Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On tyres and how hard different brands are to get on...surely the wheels have a bearing on ease of fitting too, no? I have Campagnolo Scirocco G3 wheels and some of the reviews I've read about them say that they're a bugger for getting tyres on & off. As you know I recently bought some Vredestein fortezza tricomps and bloody hell did I have fun getting the old tyres (a michelin and a vittoria) off and the new tyres on! Clincher by name and clincher by nature. I even snapped a tyre lever in getting the old tyres off!, and it took serious effort getting the Vredesteins on, but reassuringly I can't imagine those buggers going anywhere if I have a blowout. If anyone is thinking of new tyres I can certainly recommend the tricomps and I see bike radar give them an excellent recent review too Vredestein Fortezza TriComp Review - BikeRadar

As for the BBC programme. I'd forgotten about this as i rarely have tv on. Will catch up with it on iplayer I think.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I watched it. Wasn't as bad as I expected, and confirms my opinion that every single road-user is a dangerous twat that should be avoided at all costs.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Bikes in any form, pedal or motor should be liscenced, taxed and identifiable. Just like the motorvehicle users they should be held accountable for abuses of the roads

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Still no-one has answered if I should go tubeless or not for my commute bike. Maybe get some solid tyres (if they are still available anywhere), although the added weight might way-lay any benefits of no punctures.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Bikes in any form, pedal or motor should be liscenced, taxed and identifiable. Just like the motorvehicle users they should be held accountable for abuses of the roads

Maybe you should contact your MP about that.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Still no-one has answered if I should go tubeless or not for my commute bike. Maybe get some solid tyres (if they are still available anywhere), although the added weight might way-lay any benefits of no punctures.

Do you mean riding on tubs rather than clinchers, or solid tyres?

If it's the first, stay with clinchers - cheaper and repairable when you do puncture. If you mean the second, stay as you are.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Strange. Attempting to reply to this thread seems to want to fail

How many posts have you made in this thread? I'm upto 465 (inc this one)

If you hover over the red envelope icon it will say how many posts you have in this thread.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
Has anyone had any experience with miche wheels? I've been offered a set with a flip flop hub which have never seen a brake, including locking nuts with gator skins fitted for £140, is this a good price or not? Never bought individual components so I have no idea how much they are worth
Thanks again :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has anyone had any experience with miche wheels? I've been offered a set with a flip flop hub which have never seen a brake, including locking nuts with gator skins fitted for £140, is this a good price or not? Never bought individual components so I have no idea how much they are worth
Thanks again :)
Probably.

I have no idea as to these specific wheels, (do you know which variety!) but you won't get cheaper 'new' wheels with tyres.

I'd say if it's all about budget then there'll be cheaper second hand about, which may or may not be better.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
To be honest they're probably out of my budget anyway, I was looking to spend nearer £80 on a second hand pair , I was just making sure I wasn't missing out on a massive steal! If anyone is interested in them I can pass on the details of the guy ( from another forum )

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be honest they're probably out of my budget anyway, I was looking to spend nearer £80 on a second hand pair , I was just making sure I wasn't missing out on a massive steal! If anyone is interested in them I can pass on the details of the guy ( from another forum )
It depends on the tyres.
You obviously don't want to pi$$ about with those, so your £80 might end up over £140 when all in?

Ah the joys of a winter project.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Gatorskin Hardshells, 25 or 28mm (been good for me, although I must confess I haven't been out for a couple of weeks...). Is it worth ruining tubeless in these conditions?

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
I'm just keeping my eyes open for a used pair! The guy said that these have done less than 10 miles and never seen a brake so there has to be cheaper ones out there somewhere (sorry if there / they're / their is awful grammar there)
Careful if anybody is on the bike this morning- it's frosty out

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'm just keeping my eyes open for a used pair! The guy said that these have done less than 10 miles and never seen a brake so there has to be cheaper ones out there somewhere (sorry if there / they're / their is awful grammar there)
Careful if anybody is on the bike this morning- it's frosty out
That line reminds me of a near spill I had one year when cycling to work (was only 1.75 miles). I come up to a T junction (me with the give way) Hit the brakes a little earlier than usual, as I just hit the brakes I hit a tiny bump in the road which unweighted my wheels. As the weight come back down I found I was on black ice, doing 15MPH heading to a junction with locked wheels on black ice.

I done the only thing I could. Let off the brakes and prayed like feck!! Straight over the road (thankfully with no cars coming), up over the kerb, braking like hell on the grass verge, down the pavement and back on the road at the next driveway.

This was 15 years ago, and I still remember it to this day.

Be careful people you may not be as lucky as I was.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

If you hover over the red envelope icon it will say how many posts you have in this thread.

278 for me, surprised it is so low.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

278 for me, surprised it is so low.
Oh dear god, I never knew you could do that.

I'm really sorry, I'll try and reign it in a bit.
But it does keep me off the streets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here