Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crofts has gone

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
How long now before Bennett and Elphick are sold as well? Why can we never hold on to our decent players and yet the likes of Hart (I'm an admirer but he was past his best several seasons ago) and Cox are here for what seems like an enternity? Having cocked up the Calderon issue and now sold the player of the season, Poyet has a lot to make up for before the new season begins. Let's hope he's up to the job. Without some significant investment in the squad (and before all the best players are signed up - not in August) we're not going to be anywhere near the top 6 next year.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
It's an interesting one isn't it?

Taking Crofts out of the team really frees Gus up to mould it however he likes. With Crofts in the centre as captain, he's regarded as the first name on the team sheet. Now however, Gus can really influence the whole team in who is playing in what formation. A long winded way of saying he truly has a blank slate to write on.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The plain fact of the matter is that Crofts got a better offer to play for much higher wages for a club that is much bigger than we are now. It wasn't long ago that he was discarded by what is now a League 2 club (Gillingham) so he would be silly not to take the leap.

As for Gus/Bloom, what good would it have done to deny Crofts the chance to move on?

Here are the reasons to be cheerful facts:-
1) We have 10% more to spend on wages next season, and that is after losing several very highly paid players.
2) Gus has said he wants cover in every single position on the pitch
3) Gus will be able to build his own team
4) Falmer is looking amazing, and will surely help
5) We have brought in several million pounds from advanced sales in Falmer hospitality boxes/premium seats
6) Gus is searching high and low for flair players, and will almost certainly sign a 4 year deal when he returns from South America

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is not anywhere near a disastrous move as we don't know who is lined up to replace him. Good player, closest we've had to replacing Hammond, but life goes on.

He obviously wanted to move on and again we have been a decent stepping stone. That will work in our favour when it comes to players deciding who to join.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It was always going to eb one of Crofts, Dicker and Navarro to go as we need more creativity in the middle. I wish him well but we move on .. convinced Gus knwos what he is doing.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
It is not anywhere near a disastrous move as we don't know who is lined up to replace him. Good player, closest we've had to replacing Hammond, but life goes on.

He obviously wanted to move on and again we have been a decent stepping stone. That will work in our favour when it comes to players deciding who to join.

Another good point. Players don't want to come here and dedicate their life to the club. They want to progress. If they feel that the club and Gus will allow them to do that then it will be more appealing for them.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Agree with that.I must be the only person who rates Crofts.300k isn't really alot and i would have kept him myself.

No it's just TCB sees this as a vindication of his original assessment of the player. TCB's making a lot of noise right now trying to make " Crofts is shite that's why we sold him" the board opinion so he can then say look at me I was right all along, when as has been comprehensively proved he knows the square root of f*** all

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Agree with that.I must be the only person who rates Crofts.300k isn't really alot and i would have kept him myself.

Jesus - do you people know nothing? He had ONE YEAR OF HIS CONTRACT LEFT! That's very good money. In 12 months he could have walked. We've cashed in and he's got a pay hike. Better to have kept him but we've made the best of it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Its good money for a league 1 player. He was Mr Consistency but have faith in Poyet that he can bring in better. If we can spend the money on a goal scoring midfielder we will be much better

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Jesus - do you people know nothing? He had ONE YEAR OF HIS CONTRACT LEFT! That's very good money. In 12 months he could have walked. We've cashed in and he's got a pay hike. Better to have kept him but we've made the best of it.

Me know nothing?

Crofts was playing for Wrexham a year ago ffs.We resurrected his career.Who is to say he would have just walked in 12 months time?
We haven't had a player like him since Hammond left.A player who works hard and scores his fair share of goals.300k won't get you much and that is the fee we spunked on Dickinson.Poyet really needs to get this right and i hope he does.I feel we have lost a cracking player for peanuts.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
We are just spectators in the circus that is Brighton & Hove Albion. The Ringmaster Gus Poyet will now bring on his next act in the show & show us why he has allowed this to happen, he has plans for us mere spectating mortals & his next act will make us all gasp. I hope!

In Gus & Tony we trust, cos we bloody have to!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here