[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bollox, Valverde mechanical on Redoute, now on team mates bike :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I had to leave him in. Only 4 transfers allowed so priorities elsewhere.

If I'd known you and Pantani would still have him today I'd have got rid :lol: (purely because any points would be cancelled out) , although it wouldn't have been easy with only the 4 transfers

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok chaps, who's cheering who today. I must have been deliriously tired last night, when I changed my team:-

Frank, NSC's own, Iglinsky, Albasini & Nordhaug have stayed.
Valverde out in favour of J Rod, and Henao make up my 'stars'.

Vanendart & Ellisonde :shrug: finish off the team
Blimey it just goes to show even a stopped clock is right twice.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Big points for SB, fantastic win for Iglinsky getting most of them :clap2:

Bit of a disaster for me.

Not bad for Pantani too as it turns out.

Got to feel for poor old Nibali.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1st 9th (NSC's own!), and 10th, for the top ten.

I am right in thinking the points go down to 20, aren't I?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Congratulations Sam on your Spring classics win. Turns out if I had changed my team I would have ended up with less points so I got a bit lucky really, laziness is a virtue after all.

Now for the big boys races, the Giro is my favourite of the grand tours.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wow. 97 points was good enough. 2nd, 3rd, 10th, 11th, 20th in the end.

Well played Sam, a good classics victory for you :clap2:

A poor 13 points for LBL drops me right down to 3rd for the classics :(
Oh well, the Giro to look forward to next :)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Cheers, I was a bit worried after poor scores at Amstel and fleche!

The giro is going to be difficult to call and i'm not sure I'll have the time to do transfers every evening (usually sneak a bit of fantasy team research in at work)

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
A pretty poor classics for me, saved by 2 decent performances from Nibali in towards the end.

Now for the Giro

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Congratulations Sam on your Spring classics win. Turns out if I had changed my team I would have ended up with less points so I got a bit lucky really, laziness is a virtue after all.

Now for the big boys races, the Giro is my favourite of the grand tours.

Any ideas if the Eurosport player will have highlights of the Giro in the evenings ? I didn't have much luck trying to watch Giro del Trentino highlights on there :(

I think there's Tour of Turkey highlights tonight at 11pm, so will try and give that a go.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Any ideas if the Eurosport player will have highlights of the Giro in the evenings ? I didn't have much luck trying to watch Giro del Trentino highlights on there :(

I think there's Tour of Turkey highlights tonight at 11pm, so will try and give that a go.

They should do, they some times have them on the video bit of the website too, so you can watch them at your leisure. I'll be watching every day live as I do not start work until the evenings most days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1st 9th (NSC's own!), and 10th, for the top ten.

I am right in thinking the points go down to 20, aren't I?
I added 15th & 20th place, from the top 20.
So am quite happy with 5 points finishers.

Not even close to SC, well done Sir, that's some top scoring.

Is there a prize for being able to regularly select the 20th finisher? :lol:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK then chaps, now that SC has thrashed us all this Spring.
We have a couple of weeks fantasy free, so what brings you to Pro cycling and cycling in general.

Pro Cycling
T'is Le Tour & Chl4.
The speed, colour, scenery, the brutality and almost sheer impossibility of it.
The scale of it, is what makes me a little impervious to the drug scandals. I'm always left thinking 'well you'd need to be on drugs, to do that'! The down side is quite how cynical I am about a super human performance, and will now probably always will be.

Thinking now while typing, Le Tour on TV is a very comfy slipper, Phil, Paul, with now Ned and Chris, all being held together by Gary Imlach, is it any surprise I love The NFL, too? Gary has a lot of wasted hours to answer for.

I've read Cyclesport for about 5 years now, having always brought the TdF special. As well as having second homes on bikeradar and cyclingnews, so I've been inside the written word of Pro cycling for quite a while, although my fantasy selections say otherwise.

But big thanks to [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] for getting the league off and running.
As for the first time I'm now putting pictures to the words, and really enjoying this 11 months of the year thread.

I was going to go on about 'me and cycling', but I'm now way to bored of the sound of my own typing, and will come back to that when I haven't been so, me, me, me, hopefully after some other stories.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Seeing as the question has been asked, I must admit to some previous inside knowledge in the sport.

Loved the tour as a kid and remember watching the 88 tour avidly. My dad started racing and so I did as well and raced from 11 to 19. Spent all that time coming up against a certain Mr Wiggins! Had 2 years in the British track squad and one year in the road squad, culminating in a trip to the world's in valkenburg in 1998. I'm the proud owner of a large amount of the most disgusting GB kit in history (anyone remember the lurid, neon lime green?). Took a year out before uni to race full time but it's a lot less fun when you're getting a kicking every week!

Haven't raced since then but started riding again in the last year couple of years.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seeing as the question has been asked, I must admit to some previous inside knowledge in the sport.

Loved the tour as a kid and remember watching the 88 tour avidly. My dad started racing and so I did as well and raced from 11 to 19. Spent all that time coming up against a certain Mr Wiggins! Had 2 years in the British track squad and one year in the road squad, culminating in a trip to the world's in valkenburg in 1998. I'm the proud owner of a large amount of the most disgusting GB kit in history (anyone remember the lurid, neon lime green?). Took a year out before uni to race full time but it's a lot less fun when you're getting a kicking every week!

Haven't raced since then but started riding again in the last year couple of years.

Wow a proper celebrity, now I'm really happy to getting a good kicking in the fantasy league.
I wasn't expecting that for an answer, now no one else will bother, unless Pantini is actually Cav, 1066 is Lance and HHI is Miguel. :lol:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
so what brings you to Pro cycling and cycling in general.

Started watching the Channel 4 stuff in '87 and got my first bike in 1990

I joined a local club - Brighton Excelsior - but was crap although I 'won' a couple of club events.

I did a cartoon for ProCycling Magazine for 10 years and also for for Bike Radar for a bit. I ran out of time to carry that on and now continue to browse cycling forums and news sites and watch all the stuff on Eurosport. I still get out on my bike providing its sunny and not too windy!

My twitter, if you're that way inclined is @plastic_peloton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here