Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Being in the same team as the stage winner (or the same nationality if it's national squads)
5 points for each participating rider from the same team

I didn't know that.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Being in the same team as the stage winner (or the same nationality if it's national squads)
5 points for each participating rider from the same team

I didn't know that.

I can't help thinking that a few of us were at a big advantage last year, having actually read the rules. Interesting to see what happens with a level playing field this year (1066 dominance again, I expect).

Pantani, anyone yet admitted to being vivelepants?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I can't help thinking that a few of us were at a big advantage last year, having actually read the rules. Interesting to see what happens with a level playing field this year (1066 dominance again, I expect).

I'm just printing off the rules now and will read them before I read David Walsh's book.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

I know how underhanded of us. I'm surprised anyone wants to play with such an Armstrongesque group of people. :nono:

No, the mystery continues.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can't help thinking that a few of us were at a big advantage last year, having actually read the rules. Interesting to see what happens with a level playing field this year.

I know how underhanded of us. I'm surprised anyone wants to play with such an Armstrongesque group of people. :nono:

Good points.

At the risk of sounding like a conceited know it all tit that takes a mere game far too seriously, it seems to me that 3 basic things are required to do well at this fantasy cycling lark..... A hatred of fixies on the road, a subscription to Eurosport Player and a cycling pedigree that includes victory over a TdF winner :jester: Seriously though, or as serious as it's possible to be about a mere game of fantasy cycling without being just too sad, I reckon these three things are probably the basics:

1) Knowledge - Always the best weapon in anything. Basic knowledge of the sport and its riders is a great help but nothing beats research for really getting to know form, parcours etc. etc.
2) Know the bloody rules! - We all know what Brailsford said about 'marginal gains' :). Knowing the rules usually helps you consistently pick up points even when you have a bad day. I've noticed a few decent teams that would be great for the real world but are unlikely to score too well in the fantasy game because they don't fit the rules as to where the points are to be had.
3) Luck - A bit like cards I reckon. You have to have an idea of what you're doing in the first place but luck can play a huge part in results. Sometimes you're on a roll, other times absolutely nothing goes your way.

It's all just game I know (note how I have to keep on reminding myself), but there's some nice stage prizes up for grabs even for us 'Standard' players so I reckon it's worth giving it a right good go. Several of us had some stage Top Ten finishes last season. It would be great for us to get a NSC prize winner, and anyone of us is in with a good shout this season I reckon...if we all just read the bloody rules for a starters! punish: Come on!, let's not be Raggy Arsed Rovers, let's do those fantasy cyclists and show 'em that NSC geeks rule!!! :vuvu:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good points.

At the risk of sounding like a conceited know it all tit that takes a mere game far too seriously, it seems to me that 3 basic things are required to do well at this fantasy cycling lark..... A hatred of fixies on the road, a subscription to Eurosport Player and a cycling pedigree that includes victory over a TdF winner :jester: Seriously though, or as serious as it's possible to be about a mere game of fantasy cycling without being just too sad, I reckon these three things are probably the basics:

1) Knowledge - Always the best weapon in anything. Basic knowledge of the sport and its riders is a great help but nothing beats research for really getting to know form, parcours etc. etc.
2) Know the bloody rules! - We all know what Brailsford said about 'marginal gains' :). Knowing the rules usually helps you consistently pick up points even when you have a bad day. I've noticed a few decent teams that would be great for the real world but are unlikely to score too well in the fantasy game because they don't fit the rules as to where the points are to be had.
3) Luck - A bit like cards I reckon. You have to have an idea of what you're doing in the first place but luck can play a huge part in results. Sometimes you're on a roll, other times absolutely nothing goes your way.

It's all just game I know (note how I have to keep on reminding myself), but there's some nice stage prizes up for grabs even for us 'Standard' players so I reckon it's worth giving it a right good go. Several of us had some stage Top Ten finishes last season. It would be great for us to get a NSC prize winner, and anyone of us is in with a good shout this season I reckon...if we all just read the bloody rules for a starters! punish: Come on!, let's not be Raggy Arsed Rovers, let's do those fantasy cyclists and show 'em that NSC geeks rule!!! :vuvu:
I didn't come here for a lecture in communism.

Ain't read no manual, ain't read no rules, I'm a free spirit, man.

ROVERS
ROVERS
ROVERS.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I didn't come here for a lecture in communism.

Ain't read no manual, ain't read no rules, I'm a free spirit, man.

ROVERS
ROVERS
ROVERS.

You forgot Johnny Rottens - There are no rules, rules are for fools :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyway I know who's going to win Flanders!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I better have some Luck then. :shrug:

MAY have SOME knowledge. ???

Don't know the rules. :shrug:

I'm in this, to win.

:jester:

Content with warming the bench eh?

Shame on you young man!

:jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports