Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Does anyone know whether they're reintroducing the stage finish time bonuses? I know they're probably a bit of a Marmite issue, but I really like them and think they make the first week a lot more exciting.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Had a very brief look at Le Tour route today but not taken any of it in yet really. At some point before the new wall calendar goes up at work for next years holidays I need to sit down and plan my cycling viewing days off work - as Pantani says, some stages jump out as days booked off in advance, but I'd like to work out the Classics, and all three Grand Tours and see what realistically I can do I think.

What he means is, he needs a week off prior to each part of the fantasy league in order to fully scour wiki and all riders own personal blogs to optimise his team and plan all potential daily transfers!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do we really think that Wiggins letting Froome lead the Tour is a done deal? It's being suggested as such, but listening to the interviews it's a lot more open than that. I can't see Wiggins giving up the chance to retain the title lightly, and Sky must be a little concerned at how Froome dropped off in the Vuelta (although granted he was potentially fatigued by the Tour). I remain to be convinced that over an entire Tour Froome will repesent a better chance for success than Wiggins. Did anyone else feel that those moments when Froome was taking off on some of the climbs wasn't always that Wiggins was struggling, but more that Wiggins had a more tactical sense of where he was in the GC and what was required to win this year. Hard to tell. After seeing Contador in the Vuelta, it's hard to see past him though...

Perhaps they will go with Froome given the climbs next year, however I really don't think it's as clear cut and perhaps Wiggins was playing the modest team man rather than any definite decision being taken. It's all very well packaging it up by saying it would be nice to have a collection of tour wins and going for the Giro, but you wouldn't go Giro over going for retaining your Tour title would you? I mean would you?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Do we really think that Wiggins letting Froome lead the Tour is a done deal? It's being suggested as such, but listening to the interviews it's a lot more open than that. I can't see Wiggins giving up the chance to retain the title lightly, and Sky must be a little concerned at how Froome dropped off in the Vuelta (although granted he was potentially fatigued by the Tour). I remain to be convinced that over an entire Tour Froome will repesent a better chance for success than Wiggins. Did anyone else feel that those moments when Froome was taking off on some of the climbs wasn't always that Wiggins was struggling, but more that Wiggins had a more tactical sense of where he was in the GC and what was required to win this year. Hard to tell. After seeing Contador in the Vuelta, it's hard to see past him though...

Perhaps they will go with Froome given the climbs next year, however I really don't think it's as clear cut and perhaps Wiggins was playing the modest team man rather than any definite decision being taken. It's all very well packaging it up by saying it would be nice to have a collection of tour wins and going for the Giro, but you wouldn't go Giro over going for retaining your Tour title would you? I mean would you?

They'll take the Team Sky approach and analyse things purely scientifically. They'll not let the emotions of having the defending champion get in the way.

Brad at the top of his game would gain a small amount of time over Contador on the first TT but nothing on a mountain time trial. Contador could gain small amounts on mountain top finishes with his acceleration. Froome has the potential to hold Contador in the mountains and the TT.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Wiggins seems to be making it pretty clear that his focus will be on the Giro to me.

Wiggins confirms that Giro d’Italia will take priority over Tour de France in 2013

If he were to go back on the things he says here that would be incredibly damaging for team morale, I think. I can't see beyond Contador to win, given the tour profile, and I'd imagine that Wiggo can see this too, so it suits him to say that he'll concentrate on the Giro and support Froome in the Tour. I don't think either has much of a chance of winning, but hopefully Froome will be on the podium.

With the Giro being so Time Trial heavy next year, and given the make up of the tour, I'd imagine it didn't take much time for Wiggins to decide on his priorities for 2013.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They'll take the Team Sky approach and analyse things purely scientifically. They'll not let the emotions of having the defending champion get in the way.

Brad at the top of his game would gain a small amount of time over Contador on the first TT but nothing on a mountain time trial. Contador could gain small amounts on mountain top finishes with his acceleration. Froome has the potential to hold Contador in the mountains and the TT.

Funny how the press have presented it as a done deal though. As you say Sky will no doubt have all their training camps designed to monitor each of the riders performance over similar stages to properly work out who is best placed to compete for the Tour. Would I be right in saying Sky's other advantage is their strength in depth to keep a high peloton pace if necessary, and make it more difficult for the breaks to occur (not that they won't) in keeping with their GC contender, and backing them up for longer. They were certainly formidable this year, and some of the 'boring' comments about a lack of attacks in some of the stages this year is credit to Sky, who like a well drilled midfield, got a 1 nil lead and shut up shop?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wiggins seems to be making it pretty clear that his focus will be on the Giro to me.

