Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As your first reaching wasn't 'I doubt it should move quite that far' or 'that felt loose', then the chain/cassette etc may well be ok.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice one Sam, thanks. That bit about the angle of the front mech is my next port of call then I think. I checked the height when I was doing all my indexing as I worked on the front first, setting the left and right limits with the two screws as you say. About a 2-3mm gap at each extreme and same gap from teeth to bottom of mech for height, but I hadn't thought of angles.

I think you hit the nail on the head about the speed of my shifting and the age of the bike/components I'm riding on. Rediscovered youth over enthusiasm I think :lol: That'll soon tone down a bit though once I've done a few more rides and the weather starts to get cold I expect.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As your first reaching wasn't 'I doubt it should move quite that far' or 'that felt loose', then the chain/cassette etc may well be ok.

Thanks SB. Trouble is I don't even know what feeling too loose even means to me as I've nothing to go by. What I do know is that the bloke I bought the bike off was really nice to deal with, totally honest pointing out every fault and was only selling the bike as he's developed a taste for Triathlon's and needed to sell the road bike to buy a tri-bike.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Double post

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I did 10 miles this morning. Didn't think it would be that far. Basically went out under orders to buy today's family meal and decided to bike it rather than drive. Saved my Saturday ride on Mapmyride and the climb counts as a 5. I'll have to look for a 4 once I get the 5 cracked, but can't think where nearby might cover it.

Am taking this week off as its half term, but don't really fancy going out during rush hour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did 10 miles this morning. Didn't think it would be that far. Basically went out under orders to buy today's family meal and decided to bike it rather than drive. Saved my Saturday ride on Mapmyride and the climb counts as a 5. I'll have to look for a 4 once I get the 5 cracked, but can't think where nearby might cover it.

Am taking this week off as its half term, but don't really fancy going out during rush hour.
So roughly where abouts are you riding?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
West Malling (half way between Maidstone & Sevenoaks)

If you were anywhere in Sussex, especially West Sussex, then you'd be laughing as SB would have oddles of suggestions for you.

Surely from where you are you've got to give Old Loose Hill a go at some point. I only really know the main road from Hastings through to Maidstone & A21 through to Sevenoaks from car journeys so I can't provide much help either. However, I'd have thought rides out to Paddock Wood & East Peckham has some nice lanes over rolling terrain. There's some nasty little hills up from Paddock Wood towards the Blueboys roundabout and back home again in reverse perhaps without actually going on the death trap that is the A21.

I tend to just use my local knowledge from driving to help me plan routes, taking terrain, scenery and car safety in mind. Google maps is great too I'd imagine if you wanted to plan routes to match the exact distance you're after. Assuming your avatar means you've got a motorbike, can't you do a reccy on that first for suitable routes?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
You did ask! Thanks for being ready to help had I been more local. Just varied the route to try and make the climb longer. Still a 5.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks 1066. I'll have to consider more off road. I'm a bit limited with family responsibilities, so I aim for a blast early morning weekend before everyone is up making demands of me. There's only so much I can get away with.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks 1066. I'll have to consider more off road. I'm a bit limited with family responsibilities, so I aim for a blast early morning weekend before everyone is up making demands of me. There's only so much I can get away with.

I wasn't thinking off road, just not going on too many busy main roads and certainly not the horrendous A21.

Similiar here with family but I've found the perfect cycling solution. This weekend I've escaped early for an hour or two ride then when I come back I take the two youngest out on their bikes for another couple of hours round trip to the swings & slides with me walking to ease off the stiff legs. The youngest is still on a balance bike so it works a treat for all concerned as the older one just rides off on her own up front then keeps doubling back as she waits for us to catch up - everybody's happy :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nice. I'll have a mooch on that site later. I have now found a 4. Funnily enough it's not too much of a deviation. I could do it as an alternative or even an addition (later!) to my route with the 5. Having gone 'streetview' on it, I reckon its a road that the local authorities forgot. Its a bit 'deliverance' so will need to male sure someone knows I'm there just in case. Roll on Saturday...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Nice. I'll have a mooch on that site later. I have now found a 4. Funnily enough it's not too much of a deviation. I could do it as an alternative or even an addition (later!) to my route with the 5. Having gone 'streetview' on it, I reckon its a road that the local authorities forgot. Its a bit 'deliverance' so will need to male sure someone knows I'm there just in case. Roll on Saturday...

What the hell is all this 3, 4 and 5 stuff?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I still have this, somewhere, and the wristband.

I can't believe it was 6 years ago.

$(KGrHqN,!ikE4sbS5mlqBOViQFOh(w~~_35.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here