Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No probs.

Whiteways, Bignor, Fittleworth, bottom of Petworth, Duncton, Eartham, Slindon, Whiteways.
Whiteways, Slindon, Fontwell, Oving, Chichester, Goodwood, then either back through Duncton or Eartham.
Whiteways, Amberley, Storrington, Washington, Steyning, Steyning Bostal (Bold Seagull now laughing), seafront, Worthing, etc.
Whiteways, F/Worth, Petworth, Balls Cross, Fishers Farm loop, some village with hill in its name north of Storrington.

That'll do for now, I'll check out the last one on a map and pad it out for you, as it's a really nice ride.

Whiteways, F/Worth, Petworth, Balls Cross, Kirdford, Wisborough Green, Adversane, then either West Chiltington or Thakenham, can't remember which, but I doubt there's much difference, Storrington.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Whiteways, F/Worth, Petworth, Balls Cross, Kirdford, Wisborough Green, Adversane, then either West Chiltington or Thakenham, can't remember which, but I doubt there's much difference, Storrington.

Thanks very much. I'll look into these.
My routes were starting to get a bit stale and i might need the temptation of something new to get out more over the winter.

Mar 12, 2008
This is going to be another plug for Strava, but if you register for free online www.strava.com you can click <explore>, click <activity search> then type in a search such as 'Brighton to Arundel' or 'Arundel Loop', and specify whether Road, MTB etc. and you will be returned with routes Strava users have used. Really good resource for working out a decent route.

I'm on this Bold. Can you PM your username and I'll start following you, cheers. I was hoping to beat my PB up Steyning Bostal tonight.....wasn't to be!

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Another tail wind then Glanders as you break another KOM Strava record this week for a 1st place climb?? Are you going for 1 record a day!?! :lolol:

Ha ha, I wish! Got to love that southerly wind. Wasn't quite such a giggle coming home this evening though...

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Don't race at all any more but was very much a road/track man before. Only did the occasional club 10 for training.

Why not get really geeky.... What have you done for a 10/25?

Nice one! What sort of track racing did you do? And what club did you ride with? For what it's worth, my PBs are 55'30 for 25 miles and 20'47 for 10, both on Sussex roads. Going to look at some of the faster Midlands/East Anglia dual carriageway courses next year, in a desperate attempt to shave off a few more seconds... I did a bit of road racing a couple of years ago and managed to fluke my 3rd cat, but a lack of bottle prompted a temporary cessation. However, a clubmate and very good friend has just switched clubs, so I'm going to try road racing again next season just for the opportunity to chase him down!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Nice one! What sort of track racing did you do? And what club did you ride with? For what it's worth, my PBs are 55'30 for 25 miles and 20'47 for 10, both on Sussex roads. Going to look at some of the faster Midlands/East Anglia dual carriageway courses next year, in a desperate attempt to shave off a few more seconds... I did a bit of road racing a couple of years ago and managed to fluke my 3rd cat, but a lack of bottle prompted a temporary cessation. However, a clubmate and very good friend has just switched clubs, so I'm going to try road racing again next season just for the opportunity to chase him down!

Some tidy times, particularly the 10 time - wouldn't be far off a 19 on a proper drag strip.

I did endurance track stuff - points, pursuit, team pursuit etc. I rode for Hemel Hempstead CC and then a, now defunct, team called 3Com RT as, despite being an albion fan, I grew up in Buckinghamshire.

If you're looking for a fast course, I hear the Hemel club have a newish course based on the A41 near Tring. It features a huge downhill from the start that you don't have to go back up!

Good luck with the return to the road, I hear that nowadays the cycling explosion has made 3rd cat, and even more so 4th cat, races quite hairy. Lot of people with the fitness but not the bike handling skills. If you go up the ranks a bit, it'll be a lot more rewarding.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Some tidy times, particularly the 10 time - wouldn't be far off a 19 on a proper drag strip.

I did endurance track stuff - points, pursuit, team pursuit etc. I rode for Hemel Hempstead CC and then a, now defunct, team called 3Com RT as, despite being an albion fan, I grew up in Buckinghamshire.

If you're looking for a fast course, I hear the Hemel club have a newish course based on the A41 near Tring. It features a huge downhill from the start that you don't have to go back up!

Good luck with the return to the road, I hear that nowadays the cycling explosion has made 3rd cat, and even more so 4th cat, races quite hairy. Lot of people with the fitness but not the bike handling skills. If you go up the ranks a bit, it'll be a lot more rewarding.