Wiggins confirms that Giro d’Italia will take priority over Tour de France in 2013

If he were to go back on the things he says here that would be incredibly damaging for team morale, I think. I can't see beyond Contador to win, given the tour profile, and I'd imagine that Wiggo can see this too, so it suits him to say that he'll concentrate on the Giro and support Froome in the Tour. I don't think either has much of a chance of winning, but hopefully Froome will be on the podium.

With the Giro being so Time Trial heavy next year, and given the make up of the tour, I'd imagine it didn't take much time for Wiggins to decide on his priorities for 2013.

I lot of the press seem to have taken a much more definite interupretation over the interview though. I listened to it, and it was much more about deciding who would lead, that perhaps he'd end up going for the Giro, that if he needed to he'd support Froome. And to be fair, Froome has said much the same. Personally, I think the press have jumped the gun a bit, and there is much more work to be done before a massive decision is made like that not a few hours after the course being announced.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I lot of the press seem to have taken a much more definite interupretation over the interview though. I listened to it, and it was much more about deciding who would lead, that perhaps he'd end up going for the Giro, that if he needed to he'd support Froome. And to be fair, Froome has said much the same. Personally, I think the press have jumped the gun a bit, and there is much more work to be done before a massive decision is made like that not a few hours after the course being announced.

On his Facebook page he's pretty sure of his priorities, I think. He writes:

"I am probably going to concentrate on the Giro next year, because for me it is the only other race on the cycling calendar – along with Paris-Roubaix – that is up there with the Tour de France in terms of historicalness. It is just beautiful. I’d love to win that pink jersey as well as the yellow."

I just feel that by making statements like this now and not waiting, he's laying his cards on the table, letting Froome know he'll be top dog for the Tour. I really think that he knows that he will not win next year's tour, so he's letting everyone know that he won't try to do so.

Perhaps if something happened to Bertie (!?) he might change his mind, but I doubt it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
On his Facebook page he's pretty sure of his priorities, I think. He writes:

"I am probably going to concentrate on the Giro next year, because for me it is the only other race on the cycling calendar – along with Paris-Roubaix – that is up there with the Tour de France in terms of historicalness. It is just beautiful. I’d love to win that pink jersey as well as the yellow."

I just feel that by making statements like this now and not waiting, he's laying his cards on the table, letting Froome know he'll be top dog for the Tour. I really think that he knows that he will not win next year's tour, so he's letting everyone know that he won't try to do so.

Perhaps if something happened to Bertie (!?) he might change his mind, but I doubt it.

You might well be right, I'd like to think there is a lot more mystery over this to come yet. In terms of historicalness, it's the centenary tour! How historical could he want? (if he thinks he could win it...).

p.s. How was you're 50 miler yesterday? looked like a lot of climbing! :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 18477

Bradley wiggins is a chicken. Scared of hills so wimping out already. You didn't see lance wimp out when he won 7 titles in a row!!!

:moo:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You might well be right, I'd like to think there is a lot more mystery over this to come yet. In terms of historicalness, it's the centenary tour! How historical could he want? (if he thinks he could win it...).

p.s. How was you're 50 miler yesterday? looked like a lot of climbing! :thumbsup:

Great thanks - I often find myself searching out as many hills as I can think of when I go out - God knows why, I'm never going to get any quicker going up them, or so it seems!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
More than all the Contador talk for Le Tour, what interests me most is where Nicholas Roche fits into all this. He's used to being team leader at AG2r so what will his plans be for 2012 and Le Tour in particular I wonder. Will he be targeting the Vuelta perhaps?, seeing as there's likely to be a lot less TT and more climbing than the Giro next season.

I assume he'll ride Le Tour as say a Daniel Moreno to J Rod type role? Assuming Majka is still signed for next season along with the likes of Paulinho that's some pretty serious dom help Contador will have. With Roche riding then Contador won't be as isolated as he has been in the high mountains. Roche as some sort of Super Dom will be interesting... or shall we get all conspiratorial and see Roche as a back up plan for team leader should the shit hit the fan with Spanish cycling???

Edit: I've also heard that Le Tour will have 8 rider teams rather than 9 next year too. Still 22 teams though. Not sure if this has been confirmed officially though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here