Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Did you get the 36 miles in? What route and terrain did you cover?

The cold bar across the forehead is when I know it's really cold when out walking, cycling or up the allotment. I wear glasses because I'm short sighted and I've yet to be able to cover my face and not get foggy glasses so I just try to grin and bear it.

I did 20, turned around at Pycombe instead of going into Brighton and back.
The route is hard to explain, but i'll try my best.
started off from Burgess Hill and went to Bolney via Bishopstone and Pickwell Lane and then across the overpass on Broxmead lane (A23).
Down the big hill in Bolney (London Road) at the bottom crossed over the A23, onto the cycle track back to Hickstead.
From Hickstead, followed the A23 up to the Friday Ad Factory, then on into Sayers Common and Albourne (B211B).
At the junction, went straight ahead on the cycle track to Pycombe and turned around (following the same route).
At Hickstead, went onto Jobs Lane (other side of hedge is the A2300) crossed over the A23000 onto Gatehouse lane (crossing the crossroads by Sportsman Pub)
Then Back into Burgess Hill and Home.

Sorry for the In-depth stuff, didn't know how else to explain.
The terrain between Bishopstone lane and bolney was Hilly Lanes, albeit got overtaken by other riders, shows how unfit I am... :lolol:
Found It quite easy between Hickstead and Pycombe to be fair :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can sort of picture the route using Bolney as my reference point, thanks. Sounds like a nice ride and 20 miles banked is better than sitting at home.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Should have switched it up a bit, rather than going the same route home from Pycombe I should've turned right at the lights into Hurst.
In other news, just bought a couple of handlebar tapes :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Should have switched it up a bit, rather than going the same route home from Pycombe I should've turned right at the lights into Hurst.
In other news, just bought a couple of handlebar tapes :thumbsup:

Oh goodie, gonna post a pic of the finished article on here I hope. No need to reveal make and colour just yet...unless it's celeste of course, in which case we can get hours of fun out of it :)

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
If anyone is interested, this is how my ride pans out if I do both hills.

View attachment 35752

Vigo Hill and Birling Hill.

Went out for a 1.75 mile run last night and was pleased to find more running than jogging if you know what I mean. Now I've found that second hill, I'm gonna have to go check it out.
What website do you use to get that profile? I've been using gmap pedometer, but it doesn't look as good as that.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Oh goodie, gonna post a pic of the finished article on here I hope. No need to reveal make and colour just yet...unless it's celeste of course, in which case we can get hours of fun out of it :)

May have to wait a while for that pic, going to put them on the bike i get in the New year, and a spoke broke this morning, so it's going to be me and my trusted Mountain Bike for a week or 2.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=3347]Horton's halftime iceberg[/MENTION], and obviously anyone else.

Have you listened to this weeks velocast podcast yet.

I think it's fair to say, myself and HHI come at this particular reference point from opposite directions.
Well this week I'd had enough, to the point I've even written to them :facepalm:.

I don't think this will get read out anytime soon:-

Dear Sirs.

While I agree with you that Jonathan Vaughter's all encompassing 'arm around shoulder, there there, it'll all be better soon' approach, is probably the right way to go.
Your stance on GreenEdge and Sky, couldn't be more wrong.

Cycling, and more importantly the wider sporting and advertising world, must have teams standing up and saying 'not on my watch'.

Cycling needs these teams to be clean and winning as, by association, they validate the others.

If that means committed cycling people such as Yates and Julich have to be thrown under the bus, then so be it.
At best they are guilty of naivety, when signing for a 100% clean team.
Or, in the worst case they are guilty of the same 'well they won't catch me' arrogance that has gone some way to getting cycling in the position it's currently in.
Either way there can be very little complaining, and I'm sure they will both find employment, very soon.

I found it a little difficult listening to you both rounding on Sky, lets face it not for the first time, and GreenEdge.
While giving a metaphorical (possibly even literal) comedic raised eyebrow at the merest mention of Movistar and Vacansoleil, in the context of the conversation implying they are perhaps less than 100% clean.

Then, within half a dozen deliver points (I too am a postie), you proceeded to turn on cycling journalists in general, for not speaking up about their concerns and suspicions when voting on the Velo d'Or.
A very justifiable point, but that then smacks of a huge double standard, having done the very same, not 10 minutes earlier.

I would say keep up the good work, but as I find myself disagreeing more than agreeing with most of your non UCI content, so that would be disingenuous. Which is a shame as I think the jersey looks very smart.

Anyway good luck with your future endeavours.
I hope you are able to find the credibility you desire.

Yours sincerely

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
You could always bit inverted drops on your mountain bike.:lolol:
:lolol: Made a schoolboy error today, bought a new pair of grips for the Mountain bike, went into the Garage and realised the gears covered most off it, needed to be half the size...:facepalm:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
How has it either a) not been mentioned or b) I missed it, that Scarponi has been suspended by Lampre for having links to Dr Ferrari? Surely that is bigger news than some 40 year old mountain biker being busted for doping?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I saw it when looking for the link to matey.

