Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The real peloton spent most of their podcast intermating that Dr Michele Ferrari was just about to 'drop the bomb'.

So stay tuned, if there's anything to hear, you'll hear it here, 3rd hand, eventually.

Apart from intimating things, they did not really say anything in the whole podcast did they? Tour de France talk in April, virtually no mention of the Spring Classics. They are generally pretty loose with their discussions but that podcast was a bit rubbish I thought.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apart from intimating things, they did not really say anything in the whole podcast did they? Tour de France talk in April, virtually no mention of the Spring Classics. They are generally pretty loose with their discussions but that podcast was a bit rubbish I thought.
Definitely.
They were pretty good, when they were regular, but it now just feels like they've started something, they just can't finish. Even though they want too. Whether that's because MR has personal stuff going on, he seems to have been homeless for a long time, or not I don't know.

I was genuinely pleased when a new pod turned up, but if you took out the in jokes and innuendo there wasn't much left.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Definitely.
They were pretty good, when they were regular, but it now just feels like they've started something, they just can't finish. Even though they want too. Whether that's because MR has personal stuff going on, he seems to have been homeless for a long time, or not I don't know.

I was genuinely pleased when a new pod turned up, but if you took out the in jokes and innuendo there wasn't much left.

There is not a lot else out there though for cycling podcasts. I occassionally catch VC Don Logan but that is it, too many of the others have annoying Americans on them or are just extended adverts for Rouler magazine.

Back to the fantasy league how many greyed out riders has everyone ended up with? At the moment I have three so am ok, but Sanchez probably won't compete Wednesday. Evans has pulled out of the rest of the Ardennes classics too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just watched the re run on Eurosport, I've done all right I think. So for me 2nd, 4th and 7th for a total of 81 points, up to third in our league, 9th in the South East and 138th overall. Shows that no one did that well out of this one, climbing so far for so few points, just looked it up, I scored the 12th highest points in the whole competition! People who picked Gasparotto? Three (as far as I can tell), his cost, 19.8! What a bargain.

Time to start that research for Fleche Wallonne.

Nice work :clap2: Have to say I'm proud to see one of our own so high up in the big leagues.

I got 4 riders in the top 20 and only picked up 39 points, yet went up in all leagues except our NSC one.

As for those greyed out riders...5 for me so far so definitely one rider down at the very least for Fleche-Wallonne :( That'll teach me to just plan for one race at a time.

Booked Wednesday off as holiday too as I could do with a rest and I'm bloody hooked on these classics now, so will seek a live stream or even subscribe to Eurosport like you do if I can't find one.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Nice work :clap2: Have to say I'm proud to see one of our own so high up in the big leagues.

I got 4 riders in the top 20 and only picked up 39 points, yet went up in all leagues except our NSC one.

As for those greyed out riders...5 for me so far so definitely one rider down at the very least for Fleche-Wallonne :( That'll teach me to just plan for one race at a time.

Booked Wednesday off as holiday too as I could do with a rest and I'm bloody hooked on these classics now, so will seek a live stream or even subscribe to Eurosport like you do if I can't find one.

Only £4 a month online. Although the sporza streams are pretty good if you can cope with Flemish commentary, best place for links is steephill.tv

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've watched the last two plus Arsenal tonight, through sports-livez.com, no problem.

I've got 3 that need changing as well, 4 with Sanchez, which will take half the thinking out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey you are hooked, I thought only the Dutch did that.
Steady on now, remember we still have 3 Grand Tours to wade through!

Sir Chris of McCoy's was on The Richard Bacon Show, 5-Live today, it'll be on I-player as well as the podcast, which I'll listen to tomorrow.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep, was quite happy with the free streams yesterday. I had british Eurosport going for a while via links on cyclingfans but that soon packed up and I used the Sporza/sports-livez Flemish ones instead which were fine. I use steephill a lot too but not usually for streams, but preview videos, reports and results. I also like letour site for their live click counter, although they didn't have Amstel Gold yesterday they do have Fleche-Wallonne and Liege-Bastogné-Liege I think ?

