Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Have you been out with these fellas yet?

Yes, went out Sat morning. Really relaxed nice friendly bunch, enjoyed a 44mile run in there first sat of every month 'try it' ride. Will go out with the main ride next time but it was nice to get out in a group and have a natter.

On a separate note my front mech stopped working (which I fixed today) and I got stuck in the outside ring, had to climb the hill out of Clayton in a horrible gear so powered as hard as I could and got 9th fastest on Strava, 3secs quicker that Matt Prior! :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cool.

Straight out of the [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] school of cycling.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Yes, went out Sat morning. Really relaxed nice friendly bunch, enjoyed a 44mile run in there first sat of every month 'try it' ride. Will go out with the main ride next time but it was nice to get out in a group and have a natter.

On a separate note my front mech stopped working (which I fixed today) and I got stuck in the outside ring, had to climb the hill out of Clayton in a horrible gear so powered as hard as I could and got 9th fastest on Strava, 3secs quicker that Matt Prior! :thumbsup:

Nice one, i managed 22 miles this morning, aiming on 36miles tomorrow afternoon :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Ridiculously quick up Clayton Hill, well done.

I go out with the Mitre most Saturdays - I had a day off this week, so missed you! It's always a good ride...there's a few different rides that happen each week depending on how fast you intend to go...everyone usually starts together as far as Albourne, then we split off. I tend to go with a group who average about 16 over 50 miles; the racers are too fast, too young and too fit...and unlike them we stop for people if they puncture (last week this meant three stops in the freezing cold which was a bit of a pain - but that was a rarity).

Hopefully I'll be back next week, so may see you then!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ridiculously quick up Clayton Hill, well done.

I go out with the Mitre most Saturdays - I had a day off this week, so missed you! It's always a good ride...there's a few different rides that happen each week depending on how fast you intend to go...everyone usually starts together as far as Albourne, then we split off. I tend to go with a group who average about 16 over 50 miles; the racers are too fast, too young and too fit...and unlike them we stop for people if they puncture (last week this meant three stops in the freezing cold which was a bit of a pain - but that was a rarity).

Hopefully I'll be back next week, so may see you then!

Can't do it this Sat as I've been invited to the O2 for the tennis. Look forward to it on another one though, hopefully the week after on the 17th.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Just got back, and it IS chilly.

on a different note, do any of you guys know how to keep your face warm w/o fogging up glasses?
at the moment i've got a half mask balaclava and an albion snood, but whenever i stop at lights or slow down, they always fog up, any ideas?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

on a different note, do any of you guys know how to keep your face warm w/o fogging up glasses?
at the moment i've got a half mask balaclava and an albion snood, but whenever i stop at lights or slow down, they always fog up, any ideas?

Man up and dispense with the balaclava!

Seriously though, even oakleys that supposedly don't fog up do so when you stop in winter. They soon clear if you pull them off your face a little once you set off again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Man up and dispense with the balaclava!

Seriously though, even oakleys that supposedly don't fog up do so when you stop in winter. They soon clear if you pull them off your face a little once you set off again.
Man up is the only answer.

Frozen extremities is one thing, fingers and in my case feet and toes.

But face come on, there's nothing better than a cold wind blast, on your face.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Man up is the only answer.

Frozen extremities is one thing, fingers and in my case feet and toes.

But face come on, there's nothing better than a cold wind blast, on your face.

Really?

Feet and toes are bad, but i have no problems with hands.

Windburned cheeks :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really?

Yeah.
Hands/fingers have never been a problem for me, even with minimal gloveage on.
My mate would be moaning about his fingers before we left the village, and he'd be wearing oven gloves!

But my feet and toes would be agony, chilly cheeks, pah, just ride faster! :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Did you get the 36 miles in? What route and terrain did you cover?

The cold bar across the forehead is when I know it's really cold when out walking, cycling or up the allotment. I wear glasses because I'm short sighted and I've yet to be able to cover my face and not get foggy glasses so I just try to grin and bear it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Lose the balaclava, just use the snood. Pull you glasses about 1/4 inch away from your head when you stop odds the only sure fire way. I tend to suffer the scene problem on warm days as well. Gets damn annoying after a while.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Really?

Wear a buff - make sure it's round the bottom of your ears and below your mouth at the front - it makes all the difference. Also, a cycle cap under your helmet. I will also be getting the ski gloves out soon, and wearing thick shoe covers and socks.

This man's not for manning up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That does remind me PM, I would don this under my helmet, on particularly cold mornings:-

20090421-prendas-ciclismo-black-cycling-cotton-cap.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here