Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My first post on here. Back at the start of the summer I dug my old bike out as part of my now near two year health and fitness regime. I try to run twice a week, but what I really look forward to is an early morning start every Saturday morning and my 14-15 mile ride out. I'm quite lucky in that 7 miles away is a 1 in 6 climb which is the end of an ever steepening climb of about 2 miles. My aim is to make it to the top without stopping. Yesterday, I made it stopping once, but stuff me did I blow.

I have an eye on the London to Brighton but am not sure how serious I am. I'm just very pleased to feel so healthy right now. We booked our summer holiday flights yesterday and the Mrs mentioned possibly hiring bikes. I was all over that and am already thinking about early morning bike rides every day.

Someone started a disused railway line thread a few months back. I also want to do those seeing as how they seem to go through some seriously rural areas.

Bike ride, Falmer, curry. Saturdays are great.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks! Official Wiggle timing confirms a 'gold' time of 2:46, so very pleased for my first sportive.

Well done. It's a slippery slope from here - longer sportives, extra spending on equipment, maybe some proper road racing, hours on the bike, missing family events, planning holidays around the season!

Hope you've caught the bug!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm after some opinions.

There's a couple of 1970's Bianchi's up for grabs crying our for restoring.
So if I were to get my hands on one, should I do a faithful period job, or sympathetically bring up to date.

As the end product will be for resale I'm edging towards updating.
But it just isn't sitting comfortably as I'm thinking through the pros and cons of a winter project.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I'm after some opinions.

So if I were to get my hands on one, should I do a faithful period job, or sympathetically bring up to date.

But it just isn't sitting comfortably as I'm thinking through the pros and cons of a winter project.

Hmmm? Can you kit out a 70's frame with 'modern' bits & bobs?

I reckon a faithful (where appropriate) restoration job might be the way to go? Also, if you do this, then you've got a reason to go and do the Eroica!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm? Can you kit out a 70's frame with 'modern' bits & bobs?

I reckon a faithful (where appropriate) restoration job might be the way to go? Also, if you do this, then you've got a reason to go and do the Eroica!
That's the kind of thing I'm mulling over and will have to investigate.

It's the concept of putting 'new' on old, that I'm not sure of.
But I'm fairly confident it's the way to go for a profitable resale.

Heart & head kind of thing.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
If the frame is top, top quality and in A1 condition I think people might go for it but if its a fairly average (albeit a Bianchi!) frame then people will just see it for what it is - a 30 odd year old frame with some newer bits to tart it up.

I've got a 90's Bottecchia frame in the loft. I'm thinking of getting that out and putting it back together - i'd deffo go for 'period' components on it

dunno - just my thoughts...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah.
Neither bike is a museum piece.
Looking at them, they'll need a total overhaul.

If it weren't for the fact they are Bianchi's, (love'em or loathe'em they are distinctive and have a following) I'd get them both and do one of each. But as they are I'll probably end up with neither as they will go for stooopid money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My first post on here. Back at the start of the summer I dug my old bike out as part of my now near two year health and fitness regime. I try to run twice a week, but what I really look forward to is an early morning start every Saturday morning and my 14-15 mile ride out. I'm quite lucky in that 7 miles away is a 1 in 6 climb which is the end of an ever steepening climb of about 2 miles. My aim is to make it to the top without stopping. Yesterday, I made it stopping once, but stuff me did I blow.

I have an eye on the London to Brighton but am not sure how serious I am. I'm just very pleased to feel so healthy right now. We booked our summer holiday flights yesterday and the Mrs mentioned possibly hiring bikes. I was all over that and am already thinking about early morning bike rides every day.

Someone started a disused railway line thread a few months back. I also want to do those seeing as how they seem to go through some seriously rural areas.

Bike ride, Falmer, curry. Saturdays are great.
Great stuff.

This thread seems to be picking up newbies and cycling newbies almost daily, lovely jubbly.

You'd really enjoy L2B it's a great ride that isn't too strenuous.
I wouldn't worry to much about the Beacon, you've got to be a fairly keen bean to get down there before it'd clogged up with walkers, anyway.
If you can slowly raise your max distance to around 35-40 miles between now and then, you'll have a lovely achievement waiting for you, on thingy drive.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm after some opinions.

Definitely update it - get some nice Shimano Sora on it, or make it single-spee

Sorry, I couldn't finish that sentance for obvious reasons of taste and decency! Restore it to it's former glory as far as possible, and get the celeste bar tape on! :p

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
That's the kind of thing I'm mulling over and will have to investigate.

It's the concept of putting 'new' on old, that I'm not sure of.
But I'm fairly confident it's the way to go for a profitable resale.

Heart & head kind of thing.

Go for old. I just don't see the point of an old frame with new stuff on.

But you'll know better than me what people want.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With no form of evidence to back it up I just don't think there can be a market for a proper old skool bike.

I guess I'm really talking about the drivetrain, would anyone buy a bike with downtube shifters?