Either way, I'm looking forward to my day off work on Wednesday :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey you are hooked, I thought only the Dutch did that.
Steady on now, remember we still have 3 Grand Tours to wade through!

Sir Chris of McCoy's was on The Richard Bacon Show, 5-Live today, it'll be on I-player as well as the podcast, which I'll listen to tomorrow.

I've never really quite got into track cycling to be honest. But my childhood Channel 4 days of TdF have never left me, and I'm loving getting into all the classics and the other two Grand Tours now too. Already I'm all over google maps looking for journey times to some spring classics for next season. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this new found interest in the rest of the season rather than just TdF is largely thanks to you lot on here. Big thanks for that. I do worry about my obsession with this fantasy cycling though :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well if you weren't off on a Roubaix jolly, :)lol: so jealous) you'd have seen SCH win an amazing Kirin.

@ 2:40

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Has anyone picked there team yet? Sanchez is still listed as competing when all reports say otherwise. Actually scrap that official start list here: Fleche start list A few riders are down as possibles but the vast majority have been selected.

Actually, scrap that again. That list is wrong as Evans is listed and he definitely is not competing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Has anyone picked there team yet? Sanchez is still listed as competing when all reports say otherwise. Actually scrap that official start list here: Fleche start list A few riders are down as possibles but the vast majority have been selected.

Actually, scrap that again. That list is wrong as Evans is listed and he definitely is not competing.
Will
do mine early tomorrow morning as the list keeps changing. My team currently shows 3 riders down, whereas yesterday it showed 5 out. I'll see what I wake up to and take it from there.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Will
do mine early tomorrow morning as the list keeps changing. My team currently shows 3 riders down, whereas yesterday it showed 5 out. I'll see what I wake up to and take it from there.

I took a punt on my team just before I left for tonight's game, reasonably happy with my picks. Looking forward to this one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have just this minute, plugged the gaps, with minimal effort.

Although I had an urge and have added one of the Schleck's, which is a little odd of me.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I have just this minute, plugged the gaps, with minimal effort.

Although I had an urge and have added one of the Schleck's, which is a little odd of me.

Oh dear :nono:

If your not gonna take this seriously why bother :lolol:

I hope you went for Frank, as Andy has at least two more months of riding around pointlessly in the vague hope he might be on top form for TdF.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I took a punt on my team just before I left for tonight's game, reasonably happy with my picks. Looking forward to this one.
Good luck. I'm seriously considering working Gilbert in now after amstel. At least he'll be nailed on to start in Liege, barring accidents of course.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh dear :nono:

If your not gonna take this seriously why bother :lolol:

I hope you went for Frank, as Andy has at least two more months of riding around pointlessly in the vague hope he might be on top form for TdF.
I wasn't going to let on, but it is glaringly obvious I stuck Frank in.
I was well happy with my team for last Sunday and would have stuck with it, through the week.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good morning to one and all, looks like an ideal day to watch other people ride bikes. The weather in Belgium is the same as here, so avoid those riders who dislike the rain and cold (Purito). Eurosport coverage from 1:15, Giro del Trentino is on before that, and before that the previous days TTT, thats 4 and a half hours of cycling a fine way to nurse a hangover I think.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I've never really quite got into track cycling to be honest. But my childhood Channel 4 days of TdF have never left me, and I'm loving getting into all the classics and the other two Grand Tours now too. Already I'm all over google maps looking for journey times to some spring classics for next season. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this new found interest in the rest of the season rather than just TdF is largely thanks to you lot on here. Big thanks for that. I do worry about my obsession with this fantasy cycling though :lol:

We came to track cycling late, and were perhaps spoilt with constant British success, its one of the best value days out and with the velodrome always heated to create faster times its always like summer inside. Although this makes the Belgium beer bar at Manchester hard work.

I have found all fantasy leagues get obsessive for me so had to leave them alone, one of the worst was the American Football one because you had to constantly research, I imagine I would never leave the house if I did a cycling one.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Incidently, check out the parcours of the Giro del Trentino. By all accounts it is savage and with bad weather predicted in Italy too there could be some serious suffering going on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here