Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If anyone has a bike repair stand they don't want, do let me know (for a fair used price) - I'm tired of propping my bike up, and I've spent most of my wedge on shoes, pedals, bibs, shirts, glasses, tyres, inner tubes, helmet, CO2 inflator, base layers, socks, .....etc......oh and the bike of course! :thumbsup:

DO NOT be tempted to buy this bike stand! Bicycle Work Stand Shop Repair Bike Home Truing Cycle Maintenance Tool Tray Fold | eBay Mine arrived yesterday and at first set up all was good.
I soon discovered that it has a major design fault in that the top cup that your frame rests in pinches your gear cables so you can't adjust them! It may not be the case for all bikes but that's what it did to me and I had to unbolt that cup and manipulate it until I could get the bike sitting in there with the cables sitting freely. It's not ideal but it'll do for now. Shame because other than that the stand feels robust and folds nicely for storage too. I suppose you get what you pay for.

On the Strava front - it's a shame they don't support Nokia. So I've put Endomondo on my phone and will give that a go with the phone in my jersey pocket. I can't justify the expense of a Garmin for the bike at this point so I just put a little wireless cateye on there instead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They run lovely and full of confidence I thought I'd adjust my rear derailleur settings too as two gears slipped very slightly. Having got so close to getting it just right I eventually ballsed everything up and now it's worse than when I started :(. There's another youtube video I think will work for me though and I'll tackle that tomorrow night so hopefully I'm finally set for my first proper ride at the weekend.
hahahaha Idexing is the darkest of all dark arts.

You now need to move to the maintenance section, on bikeradar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DO NOT be tempted to buy this bike stand! Bicycle Work Stand Shop Repair Bike Home Truing Cycle Maintenance Tool Tray Fold | eBay Mine arrived yesterday and at first set up all was good.
I soon discovered that it has a major design fault in that the top cup that your frame rests in pinches your gear cables so you can't adjust them! It may not be the case for all bikes but that's what it did to me and I had to unbolt that cup and manipulate it until I could get the bike sitting in there with the cables sitting freely. It's not ideal but it'll do for now. Shame because other than that the stand feels robust and folds nicely for storage too. I suppose you get what you pay for.

On the Strava front - it's a shame they don't support Nokia. So I've put Endomondo on my phone and will give that a go with the phone in my jersey pocket. I can't justify the expense of a Garmin for the bike at this point so I just put a little wireless cateye on there instead.
The 'top cup' should be grooved to account for that.
If not just buy a bike with internal cabling :whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's for fishing equipment! but it might help.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I knew that about rear derailleur adjusting having tinkered with my neglected mountain bike before now. I just got cocky and payed for it. Took the decision just before midnight to step away, have a night off tonight and come back to it feeling fresh tomorrow - well that's the theory anyway. I'm actually quite enjoying DIY mechanics and getting to know my bike inside out before I go out on any proper ride and make myself look a fool in those cleats.

Good point about the grooves. This doesn't have them but the cup is plastic and I may be able to adapt it that way rather than how I've done it so far. As I say, excellent stand for the money otherwise which makes it all the more a bit of a shame. As for internal cabling...if I could afford a bike with internal cabling I wouldn't be buying bike stands at that price anyhow now would I!? :annoyed: :jester:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As for internal cabling...if I could afford a bike with internal cabling I wouldn't be buying bike stands at that price anyhow now would I!? :annoyed: :jester:
Ooooooh someones tired. :kiss:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It is indeed. Try doing it with 14 year old campag that sat in a garage for 10 years!

What are you trying to say!? :(

Like I say, I can't even date this Battaglin 'Ferarra' but about 14 yrs old might not be far out, and it has a campag centaur group set. Hardly top of the range just out of the showroom stuff I'm dealing with here. All good learning experience though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I saw that video but I'll be going to the rear version of this tomorrow as my knobbly tyre friend here worked a treat for this last night.

9 - Front Derailleur Adjustment - YouTube

I was mainly using a rear video of a campag record adjust. I was fooling myself that it would work as easy for me on what I have.

Mar 12, 2008
Fellow Stravians, how cool is the comparison feature? If youre looking at someone's segment and click compare, on the profile of the segment it will give you dots of where that person was, where you were and where the fastest person was throughout the profile. Really good, SS great time on Bostal, I took it really slow at the start then got within 14secs of you at the top. Very cool to see the pace illustrated like that.

Yikes, had no idea that feature was on there. Impressive or what! Ha ha, thanks. Think I've been paying it too much respect, the guy who has KOM has a minute on us before we even hit the first incline!

I won't be comparing myself against Glanders, that's for sure!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
What are you trying to say!? :(

Like I say, I can't even date this Battaglin 'Ferarra' but about 14 yrs old might not be far out, and it has a campag centaur group set. Hardly top of the range just out of the showroom stuff I'm dealing with here. All good learning experience though.

I'm saying that's what I'm dealing with! I've got the annoying problem of the adjustment being too far one way at the bottom of the block then too far the other way at the top!

Have you put new cables in? If not then do it, if so then the adjustment will keep going out a bit stretches!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Thanks for that. My gear cables run internally through the frame and pop out under the bottom bracket, so it may work for me as it is. If you're saying it's nice and robust and folds away nicely, I may go for that one at that price. :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm saying that's what I'm dealing with! I've got the annoying problem of the adjustment being too far one way at the bottom of the block then too far the other way at the top!

Have you put new cables in? If not then do it, if so then the adjustment will keep going out a bit stretches!!

I haven't put new cables in no. Thanks for the tip, I may have to go down that route. The annoying thing is I had it to within a gnats last night, bottom and top running fine but just one small jump going up. I tried fine adjustments with the 'b screw'? but in the end I lost it all again and now it's jumping like a kangaroo and not going all the way down, which is even more puzzling. I just got totally confused and fed up and walked away.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for that. My gear cables run internally through the frame and pop out under the bottom bracket, so it may work for me as it is. If you're saying it's nice and robust and folds away nicely, I may go for that one at that price. :thumbsup:

Alright show off! :jester: But seriously, for you then this will be ideal as the bottom bracket cup doesn't snag at all. It really is easy to set up and fold away. Nice little tool tray on it too, but most importantly it feels rock solid and there's even a nice touch when you need it to keep the front wheel from keep moving side to side.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I haven't put new cables in no. Thanks for the tip, I may have to go down that route. The annoying thing is I had it to within a gnats last night, bottom and top running fine but just one small jump going up. I tried fine adjustments with the 'b screw'? but in the end I lost it all again and now it's jumping like a kangaroo and not going all the way down, which is even more puzzling. I just got totally confused and fed up and walked away.
That's 2 laughs tonight.

The amount of times I 'been there', it's great seeing someone else suffering!
I think of Father Ted tapping out the car.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just to keep everyone up to date, current NSC Stravians:
Myself (ST)
[MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] (TG)
[MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] (CL)
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] (MH)

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
I did do a bit of that, the rest of the thread got bored of me reliving past glories during the early season (see post #438)!

Wow, i had a look and that's quite a resumé! This is probably a massive breach of forum etiquette, but do you mind me asking your name? Despite only having raced for the last four years, I've followed the sport very closely since the 80s and may well have read about your exploits back in the day.

With regard to your other post about my times, I kind of hope you're right about the 25 - a mate who I'd normally beat by 1-2mins did a 53 at etwall, so I should be able to shave a decent chunk off on a drag strip. That's the theory anyway...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here