Spesh, Giant et al, at that price point put bikes together with the onus on one thing or another, but all from the same 'parts bin'.One might have a slightly better drive train, but lesser wheels, visa versa and so on, almost indefinitely, if that makes sense.

My instant eye brow raiser would be the fact it's only 8 speed, although that may well be eased by the fact it's a compact.

Calm your boots with your 8 speed. We all got on fine with that many gears, or less, for years and years. Now it is 10, 11 and even 12 and completely pointless really. My old Giant OCR4 that I commute on (and ride in the winter) and paid £250 for is only 7 speed!

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton

Thanks, If I buy the bike from South Downs Bikes, albeit £25 more, I get £75 free spend in the shop, meaning I could replace those tyres.
COMPONENTS :: Tyres - Road Racing :: South Downs Bikes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Chinook is £420 full price.

I might just try my luck at Wildside. They'll do interest free over 12 months, but not on sale bikes. I wonder if they'll be flexible if I say I'll walk out the door if they try to dig in?

I'd better treat the Mrs to something if I do go shopping.

Ok in the interests of full disclosure, once you go down this road it's not going to stop EVER :lol:

But seriously, Wildside will do a deal, simple pimple.
Even if they are reluctant on sale bikes, the Spech Allez (I haven't looked at their flat bar stock) I can confidently say will see you right, esp compared to the Chinook.

Part of the reason they'll do the deal, is the spending won't stop there.
You must have a gauged track pump.
They might sell pedals separately.
As [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] says, you may well want to up grade the tyres sooner rather than later.

Wildside know this and they'll be hoping you'll be shopping there, hence doing the deal.
They won't be doing you a 'favour'.
Although a good bike shop will always 'look after you'.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Calm your boots with your 8 speed. We all got on fine with that many gears, or less, for years and years. Now it is 10, 11 and even 12 and completely pointless really. My old Giant OCR4 that I commute on (and ride in the winter) and paid £250 for is only 7 speed!
That's sweet :lol: I've only ever ridden 10 speed, on a regular double.

Am I right in thinking it being a compact will smooth out the gear change, anyway.
It's way to late for me to be thinking about gear ratios.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks, If I buy the bike from South Downs Bikes, albeit £25 more, I get £75 free spend in the shop, meaning I could replace those tyres.
I haven't seen Martin, the owner, for ages, top bloke.

I don't think I've even been in his new store, the old one was tiny bike shop gold.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
This one doesn't look to shabby, but I don't want to bog you all down. :lolol:

Frame:
Specialized A1 Premium Aluminium, fully manipulated tubing with smooth welds
Fork:
Specialized Aluminium fork, alloy steerer and crown, 1-1/8"
Front Derailleur:
Shimano 2300
Rear Derailleur:
Shimano 2300
Number of Gears:
Shifters:
Shimano 2300 STI
Chainset:
Shimano 2300 Compact
Chainrings:
50/34
Bottom Bracket:
Sealed cartridge, square taper, 68mm
Cassette:
Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, 12-25
Chain:
KMC Z51
Pedals:
Nylon flat test ride, loose-ball, w/ reflectors
Front Brake:
Tektro dual-pivot
Rear Brake:
Tektro dual-pivot
Handlebars:
Specialized Comp, 6061 alloy, shallow bend
Stem:
Cast alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm
Headset:
1-1/8" sealed Cr-Mo cartridge bearings integrated w/ headset, 20mm alloy cone spacer, w/ 20mm of spacers
Rims:
Axis Classic wheelset
Front Tyre:
Specialized Espoir Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25c
Rear Tyre:
Specialized Espoir Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25c
Tubes:
Standard Presta valve
Saddle:
Body Geometry Riva Road, Cr-Mo Rails, 143mm
Seatpost:
Specialized Sport alloy, 27.2mm
Seat Binder:
Alloy, 31.8mm

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen Martin, the owner, for ages, top bloke.

I don't think I've even been in his new store, the old one was tiny bike shop gold.

I been in the Storrington shop a couple of times, never been the one in Goring though.

Never bought anything, mind. :lolol:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Ok in the interests of full disclosure, once you go down this road it's not going to stop EVER :lol:

But seriously, Wildside will do a deal, simple pimple.
Even if they are reluctant on sale bikes, the Spech Allez (I haven't looked at their flat bar stock) I can confidently say will see you right, esp compared to the Chinook.

Part of the reason they'll do the deal, is the spending won't stop there.
You must have a gauged track pump.
They might sell pedals separately.
As @Pantani says, you may well want to up grade the tyres sooner rather than later.

Wildside know this and they'll be hoping you'll be shopping there, hence doing the deal.
They won't be doing you a 'favour'.
Although a good bike shop will always 'look after you'.

When I spend £1000 on my first proper mountain bike Rayment used to do a 10% card or £10. So the £1000 was £900. I then spent £100 on accessories. Then a month later spent £60 on energy stuff, a month later spent £200 on clothing, etc...

They see you right on your big purchase and you go back to them, or that's what they hope anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All this is beginning to blur, so I'm off to bed.
Fortunately leaving you in [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION]'s safe hands is in everyone's best interests.

Night all, as usual it's been fun :wave:.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That's sweet :lol: I've only ever ridden 10 speed, on a regular double.

Am I right in thinking it being a compact will smooth out the gear change, anyway.
It's way to late for me to be thinking about gear ratios.

You tend to miss a massive gear for riding around around like some modern day Indurain on a compact chainset, it does give you more for trundling up hill though. I think that is what you mean by smooth out the gear change anyway?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This one doesn't look to shabby, but I don't want to bog you all down. :lolol:

Frame:
Specialized A1 Premium Aluminium, fully manipulated tubing with smooth welds
Fork:
Specialized Aluminium fork, alloy steerer and crown, 1-1/8"
Front Derailleur:
Shimano 2300
Rear Derailleur:
Shimano 2300
Number of Gears:
Shifters:
Shimano 2300 STI
Chainset:
Shimano 2300 Compact
Chainrings:
50/34
Bottom Bracket:
Sealed cartridge, square taper, 68mm
Cassette:
Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, 12-25
Chain:
KMC Z51
Pedals:
Nylon flat test ride, loose-ball, w/ reflectors
Front Brake:
Tektro dual-pivot
Rear Brake:
Tektro dual-pivot
Handlebars:
Specialized Comp, 6061 alloy, shallow bend
Stem:
Cast alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm
Headset:
1-1/8" sealed Cr-Mo cartridge bearings integrated w/ headset, 20mm alloy cone spacer, w/ 20mm of spacers
Rims:
Axis Classic wheelset
Front Tyre:
Rear Tyre:
Tubes:
Standard Presta valve
Saddle:
Body Geometry Riva Road, Cr-Mo Rails, 143mm
Seatpost:
Specialized Sport alloy, 27.2mm
Seat Binder:
Alloy, 31.8mm

- - - Updated - - -

I been in the Storrington shop a couple of times, never been the one in Goring though.

Never bought anything, mind. :lolol:

I would say the Specialized has better tyres, worse brakes (without seeing them, it is quite unspecific but Tektro brakes are generally cheap rubbish), wheels it is hard to say without having a proper look at them, 8 speed rather than 7. For me the clincher would be the frame but I really do not know anything about either so I could not give a reliable answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here