Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got to be worth a go, surely.

EDIT: And no celeste bar tape this time. :)
My problem is, 'is it worth a go'? As I won't be looking to keeping the end result.

If I set my sights on a 'lesser' bike does the Raleigh Falcon have a value, or was it the equivalent of a Viking whatever, today.
I should have spent the evening checking through some retro sites, instead of fast asleep on the sofa, 'watching' QI.

Here's the most recent one I've been tracking, which has now gone to 3 figures, and will probably end up nearer £200 than £100.
bianchi vintage steel frame racing bike with vintage campagnolo components | eBay

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
My problem is, 'is it worth a go'? As I won't be looking to keeping the end result.

If I set my sights on a 'lesser' bike does the Raleigh Falcon have a value, or was it the equivalent of a Viking whatever, today.
I should have spent the evening checking through some retro sites, instead of fast asleep on the sofa, 'watching' QI.

Here's the most recent one I've been tracking, which has now gone to 3 figures, and will probably end up nearer £200 than £100.
bianchi vintage steel frame racing bike with vintage campagnolo components | eBay

Are you looking for a profit? Or the 'Joy' of bringing a bike back to life, either way if you can get the bike for free out of a skip, it's a win win surely?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Oi, SB, Check this one out. It's a Raleigh disguised as Bianchi though.

FORK + Stem Road Race Set for 700 series Wheels | eBay

Or this which is a true classic from the 50s
vintage carlton corinthian frame | eBay

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you looking for a profit? Or the 'Joy' of bringing a bike back to life, either way if you can get the bike for free out of a skip, it's a win win surely?
The theory is it would be a hobby, that uses a rare skill of mine, and one that in time I could turn into profit.

Bizarrely enough Italian bikes Campag components is my comfort zone, whereas I'm still a complete novice when it comes to what's what from British manufacturers from the 60's onwards.
Like I said I really need to get some homework done.
Oi, SB, Check this one out. It's a Raleigh disguised as Bianchi though.

FORK + Stem Road Race Set for 700 series Wheels | eBay

Or this which is a true classic from the 50s
vintage carlton corinthian frame | eBay
That Raleigh/Bianchi is so obscenely wrong, there should be a law against doing things like that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course you are very right.
I think my head stone will read:-

Here Lies Stat Brother, He Died Form Acute Procrastination.

So with that in mind, I popped round, had an odd conversation with the owner.
I don't think he wanted to give it up, he went straight down memory lane, the moment I asked for it.
But I eventually came away with this, pink and yellow Raleigh Flyer:-

Attachments

• Resto bike 001.jpg
    Resto bike 001.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • Resto bike 019.jpg
    Resto bike 019.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
  • Resto bike 002.jpg
    Resto bike 002.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1973 - It's approaching it's 40th birthday.

Flyer_rapide.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Skipping that is needless.

SB, clean it up a treat, and then pop some pics through his front door.

I have a 15 year old Radford Exon Alu which does what I need it to. I could contemplate trading it in, but skipping it ain't right. I'll do some maintenance when its too cold/wet to go out. It'll never be pretty but I don't care.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Skipping that is needless.

SB, clean it up a treat, and then pop some pics through his front door.

I have a 15 year old Radford Exon Alu which does what I need it to. I could contemplate trading it in, but skipping it ain't right. I'll do some maintenance when its too cold/wet to go out. It'll never be pretty but I don't care.
Judging by the conversation we had when I asked for it, I could sell it back to him for a small fortune.

He told me the history, his big brother had it before him.
'I changed the wheels, and the pedals, I kept it because I always wanted to do it up but the wife has said time to go'.

He really laid it on thick, as he was pulling it out of the skip.
He might even have wanted money for it.

Not a chance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not ridable at the moment.
The chain is shot, I've put some air in the tyres so I could turn the wheels and they are pretty much true, and the frame is sound.
RESULT.

I've already half moved back to Retrobike | If its in.
First off, bugging them about how best to bring a Brooks saddle back to life.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Of course you are very right.
I think my head stone will read:-

Here Lies Stat Brother, He Died Form Acute Procrastination.

So with that in mind, I popped round, had an odd conversation with the owner.
I don't think he wanted to give it up, he went straight down memory lane, the moment I asked for it.
But I eventually came away with this, pink and yellow Raleigh Flyer:-

Old habits die hard eh?...still photographed in front of a white sheet for best effect :lol:

Good luck with the project. Shame it doesn't have top pull brakes as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How bad is the saddle? Doesn't look to ropey in the photos. Could you not just buff it up with some dubbing?
It's certainly not ropey but pretty rough and ready and rock solid, as you would expect.
But I don't want to ingrain the grim while trying to buff it up.

Oh btw, never having been near a Brooks before I don't know if the above is horse plops or not.

Resto bike 021.jpgResto bike 022.jpgResto bike 023.jpg

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Old habits die hard eh?...still photographed in front of a white sheet for best effect :lol:

Good luck with the project. Shame it doesn't have top pull brakes as well.
I think I'm most excited about the prospect of attaching a long pump underneath the top tube.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nope.
I'm still reeling from the monstrosity Woodchip put up last night.

It'll be a faithful restoration.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here