Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bugger it. Road in this morning and was at the almost perfect halfway point between work and home and got a puncture. Unexpected walk to work. Got a lift home and investigated said puncture and it looks like it has come about by the brake pad rubbing the sidewall, sticking a hole in the sidewall and popping the innertube. Sod it!!!!!
Rookie mistake, proper school boy error, hang your head in shame, young man.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Rookie mistake, proper school boy error, hang your head in shame, young man.
Yep but to be fair, now I've looked at the wheel a bit more, a squashed egg is more circular. Also a pissed Scotsman walking home is straighter. There's even bends in the rim. Guess I'll be buying some new rims and building my own wheels then (that's the excuse going to SWMB) - she who must be obeyed).

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Mavic Open Pro are a pretty good basic wheel, and gatorskins (if you can get them on!) do the job most of the time on London roads. I'd also look at the Schwalbe 'London' but I haven't used them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Mavic Open Pro are a pretty good basic wheel, and gatorskins (if you can get them on!) do the job most of the time on London roads. I'd also look at the Schwalbe 'London' but I haven't used them.

Schwalbe tyres are the worst to get on in my experience, proper thumb breakers.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hutchinsons are a killer too. Michelin seemed fairly easy.

I am thinking about creating a website "bicycle101" or something similar

Good call. Never tried Hutchinsons, Michelin pro race are a dream to put on. I had a set of Vittoria's once that were worryingly loose, they would not stay on the rims unless you inflated an inner tube inside. Never trusted them as a brand since.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good call. Never tried Hutchinsons, Michelin pro race are a dream to put on. I had a set of Vittoria's once that were worryingly loose, they would not stay on the rims unless you inflated an inner tube inside. Never trusted them as a brand since.
My LBS swore big style when putting some new PR3's on my bike (surprise b/day present).
I punctured very very soon after popped them off and on again simples.

I've never had a problem with the x amount of pairs I've had over the years, all very odd.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Right then, here we go gents!
No doubt someone will start a thread about it, and be a 20 page Cyclist V Motorists debate :thumbsup:

I've never noticed the difference between different wheels, albeit I don't usually spend anymore than £100.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
No doubt someone will start a thread about it, and be a 20 page Cyclist V Motorists debate :thumbsup:

I've never noticed the difference between different wheels, albeit I don't usually spend anymore than £100.

I'm not gonna watch it, or get involved in the pointless debate, all that needs to be said has been said so many times. Also I cannot be bothered to write another reply about 'road tax' to some dullard.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Started the thread solely to keep it away from here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here