Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All those centurions put your hands up :wave:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wow!, that stage finish today almost reads like a GT queen stage finish at the business end! :clap: How can you not love this race!?

Good old Purito surprised everyone there I suspect. I was convinced he was in training mode here and never had him down for the win today, despite the profile suiting him down to the ground. Surprised by Evans today too.

Luckily they both did me a favour fantasy wise as hardly anyone seems to have had them so they've almost cancelled out the loses I knew I'd make on not being able to get Froome in. I was also fortunate to place 3 other riders in the top 20 aside from Contador & Nibali who everyone had anyway. Biggest let down of the day has to be Gallopin, and as said last night, SB put the kibosh on Velits anyway :lol:

This race is going to be bloody good tomorrow too I reckon. Expect to see attacks from Bert & Nibs surely? Even though the gaps to Froome are too big, those two of all people are bound to want to have dig even if it's just for the sheer fun of it. Throw Evans into the equation as well and it looks like it could be another days great racing. Really gutted there's no proper TV coverage for this.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I knew my faith in Voss would pay off eventually.

Also gone a little southpaw for tomorrow's stage. I need to make up ground so can't go with the obvious. Very much in a kill or cure state with these subs.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
A bad day all round...

11 chuffing fantasy points.

Bike shop refusing to test my bike because of dodgy brakes which I trust on routes taking me on the A20, A26 and down the North Downs. But they'll watch me ride it around their flat forecourt. They are history after tomorrow.

I'm closer to a new bike every day it feels. I really don't want to get another bike, but I could use a new seat, the tyres won't last forever and if I factor in a new front deraileur and possible new shifter with labour charges plus the alleged need for new pads and/or a brake service, it may be the most economic option. I am planning the Haywards Heath 40 miler and the L2B as you know and I need to know I have a bike that won't muck me about. I have my eye on a Claud Butler Chinook which, if it can take nobblies, ticks all my boxes. Best deal £258 from Bikes2UDirect. Any comments good or bad on the bike or site? Thanks in advance.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
A bad day all round...

Bike shop refusing to test my bike because of dodgy brakes which I trust on routes taking me on the A20, A26 and down the North Downs. But they'll watch me ride it around their flat forecourt. They are history after tomorrow.

I'm closer to a new bike every day it feels.
Which shop was it?

I'm heading down Evans tomorrow, to check out my bike. :thumbsup:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
A bad day all round...

I'm closer to a new bike every day it feels. I really don't want to get another bike, but I could use a new seat, the tyres won't last forever and if I factor in a new front deraileur and possible new shifter with labour charges plus the alleged need for new pads and/or a brake service, it may be the most economic option. I am planning the Haywards Heath 40 miler and the L2B as you know and I need to know I have a bike that won't muck me about. I have my eye on a Claud Butler Chinook which, if it can take nobblies, ticks all my boxes. Best deal £258 from Bikes2UDirect. Any comments good or bad on the bike or site? Thanks in advance.

Name and Shame the bike shop. They sound like they are after more money for a brake service instead of fixing the issue.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't wanna go public really. Not my style. I don't mind bleating though. I didn't know George W Bush was a rider BTW (your avatar).

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I don't wanna go public really. Not my style. I don't mind bleating though. I didn't know George W Bush was a rider BTW (your avatar).

What if one of us were to go there and get a dodgy service and were hit by a car due to a crappy gear shift putting them off their pedalling motion?

A bike shop cocking up the gears is a safety issue as much as anything. Definitely think they need naming.

Flat forecourt sounds like Rayment Cycles.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What if one of us were to go there and get a dodgy service and were hit by a car due to a crappy gear shift putting them off their pedalling motion?

A bike shop cocking up the gears is a safety issue as much as anything. Definitely think they need naming.

Flat forecourt sounds like Rayment Cycles.

I use Rayments as my LBS. They have always been helpful, cheerful and friendly, and their service has been excellent. They really put themselves out - well above the call of duty. They know how to tune up a bike, and I'd recommend them to anyone. They know their customers, and care about them.

I can't believe that it was Rayments.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That price point makes it tough to get a creditable bike, new.

For example the Boardman range, which have always had the most competitive spec v price ratio starts at £499.

Traditionally £499 has been the entry level price point.

The problem with bikes below that point is a chunk of money has been cut somewhere.
Chances are that'll be build quality, longevity, and the non drive train components.

Basically a heavy bike with cumbersome wheels, awful tyres, bulky seat, and so on.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm gonna give them the benefit of doubt because it could be that my bike is just knackered from use and abuse. I learnt today that you shouldn't use high rear gears with the low front gear and vice versa. So instead of having a 21 gear bike, it should only be 9; 1,1 1,2 1,3 2,3 2,4 2,5 3,5 3,6 and 3,7. For ages I have been using the full lot unknowingly. I really look a bit of a twit now don't I?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm gonna give them the benefit of doubt because it could be that my bike is just knackered from use and abuse. I learnt today that you shouldn't use high rear gears with the low front gear and vice versa. So instead of having a 21 gear bike, it should only be 9; 1,1 1,2 1,3 2,3 2,4 2,5 3,5 3,6 and 3,7. For ages I have been using the full lot unknowingly. I really look a bit of a twit now don't I?
All part of the learning curve.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I use Rayments as my LBS. They have always been helpful, cheerful and friendly, and their service has been excellent. They really put themselves out - well above the call of duty. They know how to tune up a bike, and I'd recommend them to anyone. They know their customers, and care about them.

I can't believe that it was Rayments.
I can't believe it would be Rayments either as they have always been very good to me as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've had a quick scan on bike sales forum of bikeradar, but they are predominately higher speced bikes.
These 3 popped up pretty quickly.

Cannondale Caad3 Racing Bike 50cms | eBay

specialized allez racing bike | eBay

Giant OCR Racing Bike Large Shimano Sora STI Levers | eBay

It'll be interesting what the geeks think about the likes of the Chinook.
I personally think it could end up costing more in the long run.

But then I have to point out I'm a bike snob (unashamedly) and have no experience of that end of the market.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I may have done too much reading and taken some patter too seriously, but the flat bar option is what I'm after as apparently it is better for you back, if you have had back problems in the past which I have.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've had a quick scan on bike sales forum of bikeradar, but they are predominately higher speced bikes.
These 3 popped up pretty quickly.

Cannondale Caad3 Racing Bike 50cms | eBay

specialized allez racing bike | eBay

Giant OCR Racing Bike Large Shimano Sora STI Levers | eBay

It'll be interesting what the geeks think about the likes of the Chinook.
I personally think it could end up costing more in the long run.

But then I have to point out I'm a bike snob (unashamedly) and have no experience of that end of the market.

I completely agree. I am also an unashamed snob when it comes to bikes, but recognise that when budgets are limited, you need to think outside the box - and all three of the bikes that you have flagged up from ebay are worth a look.

If £250 is the budget, you must go second hand, and ebay is full of good deals. Don't buy a cheap road bike new, nothing will put you off cycling more quickly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I may have done too much reading and taken some patter too seriously, but the flat bar option is what I'm after as apparently it is better for you back, if you have had back problems in the past which I have.
Naturally the quality principle is still the same, although financially you might be better off.

It just depends on what you'll be using the bike for.

If it's going to be an all round jack of all trades then fair enough.

But obviously there's a specific nature to a road bike, inc handlebars, that make it perfect for churning out the miles, on tarmac.

I don't wish to make light of your back issues, but someone, maybe Eddie Merckx, said words to the effect of:-

'if your back doesn't hurt after a ride, you didn't go far enough'.
It'll never be the same as sitting on the sofa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here