Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This thread needs a binfest, and I'm gonna give you one.

WTF have you guys been up to today? The tour route gets announced and you only manage 10 posts! Sort yourselves out this just is not good enough.

Oh, and one more thing, if I hear any talk of celeste bar tape on here I'm gonna ask the mods to lock this thread. :dunce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They started it!

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I am absolutely crap at visualizing any Grand Tour when it's just written down.
I need the full pictorial works, with stage profiles, etc, before I have even the slightest clue what's going on.

TBH I've not really looked Alp d'Huez twice, Ventoux and twilight Champs.
The only nice touch I have picked out is they are actually going round the Arc de Triomphe, which will be pretty cool.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm not sure about this route, I never like it when they do not really go round the hexagon, it just does not seem right. Some interesting stages in there though.

Stage 2 is pretty lumpy for this early on in the Tour. Nothing to be gained, but time to be lost for someone early doors. Maybe a crash for a big name (I'm looking at you Andy), on what looks like a long descent.

PROFIL.jpg

Stage 4 a Team Time Trial which I like, I think every grand tour should have one, as long as it isn't too long, which this one isn't. It makes for great TV.

Stages 8 & 9 look fairly standard Pyreneean stuff, should be good, especially 9.

PROFIL.jpg

Then the first ITT, no profile available for that yet, so who knows? Both ITTs are pretty short though so the Tour won't be won in them that's for sure. Could be lost there though (hi Andy, nice to see you again).

Stage 15. Ventoux, yay! Oh, what. A massively pointless flat 222km first. Peleton dawdling for a day while some no hopers from the small teams get in the break. Should have just made it a mountain time trial, would have been more interesting.

PROFIL.jpg

Stage 18 Alpe d'Huez twice, got to love that. Definitely taking a day off work that day.

PROFIL.jpg

Stage 19 this is what I like another savage one. Another day off work too. Winner decided here?

PROFIL.jpg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Stage 20 could be interesting if it is still close. The GC guys will have to go at each other from the start as it is so short with a decent climb at the end. Of course if Contador is winning by five minutes this stage will be really dull. Prudhomme has taken quite a risk viewing figures wise putting Alpe d'Huez on a Thursday and this on the final Saturday.

PROFIL.jpg

Err... Stage 21. They ride round Paris for a bit and Cav wins. The End.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
They started it!

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I am absolutely crap at visualizing any Grand Tour when it's just written down.
I need the full pictorial works, with stage profiles, etc, before I have even the slightest clue what's going on.

TBH I've not really looked Alp d'Huez twice, Ventoux and twilight Champs.
The only nice touch I have picked out is they are actually going round the Arc de Triomphe, which will be pretty cool.

There you go, profiles. This is virtually all of them that are available at the moment. We really need to see the other stage profiles to get a full idea, hopefully there are plenty of tricky little climbs near the end of stages again. I like those.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was it early this season or perhaps early last season, that a 5 dayer started in Corsica.
So that'll be a fairly well route.

I hope the other Pyrenees stage has a bit more oomph, that one has damp squid written all over it.
Although Saint Girons is looovverly.

Gotta love Ventoux.
I think it's pretty tricky to get to without a meandering flat stage.
Hoping for a shoot out.
Perhaps a Bert gang up pre Alps, fingers crossed.

Alpe d'Huez is gonna be mentals, hopefully it's not over egging, it shouldn't be, but frick me the Dutch are going to be smashed.

Nice to have some work to be done on stage 20.

Cav is going to look stunning on a dark Champs going round the Arch.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Was it early this season or perhaps early last season, that a 5 dayer started in Corsica.
So that'll be a fairly well route.

I hope the other Pyrenees stage has a bit more oomph, that one has damp squid written all over it.
Although Saint Girons is looovverly.

Gotta love Ventoux.
I think it's pretty tricky to get to without a meandering flat stage.
Hoping for a shoot out.
Perhaps a Bert gang up pre Alps, fingers crossed.

Alpe d'Huez is gonna be mentals, hopefully it's not over egging, it shouldn't be, but frick me the Dutch are going to be smashed.

Nice to have some work to be done on stage 20.

Cav is going to look stunning on a dark Champs going round the Arch.

Cav and corners don't mix well though. I suppose it's a chance for him to moan about someone blocking him as he chooses the wrong line though. :)

Just had a look at the route and it doesn't look as nice as they usually do. That huge slice down through the middle isn't in keeping with the usual style. Also I think they are spending too much time in the Alps, just personal opinion but I prefer the Pyrenees.

Oh, and Stage 2 looks wicked for the start of a Grand Tour. It will make sure the GC contenders are firing on all cylinders from the start.

My "money" for the GC is on Bertie, Froome, Cadel (unless there are any skeletons found in any closets).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cav and corners don't mix well though. I suppose it's a chance for him to moan about someone blocking him as he chooses the wrong line though. :)

Just had a look at the route and it doesn't look as nice as they usually do. That huge slice down through the middle isn't in keeping with the usual style. Also I think they are spending too much time in the Alps, just personal opinion but I prefer the Pyrenees.