Thanks. I've come across that Tring course - a clubmate did a short 19 on it this year! They've just released details of next year's TTs in that region and there are several events on that course, including some pretty unusual times, eg Wednesday early afternoon. I'll definitely give one of them a go. I think a 19 is beyond me, but next season's ambitions are to go under 4hrs for a 100 and over 265 miles for a 12hr (current PBs 4h05 & 257). Sounds like you were a pretty serious racer? Did you ride Premier Calendars/Star Trophy races? As to by own more modest ambitions, I'd be very happy to pick up a point or two as a 3rd cat, but I don't think I have the raw goods or the time to go any higher. I'm turning 40 next year, so may give the vet races a go - can't wait to get my arse handed to me by a 70 year old!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not just any 70 year old.

A knarly old 70 something in tatty clothes and riding a bike made from pig iron.
But with thighs like solid mahogany.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm on this Bold. Can you PM your username and I'll start following you, cheers. I was hoping to beat my PB up Steyning Bostal tonight.....wasn't to be!

Ha ha, I wish! Got to love that southerly wind. Wasn't quite such a giggle coming home this evening though...

Fellow Stravians, how cool is the comparison feature? If youre looking at someone's segment and click compare, on the profile of the segment it will give you dots of where that person was, where you were and where the fastest person was throughout the profile. Really good, SS great time on Bostal, I took it really slow at the start then got within 14secs of you at the top. Very cool to see the pace illustrated like that.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks. I've come across that Tring course - a clubmate did a short 19 on it this year! They've just released details of next year's TTs in that region and there are several events on that course, including some pretty unusual times, eg Wednesday early afternoon. I'll definitely give one of them a go. I think a 19 is beyond me, but next season's ambitions are to go under 4hrs for a 100 and over 265 miles for a 12hr (current PBs 4h05 & 257). Sounds like you were a pretty serious racer? Did you ride Premier Calendars/Star Trophy races? As to by own more modest ambitions, I'd be very happy to pick up a point or two as a 3rd cat, but I don't think I have the raw goods or the time to go any higher. I'm turning 40 next year, so may give the vet races a go - can't wait to get my arse handed to me by a 70 year old!

I did do a bit of that, the rest of the thread got bored of me reliving past glories during the early season (see post #438)!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Under 4 hours for a 100?! I'm happy when I dip under 7. I cannot even begin to understand how you can keep up an average of 25mph for that long.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Under 4 hours for a 100?! I'm happy when I dip under 7. I cannot even begin to understand how you can keep up an average of 25mph for that long.
I'm still waiting to compose myself before I can comment. :lol:

Legendary stuff.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

That is crazy stuff... And massive respect to anyone doing a 12 hour. Absolute madness.

As for the bit about not having the raw goods, with those kind of times, you've definitely got the engine. Would need work on top end and jump (the renound downfall of the tester! - I've beaten the King of testers Dr Hutch from a break of 2 because of that).

If I'm not being too critical, I'd say the 25 time is the one that stands out as slightly below the standard of the rest. I think you could definitely do a 52 with the power needed for the other times.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If anyone has a bike repair stand they don't want, do let me know (for a fair used price) - I'm tired of propping my bike up, and I've spent most of my wedge on shoes, pedals, bibs, shirts, glasses, tyres, inner tubes, helmet, CO2 inflator, base layers, socks, .....etc......oh and the bike of course! :thumbsup:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I see Cav has just left Sky to go to Omega Pharma quick step

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] has posed a bike question for his wife.
We've got a little tied up with gear ratios, and what a 3 speed hub can cope with, verses an 8 speed hub.
Here's the maths, and I haven't got a scooby, so what the frick does this lot mean:-

• Overall Range - 177%
• Gear 1 - 75% (-)25%
• Gear 2 - 100% Direct Drive (Gear 1 + 33%)
• Gear 3 - 133% (+)33.3% (Gear 2 + 33%)

Verses

Gear Ratio Total Difference 3.07
Gear Ratio 1 0.527
Gear Ratio 2 0.644
Gear Ratio 3 0.748
Gear Ratio 4 0.851
Gear Ratio 5 1.0
Gear Ratio 6 1.223
Gear Ratio 7 1.419
Gear Ratio 8 1.615

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
If anyone has a bike repair stand they don't want, do let me know (for a fair used price) - I'm tired of propping my bike up, and I've spent most of my wedge on shoes, pedals, bibs, shirts, glasses, tyres, inner tubes, helmet, CO2 inflator, base layers, socks, .....etc......oh and the bike of course! :thumbsup:

There's one item on that list that jumps out!!! How are you going to build your winter guns without a battle with a mini-pump!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here