Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Thanks for the input everyone, appreciate the fact that everyone is interested! The reason I wanted a fixed gear bike is because I currently have a specialized allez which I use for exercise at the weekends and getting to work on, and i wanted a normal push bike with no clips to get to town and shops etc, and for a bit of fun. Granted my bike is fun, but variety is nice. If anyone has any recommendations as to what you think I should do pleas let me know!
Sorry if I've repeated anything or talked crap I've just got back from the pub
Peace

Personally I'd look to restore rather than convert (there are far too many conversions of classic frames already), and I'd certainly want some sort of foot retention on a fixed wheel - it gives you so much more control. Whatever you do make sure you put drop bars on and don't get bar tape advice from SB! You'll also want enough brakes to make it road legal.

Unicycle. :lol:

YES!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Not a bad job. Hate to think how much it cost in re-chroming and spraying, as well as getting new stickers made up.

And if you are going to do the SS this is how it should be done

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
this is aimed at any wheel experts out there...

Next Spring I will be looking to upgrade my wheels from the Miche set that came with the bike. I will probably budget up to £600 and would like to get the best return in terms of actually 'feeling' a difference.
I weigh under 10 stone, so wont be too hard on them, but at the same time, don't want anything too fragile.
something that feels good to climb on, but also makes me feel like a king when accelerating. Asking too much?!

Rest assured i will be spending months researching (procrastinating), as I seem to do with every component or clothing purchase, before splashing out, but I just wondered if there were any personal recommendations...

Oh and i'm running Campagnolo, so Shimano is obviously out.
Not a wheel man myself, but it has occurred to me one of my mates has a set of mid rim, carbon, Reynolds wheels, for around that price.
He's certainly happy with them and they've held up to our roads fine and dandy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
as well as getting new stickers made up.
The decals won't be a problem.

Esp if I could find the thread on Bikeradar titled something along the lines of:-

'The greatest decal company ever'.

Sadly it proved hard to find, last night.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let me get this straight.

Yesterday, the best reply [MENTION=20804]zfleas[/MENTION] has had to his project is :shrug:

But now the decals and freewheel, with international shipping, are sorted! :lol:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Yesterday, the best reply @zfleas has had to his project is :shrug:

But now the decals and freewheel, with international shipping, are sorted! :lol:
The great minds of NSC Cycle Geeks can do anything when they put their mind to it. I'm now in the frame of mind to strip down my front hub and service it over the weekend. YIKES!

EDIT: Off topic. I wonder if people will look back on this thread in years to come and think "what a sad bunch" :laugh:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
EDIT: Off topic. I wonder if people will look back on this thread in years to come and think "what a sad bunch" :laugh:

I quite think the opposite.

As a transport option cycling is starting to make a big come back given the prices of fuel and people being more environment conscious.

As a hobby and a new view point of them being pieces of mechanical artwork their popularity will only increase.

This thread will be seen as visionary!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hello Geeks,

You may have noticed I've not been around these parts much lately, my computer went 'pop', well more bang actually, about a month ago. So I am now limited to internet access at work or when the Mrs leaves her laptop at my place.

So some clarification on some issues:
[MENTION=20804]zfleas[/MENTION] please don't go fixed, once upon a time it may have been acceptable but unfortunately our skinny jeaned, stupid haired brethren have made the fixie a no go area for any self respecting cycling geek.

On wheels, get them built, they will be so much stronger and more personal to you. Or even better build them yourself, not easy but extremely rewarding (and cheap, if you 'borrow' the spokes from the bike shop you work in).

Finally on Lemond, it would be fantastic but I do wonder if he is perhaps a little too highly strung to be in such a high profile position.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing

Yesterday, the best reply [MENTION=20804]zfleas[/MENTION] has had to his project is :shrug:

You lot are top class :cheers: owe you all a beer when its done for all the help!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Hello Geeks,

You may have noticed I've not been around these parts much lately, my computer went 'pop', well more bang actually, about a month ago. So I am now limited to internet access at work or when the Mrs leaves her laptop at my place.

So some clarification on some issues:
[MENTION=20804]zfleas[/MENTION] please don't go fixed, once upon a time it may have been acceptable but unfortunately our skinny jeaned, stupid haired brethren have made the fixie a no go area for any self respecting cycling geek.

On wheels, get them built, they will be so much stronger and more personal to you. Or even better build them yourself, not easy but extremely rewarding (and cheap, if you 'borrow' the spokes from the bike shop you work in).

Finally on Lemond, it would be fantastic but I do wonder if he is perhaps a little too highly strung to be in such a high profile position.

WHere does that leave trackies? Surely there's a very important (and thus geeky!) difference between riding a 'fixie' and riding a track bike set up for the road. I hope so, as skinny jeans would not be a good look for me...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here