I certainly would be putting a disk wheel on the back :lol:

You'll all be pleased to know, I'm talking about proper proper old all celeste Bianchi's.
Not even I think either one could take celeste bar tape too.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I guess I'm really talking about the drivetrain, would anyone buy a bike with downtube shifters?

This should by no means be taken as extensive market research to aid your decision but I spent rather a LOT on my bike with downtube shifters. Its circa 1978/9 and as far as I know has all-original shimano 600 components.
It's beautiful - there's a market out there i reckon. Plus as someone mentioned above its a perfect excuse for l'Eroica.

Of course I subsequently spent double on a new bike, but i still commute on the Koga Miyata every day.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
yacf.co.uk is the preferred haunt of audax enthusiasts and similar, and a number of restored, original spec machines have passed through their classifieds in the last couple of years. Might be worth checking out.

And while we're (I'm) on the subject (of audaxes!), I'll just put out a quiet shout for the auk website and the rides listed therein. For those not in the know, audax rides are basically pared down sportives and for your much lower entry fee (typically £5-10), you get a printed route sheet, a number of manned checkpoints (but no mechanical support) and, sometimes, a sh*t load of free food and drink. There are lots of local ones, most organised by Dave Hudson, whose catering is legendary. Don't be put off by the beardy-weirdy, spd-sandal-wearing image put about by the rapha/colgnago cognoscenti - these are totally inclusive rides, catering for all sorts, and were my pathway into racing. There is usually a fair smattering of club men (especially in the off-season), as well as the die hard audaxistes and, unless you're ridiculously fit or riding a unicycle, there will be a group riding at your pace. Be aware that there are NO route markers, so you need to either take the route sheets/map, pre-load your Garmin or stick with someone who knows the route - can be a dangerous option if you puncture etc. In my experience they tend to attract more self-sufficient types, put off by the high entry fees and large numbers doing sportives and the full field will very rarely be more than 50 or 60. And there will never, ever be any published results, gold, silver or otherwise.... You don't have to be a member to do one, but the organiser will normally charge you £2 extra to cover indemnity insurance, unless you're in BC, CTC etc One final point is that audax exists mainly to support the ambitions of long distance riders, so as well as a good number of 100k rides, there are 200s, 300s, 400s and 600s, leading up to the 1400k 4-yearly grandaddy, London-Edinburgh-London.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
yacf.co.uk is the preferred haunt of audax enthusiasts and similar, and a number of restored, original spec machines have passed through their classifieds in the last couple of years. Might be worth checking out.

And while we're (I'm) on the subject (of audaxes!), I'll just put out a quiet shout for the auk website and the rides listed therein. For those not in the know, audax rides are basically pared down sportives and for your much lower entry fee (typically £5-10), you get a printed route sheet, a number of manned checkpoints (but no mechanical support) and, sometimes, a sh*t load of free food and drink. There are lots of local ones, most organised by Dave Hudson, whose catering is legendary. Don't be put off by the beardy-weirdy, spd-sandal-wearing image put about by the rapha/colgnago cognoscenti - these are totally inclusive rides, catering for all sorts, and were my pathway into racing. There is usually a fair smattering of club men (especially in the off-season), as well as the die hard audaxistes and, unless you're ridiculously fit or riding a unicycle, there will be a group riding at your pace. Be aware that there are NO route markers, so you need to either take the route sheets/map, pre-load your Garmin or stick with someone who knows the route - can be a dangerous option if you puncture etc. In my experience they tend to attract more self-sufficient types, put off by the high entry fees and large numbers doing sportives and the full field will very rarely be more than 50 or 60. And there will never, ever be any published results, gold, silver or otherwise.... You don't have to be a member to do one, but the organiser will normally charge you £2 extra to cover indemnity insurance, unless you're in BC, CTC etc One final point is that audax exists mainly to support the ambitions of long distance riders, so as well as a good number of 100k rides, there are 200s, 300s, 400s and 600s, leading up to the 1400k 4-yearly grandaddy, London-Edinburgh-London.

Just had a look - looks interesting. Always wondered what an Audax was.

For those of us without Garmins I would imagine that it's very easy to lose your way, though, or stopping at every junction could become a little dull.

Still, cheaper than sportives!

Having done quite a few sportives this year, the prices vary enormously. Wiggle Series events were usually about £25, and an SRS one i did a couple of weeks ago, Brighton to Brighton was £35(!). I made sure I weighed myself down by filling my pockets with Clif Bars and Blocs in that one (probably why I missed out on a Gold time by a few minutes...).

On the other hand, Evans' Ride It events were very reasonably priced - usually about £12.50, with copious amounts of food, excellent mechanical support and quite good goodie-bags at the end. Quite a few events locally. I'll be looking them out next year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

My go to for all things old is:-

Retrobike | If its in

The forum and classifieds are so geeky they make us lot look like The Fonz.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here