Oh, and Stage 2 looks wicked for the start of a Grand Tour. It will make sure the GC contenders are firing on all cylinders from the start.

My "money" for the GC is on Bertie, Froome, Cadel (unless there are any skeletons found in any closets).
Cav and The Champs is different gravy, plus Quickstep will most definitely get him there.

There is no way Cadel will podium, absolutely no way.

You've gone a bit to Antipodean a bit quick there Woodchip.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I wasn't saying Cav won't win in Paris. I was taking the piss out of his bout of spills in this years TdF when there was a corner in the last 1km.

Why no Cadel on the poduim SB? He's a proven GC contender and, apart from his whiney traits, he's not a bad climber or descender. The double Alpe d'Huez will probably see him and Bertie first over the line.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I wasn't saying Cav won't win in Paris. I was taking the piss out of his bout of spills in this years TdF when there was a corner in the last 1km.

Why no Cadel on the poduim SB? He's a proven GC contender and, apart from his whiney traits, he's not a bad climber or descender. The double Alpe d'Huez will probably see him and Bertie first over the line.

I think Cadel is fading a bit - just as well he won the tour when he did, because he's on the way down.

Bertie 1st, Froome 3rd...2nd Purito!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Cadel is fading a bit - just as well he won the tour when he did, because he's on the way down.

Bertie 1st, Froome 3rd...2nd Purito!
Fading a bit, I think he's long gone.

I'm chuffed he won the Worlds, it gave us a good 18 months of what he can be on a bike.
But I think he's done now.
He might still talk a good game, but he'll not be contending.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
New cables and outers, is a necessity. I'm sure this discussion has moved on now but it is worth saying. I change mine so often it is ridiculous but I just love how smooth it all is when it is new.

Thanks! Official Wiggle timing confirms a 'gold' time of 2:46, so very pleased for my first sportive.

Have we lost 1066 to the dark arts of fettling.

He seems to have gone a long time (for him) without posting on here.

Funny time to be laying low seeing as there's so much going on in cycling to comment on lately and this thread has jogged along a treat.

First up has to be a big well done to Bold Seagull :clap2: Impressive stuff!, but most important of all you had a great time doing it. Nice one.

Had a very brief look at Le Tour route today but not taken any of it in yet really. At some point before the new wall calendar goes up at work for next years holidays I need to sit down and plan my cycling viewing days off work - as Pantani says, some stages jump out as days booked off in advance, but I'd like to work out the Classics, and all three Grand Tours and see what realistically I can do I think.

As regards my own little teach yourself basic bike mechanics shannanigans - SB got it about spot on with the Father Ted clip I think :lol: Thanks for the advice all, re: cabling and outers, baby wipes etc etc. Little did I know though that a mere tinker with the rear derailleur to iron out two little gears jumps would result in new cables, outers AND bar tape as the exsisiting tape had been put on top from bottom instead of the right way round meaning I couldn't just peel some back and put it back again. Oh well probably done me a favour, as has discovering I need proper cable/outer cutters too. So I've been spending yet more money ordering items in off the internet as I've no decent LBS to source what I need from. Work is currently at a stand still as I await deliveries.

In honour of SB and to repay his kindness on the jockey wheels I've gone and ordered Celeste bar tape....

.....only joking, the colours on my bike are hideous enough and not even SB could convert me there :kiss: I did briefly consider embracing hideous and going Splash tape but then I came across this:
Splash Horror :lol:

I won't reveal what tape I did go for in the end as I hope to post a new pic of the bike all ready to ride out on, if, and sometimes I think it's a big IF with my limited skills, I get it to that point.

As for commenting on the Lance affair and all it's ramifications. Nothing to add really as the cycling geeks have been doing us proud over on that thread.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh, quick P.S

You lucky git champion7! Hope you have a great time.

Also, as mags were mentioned earlier... I picked up the launch copy of Cyclist today. Pricey, and having had a brief flick through it I can see why and what sort of market it seems to be aimed at. I can't see me buying it again, but I should mention there's a Jens Q&A in there so I know someone who might appreciate it being passed on to them :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh, quick P.S

You lucky git champion7! Hope you have a great time.

Also, as mags were mentioned earlier... I picked up the launch copy of Cyclist today. Pricey, and having had a brief flick through it I can see why and what sort of market it seems to be aimed at. I can't see me buying it again, but I should mention there's a Jens Q&A in there so I know someone who might appreciate it being passed on to them :thumbsup:
I need to get an overview of Jens' responses to Lance.
I don't think he's covered himself in glory, but I might be wrong, so I'll not condone just yet.

Re your currently issues, if we all hadn't been there done that we wouldn't know it existed.
It's no different as rite of passage as a cleat fall, hang in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here