Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hurray! Bar tape all on and I'm quite pleased with the result. Figure of 8 took a little bit of working out but all went fairly smoothly with hoods covering it a treat. Not sure about leaving the Cinelli end tape showing though, may have to cover that all over with the black insulation tape. Front light back on too but need new cable ties for the cateye. Early trip out tomorrow morning to get cable ties, as the replacements I snaffled from work are too short, and I'll be all ready for a nice ride tomorrow God willing. I'll take pics of the bike just before I go hopefully so you can laugh at my efforts.

I also hear you Boldseagull. Will be an early ride for me tomorrow so I can be back to take the kids out on their bikes over to the swings & slides. Everyone's a winner seeing as I'm giving Blackpool a swerve now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
May have to use my overshoes tomorrow - I say overshoes when I really mean my old football socks with a hole cut in the bottom for the cleats!!
Stat Brothers patented free close feet advise.

Put sellotape over the vents in the soles of your shoes.
Don't think 'I'll just wear more socks'.
Don't over tighten your shoes.
Put overshoes/socks on.

If all else fails wear a nappy sack/dog pooh bag on each foot.
Honest, in true tight arsed more puncture patches than inner tube cycling style, it works the best.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Stone me what a difference a week makes.

I knew it was cold before I got out of bed, but with a wind in my face coming over the North Downs it was not as enjoyable today. Someone I know tweeted that it was snowing on the M25 in Surrey not long before I went out, so that kind of explains it.

Anyway made it up the 1 in 6 stopping just once, so last week was not a fluke. Didn't take too much out of me, but I did have a double strength coffee before I went out which must make me a cheat. Weird how I think to myself that the second part isn't that bad as I go up (my way of convincing myself I will do it without stopping in the future), but I surprised myself coming back down just how far it is. Cutting out that 'rest' is gonna take some doing, but I am going to get there.

Thanks for the L2B support SB. I have this theory that if you can walk X miles you can cycle Y times further. Having done a 13-14 mile sponsored walk recently, I believe I could do the L2B without too much 'training' if that doesn't sound too cocky. I'd love to do Ditchling in one go, but know its not on until I can do my 1 in 6 and even then, the massively longer ride to get there might make it impossible.

Now, will need some warmer kit.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bitch of a head wind this morning until I turned the corner at Poynings & the rest of my ride to home was PR's!! I actually got 8th fastest down King George VI which could have been better had a cross wind at 37 mph not created a mess in my shorts, and caused me to apply the brakes!!

My next purchase is income protection in the event of an accident!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Went out on my first proper ride this morning. Just under 35km loop from Hastings to Rye taking in Winchelsea Beach and Pett on the way back. Just about made it up Chick Hill in Pett but it was touch and go. It's 25% but only about 100m long - J Rod heaven (I had to keep telling myself that to stop me from falling off). Really not the best conditions for my debut ride today. Brutal headwind in places but more frightening was the crosswinds Bold Seagull mentioned. I nearly shit myself too on some of the little descents as a few crosswinds earlier in the ride put the wind right up me. On the plus side, turning round at Rye and heading back home was a joy with a tail wind back through to Pett making for a lovely ride.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Went out on my first proper ride this morning. Just under 35km loop from Hastings to Rye taking in Winchelsea Beach and Pett on the way back. Just about made it up Chick Hill in Pett but it was touch and go. It's 25% but only about 100m long - J Rod heaven (I had to keep telling myself that to stop me from falling off). Really not the best conditions for my debut ride today. Brutal headwind in places but more frightening was the crosswinds Bold Seagull mentioned. I nearly shit myself too on some of the little descents as a few crosswinds earlier in the ride put the wind right up me. On the plus side, turning round at Rye and heading back home was a joy with a tail wind back through to Pett making for a lovely ride.
I take it, all was running smoothly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Sounds great 1066! Well done on the climb, I'm training my mind not to think of stopping, it has a tendency to be thinking 'there's a good place to stop...what about here...' Im ignoring myself now, and had my best climbs today. I'm also really with you on those gusts, one felt like it was just going to whip me up and dump me on the pavement, wish I had a heart rate monitor to see the spikes!

Lovely out though, roads dry at least and some almost appearing to be washed clean.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I take it, all was running smoothly.

Warning: readers may want to switch over now as indulgent newbie ramblings coming your way.

Well it's running as smooth as a novice DIY bike mechanic can get an old Centaur running yes, but electronic or Super Record it isn't :lol: The only real problem came when I dropped my chain approaching a nasty little climb. If you know the A259 at all, there's a long drag down from Icklesham towards Winchelsea and at the bottom is Winchelsea Lodge where it then kicks up short and really sharp up into Winchelsea proper. With your advice ringing in my ears as I hit the bottom of the hill I dropped down onto the small front, having eased down a few at the back first...unfortunately I changed the front down a bit too quickly I think and the chain dropped on me. Fortunately there was a layby right there so I pulled in to fix things and grab a snack bar and drink ( bit hesitant taking stuff from jersey back pocket in those cross winds) Chain popped back on no trouble but I now had a standing start for the steep hill which wasn't ideal. Pleasingly though it went much better than I anticipated and was over before I knew it.

