Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's 2 laughs tonight.

The amount of times I 'been there', it's great seeing someone else suffering!
I think of Father Ted tapping out the car.

:lolol: Quality! :clap2:

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Under 4 hours for a 100?! I'm happy when I dip under 7. I cannot even begin to understand how you can keep up an average of 25mph for that long.

Firstly, a tt bike makes a massive difference - I couldn't average anything like that on a road bike either.
Secondly, just doing a fair big of racing really brings the speed on. I started off doing 25 minute 10s (<24mph), and couldn't imagine going any faster for ten miles, let alone 100, but it gradually just happens.
Thirdly, I cannot over emphasise what a positive experience racing is if (a) you love cycling and (b) you have even the most remote of competitive urges. I spent far long dithering before i started (nerves, am I good enough etc etc), but as soon as I started, all that evaporated. If you join a club and rock up to their local evening ten, I guarantee you won't be last and I guarantee you'll be back for more.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
That is crazy stuff... And massive respect to anyone doing a 12 hour. Absolute madness.

As for the bit about not having the raw goods, with those kind of times, you've definitely got the engine. Would need work on top end and jump (the renound downfall of the tester! - I've beaten the King of testers Dr Hutch from a break of 2 because of that).

Thanks for the 12hr comment. I've done a couple, but had to bail out of one this year at the hundred mile mark - just felt totally empty. I really think that things at that end of the spectrum are far more about what's going on inside your head than your legs. I ran a few marathons before getting into testing and then rode London-Edinburgh-London and the national 24 and the mental side is always far harder than the physical.

And as to beating hutch in a 2 up break - that is just fabulous!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Firstly, a tt bike makes a massive difference - I couldn't average anything like that on a road bike either.
Secondly, just doing a fair big of racing really brings the speed on. I started off doing 25 minute 10s (<24mph), and couldn't imagine going any faster for ten miles, let alone 100, but it gradually just happens.
Thirdly, I cannot over emphasise what a positive experience racing is if (a) you love cycling and (b) you have even the most remote of competitive urges. I spent far long dithering before i started (nerves, am I good enough etc etc), but as soon as I started, all that evaporated. If you join a club and rock up to their local evening ten, I guarantee you won't be last and I guarantee you'll be back for more.

It's true. Before you know it you'll be trying to fit in 300 miles a week and doing turbo sessions before work!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Back in the day I tried and I tried turboing.
I even had Sufferfest (I think) DVD's to follow, but I just couldn't do it.

The last bit of organization I tried was a pretty good plan set out in a magazine.

I'd certainly recommend such things to others who want to maximise their riding without really understanding cadence, heart rate, recovery etc.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Back in the day I tried and I tried turboing.
I even had Sufferfest (I think) DVD's to follow, but I just couldn't do it.

The last bit of organization I tried was a pretty good plan set out in a magazine.

I'd certainly recommend such things to others who want to maximise their riding without really understanding cadence, heart rate, recovery etc.

It is both excruciatingly painful (if done properly) and extremely effective (if done properly)!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I wish I'd taken the plunge a while ago - I'm 50 now (!) and not as fast as I once was. Still, I can do the distance, I can get up the hills - it might just take me a while.

I have joined my local club though - Saturday morning rides are now faster than they were - through necessity!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
This some serious fallout from the USADA stuff..

Rabobank have pulled the plug on their team, the longest running in the peloton (1996). These riders are now unemployed -

A5jTCyZCYAAKkzS.png

Renshaw to OPQ maybe?!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey that is news.

Although I guess when the sponsorship in question is a bank...

Nevertheless that's still pretty shocking.
There is some out and out quality in that team.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I reckon it is more to do with the financial struggles of the Euro banking industry and they are using this as a convenient scapegoat.

However, as Teaboy put on his FB status, when they were part of the problem they turned a blind eye to it. Now the riders they have are part of the solution they jump ship. Fecking stinks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
David Millar ‏@millarmind
Dear Rabobank, you were part of the problem. How dare you walk away from your young clean guys who are part of the solution. Sickening.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
This some serious fallout from the USADA stuff..

Rabobank have pulled the plug on their team, the longest running in the peloton (1996). These riders are now unemployed -

A5jTCyZCYAAKkzS.png

Renshaw to OPQ maybe?!!

The Women's team too - so World and Olympic champion Marianne Vos (probably the best rider Rabobank have ever seen in any of their teams) also unemployed.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Going back to degreasers and cleaners etc. for a moment. I've just got back from Worthing in this stinking weather, and my poor bike was caked in road filth.

Now we spoke of degreasers, muc-off cleaners etc. but wow, 3 baby wipes and the bike is spotless!! Grip the chain with a wet wipe in your hand and spin the crank, beautiful! I wasn't sure I believed the wet wipe hype but I do now. It takes less wet wipes to get my bike spotless, than it did my any of my babies arses following a poo explosion!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Going back to degreasers and cleaners etc. for a moment. I've just got back from Worthing in this stinking weather, and my poor bike was caked in road filth.

Now we spoke of degreasers, muc-off cleaners etc. but wow, 3 baby wipes and the bike is spotless!! Grip the chain with a wet wipe in your hand and spin the crank, beautiful! I wasn't sure I believed the wet wipe hype but I do now. It takes less wet wipes to get my bike spotless, than it did my any of my babies arses following a poo explosion!

:whistle:

Don't forget to relube the chain when you can.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
According to the BBC [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] you couldn't ask for better weather on an autumnal Sunday.

Although I'm 100% sure you already know, it would still be a little remiss of one us not to mention the plus' and hazards of Sunday.

Assuming you get into a chain, be extra vigilant about the road in front, your eyes are for the people behind.
- Point out any pot holes etc, as you see them or after they have been pointed out to you.
- Hand signal slowing down for whatever reason (right arm out up and down movement)
- If a car is on the radar call it, and position if needed CAR, or CAR BACK etc.
(Dont be one of the knobs that thinks as there's a lot of you, you own the road)
- When crossing a junction, if it's clear, again call it, CLEAR. For flips sake don't call NOT CLEAR.
- Try and keep away from wet leaves and road paint.

All of this will be done by any old hands about, so just follow their lead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and the organisers will give you loads of grief about it not being a race.

Frankly that's bollox you had better win.
Don't think you can come back here if you're overtaken by anybody and without a gold standard time.

Most of all enjoy it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here