Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see Cav has just left Sky to go to Omega Pharma quick step
No great surprise.

It'll be a great move for him, and not too shabby for Sky, as it introduces a 'new' team for Le Tour breakaway catching.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
[MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] has posed a bike question for his wife.
We've got a little tied up with gear ratios, and what a 3 speed hub can cope with, verses an 8 speed hub.
Here's the maths, and I haven't got a scooby, so what the frick does this lot mean:-

Here's the direct comparison -

• Gear 1 - 75%
• Gear 2 - 100%
• Gear 3 - 133%

Verses

Gear Ratio 1 53%
Gear Ratio 2 64%
Gear Ratio 3 75%
Gear Ratio 4 85%
Gear Ratio 5 100%
Gear Ratio 6 122%
Gear Ratio 7 142%
Gear Ratio 8 162%

Of course, it depends what cog the bike has on the front and back as these are only ratios of that particular gear (say 40 tooth x 14 tooth). We'd need to know the exact ratio of these cogs on each bike for a proper comparison.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
If anyone has a bike repair stand they don't want, do let me know (for a fair used price) - I'm tired of propping my bike up, and I've spent most of my wedge on shoes, pedals, bibs, shirts, glasses, tyres, inner tubes, helmet, CO2 inflator, base layers, socks, .....etc......oh and the bike of course! :thumbsup:
Excuse the ignorance .C02 inflator ? do modern racing bikes not have air in the tyres anymore?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's the direct comparison -

• Gear 1 - 75%
• Gear 2 - 100%
• Gear 3 - 133%

Verses

Gear Ratio 1 53%
Gear Ratio 2 64%
Gear Ratio 3 75%
Gear Ratio 4 85%
Gear Ratio 5 100%
Gear Ratio 6 122%
Gear Ratio 7 142%
Gear Ratio 8 162%

Cool, the 8 speed is a 38T front ring v 40T for the 3 speed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Excuse the ignorance .C02 inflator ? do modern racing bikes not have air in the tyres anymore?
It's a gadget to rapidly inflate your tyre, instead of using a traditional pump.

Think attaching your newly fixed punctured wheel to a soda stream for 5 seconds.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
It's a gadget to rapidly inflate your tyre, instead of using a traditional pump.

Think attaching your newly fixed punctured wheel to a soda stream for 5 seconds.

Thankyou .. you learn something new everyday !

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I wonder if [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] s wife is ever going to fully appreciate the research that has gone into the purchase of her bike!?

I'll be expecting to see her Poynings to Devils Dyke climb on Strava sometime soon :thumbsup:

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I notice you guys covered lube a few pages ago. As it's nearly the weekend, let's get personal...

Chamois creme. What are you slathering on down there?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I notice you guys covered lube a few pages ago. As it's nearly the weekend, let's get personal...

Chamois creme. What are you slathering on down there?

1. A really good pair of shorts makes this unnecessary, I find
2. When I do use it, I'm happy with Sudocreme - used for nappy rash with babies and far cheaper than bespoke stuff.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I wonder if [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] s wife is ever going to fully appreciate the research that has gone into the purchase of her bike!?

I'll be expecting to see her Poynings to Devils Dyke climb on Strava sometime soon :thumbsup:

I've just got home from a 50 mile loop that finished with that very climb. Windy up there today!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Never used it for the same reason as Pogue, good shorts.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I've just got home from a 50 mile loop that finished with that very climb. Windy up there today!

It feels like a hurricane every time i leave the house recently. A lot of that is probably just me struggling for an excuse though, rather than a Michael Fish style oversight.

1. A really good pair of shorts makes this unnecessary, I find
2. When I do use it, I'm happy with Sudocreme - used for nappy rash with babies and far cheaper than bespoke stuff.

I think, in actuality, I've probably been using it out of habit and would no doubt be okay without on most rides. I've only got Wiggle's own bib shorts for now though, but they seem okay to me.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Strava ???

PM username if you are!

Signed up in the summer, but haven't got round to using it yet. Doesn't it drain the battery of your mobile?

Not sure what my user name is, or how it works particularly. Must get on the case, and will pm my user name when I find it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Signed up in the summer, but haven't got round to using it yet. Doesn't it drain the battery of your mobile?

Not sure what my user name is, or how it works particularly. Must get on the case, and will pm my user name when I find it.

Likewise, not used yet. Not sure anyone on here would be interested in my rides through the new forest/rural Dorset.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Strava ???

PM username if you are!

Had a look, and it seems to have recorded most of the first day of LEJOG - that's what I signed up to it for, but I gave up after day 1 as my mobile was completely drained.

Is my user name the name next to the icon at the top of the page? If it is, that's MY name - I'll pm it. I'm not really called Pogue Mahone...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
***STRAVA and CONSERVING IPHONE BATTERY***

Right, if you go out, stick Strava on but if leave everything else on your iphone as normal - your battery won't last.

Turn off:
3G (Strava uses the GPS chip) and you shouldn't need data on your ride (messages and phone are fine through 2G)
WIFI
Bluetooth (unless using Bluetooth heart rate monitor or cadence)
Turn down brightness (turn off auto brightness)
Notifications / Push functions (which normally stop anyway when you've turned 3g and Wifi off)

With these done I can have the screen on with MotionX GPS giving me directions + Strava for about 4 or so hrs.

With just Strava and your phone in your pocket with the screen off, you should get more.

Constant searching for 3G, Wifi and Bluetooth signals, constant looking to 'push data', and the backlight of the phone really drain the battery.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION].

Have you seen this from the classified WANTED section, it might be worth taking the initiative.

BikeRadar.com View topic - Blue or partially blue saddle

Thanks SB, I didn't realise they had a wants page too - that could prove handy. There's an Arione for sale at the mo, the colours I'm after too, but it's a bit tatty at the edges and I'm not in a huge rush as I find the Selle already on the bike comfortable enough for now ( although I've only been on a couple of short test rides). I think it makes sense for me to take up Glanders kind offer first to see if an Arione is the saddle for me - style wise I'm sold already, but it'll be all about the fit.

Another long teach myself bike mechanics session for me last night. Got your jockey wheels fitted a treat, once I'd discovered that your bolts were a thread or two too short and I used my old ones instead :thumbsup: They run lovely and full of confidence I thought I'd adjust my rear derailleur settings too as two gears slipped very slightly. Having got so close to getting it just right I eventually ballsed everything up and now it's worse than when I started :(. There's another youtube video I think will work for me though and I'll tackle that tomorrow night so hopefully I'm finally set for my first proper ride at the weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here