As Bold seagull says, roads where lovely and dry and clean today which was great, but boy do some road surfaces shake the old bones compared to the full sus mountain bike I've been used to. I put Endomondo on my Nokia in my back pocket for the ride too. Great to see the stats and almost like a little profile of the route on maps. Forgive my indulgences here all, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment but once the novelty wears off you'll be spared my little commentaries I expect. A big thank you though to all on here for inspiring me to get a road bike again and all the excellent advice - I'm bloody loving it!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
One more indulgence. This is Chick Hill viewed from the bottom. The brutal kick comes just around that bend. Luckily, as I said earlier, I'd had a long flat road with tail wind back from Rye before approaching this so I was sort of in half decent shape at that point. What shape I was in once I'd made it to the top is something completely different though :eek:

Chick_Hill_-_Steep_Hill_1-4_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1430868.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Opps a daisy, just realised the above is from the top going down. Here's the view from the bottom - it's the way that it bends to the left that got me confused, although the sign should have been the giveaway :facepalm:

1430874_a3af9cd2.jpg

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Shows how mainstream cycling is becoming.

Interesting to see Yates out at sky, seems like Brailsford is wielding the axe.

Has it now been confirmed that Yates has gone then? No surprise that he'd be another one that has to go in light of everyone being sat down for the chat.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just seen your post on the LA thread about Yates.

As Bradley Mcgee was mentioned on that thread, it'd be interesting to know how he squares the circle by working under Riis and being part of a team that dealt with the so called 2yr ban that AC got the way it did ???

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone been out today?

I'm not long back from a 42km loop along the seafront from Hastings to Pevensey Bay via Cooden & Normans Bay. Much better weather than yesterday. Loads of riders out along Norman's Bay too. I feel a bit shamefaced though. Right at the end of the ride I had Old London Road & Robertsons Hill to contend with. Having done Robinson Hill before on this bike after returning home on the train from buying it, I made it all the way up but felt like I was going to throw up at the top and the legs were screaming. Today, with 40km in my inexperienced legs, having made it up Old London Road ok I just run out of a place to go right at the top of Robertsons Hill where it ramps really nastily. I'm ashamed to say I got off and walked for a bit :blush: There, I've done it, confessed and now it's time to move on, lesson learnt for next time.

Anyway, question time, now that I've bored everyone silly again. I had three chain drops off the big front ring today when shifting down at the the back. Maybe I've gone too far over on the front derailleur?, I'm not sure. Any ideas anyone? Chain too loose perhaps?, me just being a muppet on my gear changes ( changing too fast) or something else? Any help appreciated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyway, question time, now that I've bored everyone silly again. I had three chain drops off the big front ring today when shifting down at the the back. Maybe I've gone too far over on the front derailleur?, I'm not sure. Any ideas anyone? Chain too loose perhaps?, me just being a muppet on my gear changes ( changing too fast) or something else? Any help appreciated.
Almost impossible to tell over t'internet.

Are you pushing your gears too hard.
Is front derailleur across too far and 'pushing' the chain off.
It's unlikely that the chain is too loose in the convention sense.
It might be worn loose, how much play is there when you move it side to side?
(be warned the wrong answer will cost you a new chain and rear cogs!)

In theory it should be fine in the 'wrong' gear, ie big sprinting gear on the front and big hill climbing gear on the back.
But it's never going to be happy if there are other issues going on.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Try this setup from today's national hill Climb champs!

A6Sp79PCcAI84Qj.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The drops nearly all came when I was dropping out of top gear (20) down through to say 17/18 as approaching road rises or needing to slow down for hazards.
The front derailleur has 3 pushes on both the top and bottom ring - left/middle/right if you know what I mean. For example to go into 1st gear I'd go far left on the small front to make it smooth on the big cog at the back. I'm wondering if going the other way I've set it too far right when in big front and small back (20)

To be honest I've really no clue on what chain tension should be, so I'm not sure how to test tension. In top gear if I push as far it can go from side to side I get about just over an inch of movement. The chain and rear cassette don't look worn, and in fact these were replaced quite recently by the bloke I bought it off as he told me they were both just Mavic rather than Centaur Campag.

I never use the front big and rear big ring together anyway as I know they aren't really to be expected to work well - I just shift the front down and go around middle back instead.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Try this setup from today's national hill Climb champs!

A6Sp79PCcAI84Qj.jpg

:lol: To be honest with some of the hills in Hastings and my legs that would do me a treat! Why do you think I went to a mountain bike from younger days on a road bike all those years ago. Watching a young lad ride up Elphinstone Rd one handed whilst drinking a can of coke was what clinched the deal for me and mountain bikes. I can still see that image in my head as clear as day.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The drops nearly all came when I was dropping out of top gear (20) down through to say 17/18 as approaching road rises or needing to slow down for hazards.
The front derailleur has 3 pushes on both the top and bottom ring - left/middle/right if you know what I mean. For example to go into 1st gear I'd go far left on the small front to make it smooth on the big cog at the back. I'm wondering if going the other way I've set it too far right when in big front and small back (20)

I'm afraid you don't get much say in this bit. The small screws set how far the front chainring will go at each extreme but not the indexing in between. You may want to check the angle it is at relative to the chain, as in whether the back of the front mech points to the hub or the derailleur.

To be honest I've really no clue on what chain tension should be, so I'm not sure how to test tension. In top gear if I push as far it can go from side to side I get about just over an inch of movement. The chain and rear cassette don't look worn, and in fact these were replaced quite recently by the bloke I bought it off as he told me they were both just Mavic rather than Centaur Campag.

I never use the front big and rear big ring together anyway as I know they aren't really to be expected to work well - I just shift the front down and go around middle back instead.

The rear mech tensions the chain. You'll just need to check that in the small front and small back gears, the chain isn't rubbing in the jockey wheels. Likewise, when in big front and big back cogs the rear mech shouldn't be at the extreme of its springs.

Otherwise, change into the small ring only a couple of clicks at a time, don't bang the lever right over.

As I can attest to, I'm afraid you just can't hammer 14 year old equipment like you can the new stuff!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here