I didn't bother to read beyond the headline...

...why would you :shrug:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
How has it either a) not been mentioned or b) I missed it, that Scarponi has been suspended by Lampre for having links to Dr Ferrari? Surely that is bigger news than some 40 year old mountain biker being busted for doping?

I think because it was obvious Scarponi was doped to the gills. Him getting busted was only a matter of time

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
velonews said:
Lampre-ISD suspended 2011 Giro d’Italia winner Michele Scarponi without pay Tuesday after confirming links to controversial Italian doctor Michele Ferrari.
Scarponi met with Italian officials Tuesday in Rome to clarify his links to Ferrari, but Lampre team officials told VeloNews that Scarponi would be suspended indefinitely until investigators can determine exactly what the Italian rider did with Ferrari.
“Our rules say that a rider cannot have contact with someone like Ferrari,” Lampre spokesman Andrea Appiani told VeloNews on Tuesday. “Our contracts forbid a rider to have contact with a subject who is not allowed by the federation. It is because of his meetings with Ferrari he is suspended.”
Since 2002, Ferrari has been banned by the Italian Olympic committee (CONI) to have contacts with Italian athletes, but revelations last week by investigators in Padua painted a picture that the doctor, who was central to the Lance Armstrong doping ring, is still very active among scores of top cyclists.
Italian police tapped Ferrari’s camper van, where he often meets with riders, and overheard conversations between Ferrari and Scarponi. During one meeting, Ferrari reportedly told Scarponi he was “one blood bag” away from winning the 2010 Giro d’Italia.
Scarponi finished second to Alberto Contador in that Giro, only later to be awarded the title when Contador was banned for two years as part of his clenbuterol case dating back to the 2010 Tour de France.
Italian riders who simply associate themselves with the controversial Ferrari can be banned. Filippo Pozzato, for example, missed the Olympic Games this summer after it was revealed he was working with Ferrari and received a three-month ban.
On Tuesday, Scarponi confirmed to La Gazzetta dello Sport that he met voluntarily with investigators in Rome on Tuesday morning to “clarify” his association with Ferrari, who has received a lifetime ban by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency for his links to the Armstrong scandal.
Scarponi insists he met with Ferrari twice for testing in September 2010, in the months before he joined Lampre-ISD for the start of the 2011 season.
“I admitted that I visited Ferrari for two tests in September 2010, when I was at the end of my contract with (Diquigiovanni-Androni),” Scarponi said in a statement to La Gazzetta. “Later, I signed with Lampre and have since been working with the Mapei (Training) Center. I was convinced that Ferrari was not banned and I acted in good faith.”
That admission, however, was enough for Lampre to suspend Scarponi indefinitely without pay.
“It is important to remember that this contact came before he was part of Lampre,” Appiani said. “We have the language in the contract of all riders on Lampre. We will wait to see what happens. Until then, he is suspended from the team.”
Scarponi had recently signed a one-year contract extension with Lampre though the 2013 season.
Scarponi already served an 18-month ban for admitting his role in the Operación Puerto doping ring dating back to 2006. A second doping infraction could result in a lifetime ban for the Italian rider.
With the slow hand of justice in Italy, Scarponi could be sidelined for some time as investigators dig through the evidence and decide if any rules or laws have been broken.

Does not make good reading for fans wanting a clean sport.

[rash_generalisation]Stupid Italians and Spanish[/rash_generalisation].

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I must say, Will Routley speaks a lot of sense here. It's quite long though.

Whistler cyclist Will Routley says competitors who used PEDs aren’t just cheaters, they’re criminals

One of my favourite parts...
Will Routley said:
When I hear the interviews and the dopers say things like: “I crossed the line,” I am disgusted. Several American guys caught this month all said the same thing about crossing a line. As far as I’m concerned, “crossing the line” is when you swear in public. When you defraud a nation, steal from sponsors, and your fellow racing compatriots and then lie to the world about it, you didn’t “cross a line” you are a criminal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
As you can tell, I'm not buying that.
I understand the premise, but a line has to be drawn by someone.

If you take PED's you'll not make a living from Sky, simple pimple.

Who knows in x amount of years time that'll be the norm, and the PED's debate would have moved onto another perhaps bigger sport.

I didn't comment as I was speechless after reading that crap coming from WADA of all people. I just wish they would publicise all the names linked with Puerto.

EDIT: As an aside... We're now more popular (by thread replies) than the signing of Vicente.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
EDIT: As an aside... We're now more popular (by thread replies) than the signing of Vicente.
And you love it.

We certainly showed those runners a clean pair of heels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here