Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just finalised my team selection.

Gilbert IN. With some forced changes on me anyway, the only sacrifice for Gilbert's ridiculous price was Oscar.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good morning to one and all, looks like an ideal day to watch other people ride bikes. The weather in Belgium is the same as here, so avoid those riders who dislike the rain and cold (Purito). Eurosport coverage from 1:15, Giro del Trentino is on before that, and before that the previous days TTT, thats 4 and a half hours of cycling a fine way to nurse a hangover I think.

This weather did cross my mind when selecting this morning. I had 3 Spanish star riders. One had to go. I've no idea whether Oscar dislikes the cold and wet more than the other two or not. I'll find out later no doubt :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We came to track cycling late, and were perhaps spoilt with constant British success, its one of the best value days out and with the velodrome always heated to create faster times its always like summer inside. Although this makes the Belgium beer bar at Manchester hard work.

I have found all fantasy leagues get obsessive for me so had to leave them alone, one of the worst was the American Football one because you had to constantly research, I imagine I would never leave the house if I did a cycling one.

I see exactly what you're saying about value in watching track compared to road. I certainly wouldn't pass up the opportunity to watch some live track racing if it came my way, but I just prefer the soap opera that is road racing. It's the unfolding of the race and all the tactical goings on, be it a one day race or tour, that captivates me.

Yes, these fantasy leagues are very alarming. I used to do fantasy football years ago, but don't bother these days. I do like the fact that it engrosses you in the sport and, if you're going to do it properly, forces you to dig deep and research which for me just hightens the enjoyment of following that sport anyway. I've never enjoyed following cycling as much as I am now, and that's thanks to this fantasy league. I work outside for the most part anyway, so taking today as a holiday wasn't such a bad move either :)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
As we are past the transfer deadline, here is my team:

Gilbert, Valverde, Gasporotto*, Jelle Vanendert, Wegmann, Serry, Hermans, Simon and Puccio

4 belgians, 2 italians and one each from Germany, France and Spain

* I hate just putting the previous stages winner in but he was all I could afford, I really wanted Igor Anton.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just finalised my team selection.

Gilbert IN. With some forced changes on me anyway, the only sacrifice for Gilbert's ridiculous price was Oscar.

Damn it, I was sure he was not riding. I would have kept him and got rid of Hermans for my other DS secret weapon. Don't let me down Gasparotto.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Liking that team Pantani. Bit gutted to see you have Gilbert too, thought he was going to be my ace there but hey ho :lol:

Here's mine :

Rodriguez, Valverde, Gilbert, Kroon. Serry, Hermans, Santambrogio, Nicki Sorensen, De Vreese.

4 Belgians, 2 Spaniards, I Dutch, 1 Italian & 1 Danish.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Damn it, I was sure he was not riding. I would have kept him and got rid of Hermans for my other DS secret weapon. Don't let me down Gasparotto.

I must admit it wasn't an easy decision letting Oscar go. He's done very well for me so far and I've a feeling that decision will come back to bite me. It was the previous form in this race for the three Spainards I had that decided it for me, although on current form Oscar was most likely to stay. As you say though, he wasn't initially due to start, and I think that influenced me a bit too. Only having 4 transfers and Gilbert's stupid money really tied my hands on jiggling my DS's around to have the 4 star riders I really wanted.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Liking that team Pantani. Bit gutted to see you have Gilbert too, thought he was going to be my ace there but hey ho :lol:

Here's mine :

Rodriguez, Valverde, Gilbert, Kroon. Serry, Hermans, Santambrogio, Nicki Sorensen, De Vreese.

4 Belgians, 2 Spaniards, I Dutch, 1 Italian & 1 Danish.

Yes, Gilbert as a secret weapon, I like it. Good team too, four of the same riders which I suppose is to be expected. Good luck (mainly to the four riders I have as well :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, Gilbert as a secret weapon, I like it. Good team too, four of the same riders which I suppose is to be expected. Good luck (mainly to the four riders I have as well :lolol:

Yes, Gilbert as my secret weapon in a race that he won last year and that is made for him :blush: But in light of previous conversations, you know what I mean :)

This is getting serious now, I have to close the gap on you or I'll be scarred for life :lolol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yes, Gilbert as my secret weapon in a race that he won last year and that is made for him :blush: But in light of previous conversations, you know what I mean :)

This is getting serious now, I have to close the gap on you or I'll be scarred for life :lolol:

I'm still trying to reel you in for the Spring Classics League. I have not looked at the overall for a while. Noticed you were doing well in the South East though 22nd is good, could well break in the top 20 today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Might be hard to break into that top 20 for me as my team is pretty predictable(popular) I expect. Seems like you need wildcards like Gasporotto on Sunday to really jump up places fast. I'm mindful that it's a marathon and not a sprint though :)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just watched the last few kilometres from 2010. That last descent is going to be hairy in the wet. Two or three hairpin bends in there, possibility of a break over the final climb staying away if a real strong descender takes major risks, Nibali perhaps.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Are you watching Trentino? It is horrible out there, basically snowing with a long long descent about to come, it is going to be interesting this race.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just watched the last few kilometres from 2010. That last descent is going to be hairy in the wet. Two or three hairpin bends in there, possibility of a break over the final climb staying away if a real strong descender takes major risks, Nibali perhaps.

Hairy is certainly the word. Two crashes already and the race hasn't even really got going yet - rather them than me in this weather.

Question please ? - If I get Eurosport for the computer can I watch extended highlights at any time?, as normally I'm at work or can't always watch live at weekends. And can I just pay for one month at a time or will it keep taking my money until I cancel ? Thinking ahead to May especially and the Giro as I doubt ITV will have anything. If I do take it out I may as well start today and then be sure of a good stream for this afternoon.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Scrub the above, just subscribed after all.

It's nice to have decent quality video without buffering and lost connections.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Cunego wins, Kreuziger looked good too. Tomorrows stage ends with 8km at 15% with several 20% sections on what sounds like a track. Italian races love doing stuff like this, it is like they want to destroy the riders.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cunego wins, Kreuziger looked good too. Tomorrows stage ends with 8km at 15% with several 20% sections on what sounds like a track. Italian races love doing stuff like this, it is like they want to destroy the riders.

Yes, just watched the last few km's and now looking forward to tomorrow with that insane final climb. Didn't lampre crash on yesterday's TTT ?, although I see they still finished within 30 secs of winners BMC. Only a few down perhaps and the rest (is it 5 riders needed to record the time) went on without them ?

Seems crazy Cunago winning today when he just rode Amstel 3 days ago and had a TTT yesterday.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bollox ! they just said Valverde decided to stay at home for Fleche wallonne ! When did that happen ? :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here