Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crofts has gone

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Hard working and totally committed - that is what won Crofts 'Player of the Season' in a year when nobody really stood out. He did a good job for us but just look at the number of "gutted" reactions on this thread - hardly any. It is a decent bit of business for us, a nice profit in a season for a player who cost us nothing but deep down we all know he is no world-beater.

The deal makes sense for all concerned and I wish him all the very best at Norwich.

paulclark

Sep 7, 2008
doesnt seem we tried very hard to stop this

now we need a goalkeeper a striker who scores goals full back and a midfielder

i hope this isnt the same as the huddersfiield scenario when they were building a stadium nearly into the premiership sold there best player and dropped 2 divisions

good luck crofty

QUOTE=sir albion;3515501]May aswel sell bennett and look forward to league 2 :thumbsup:

Im finding this all very strange:shrug:[/QUOTE]

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Yep, wish crofty all the best. We couldn't have asked for anymore during his short time at the club. Will rightly be welcomed back anytime he plays against us. Now let's start bringing players in after we've had a look at them next month in the world cup :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Can't believe some people on this board. I liked Crofts but this is not the end of the world or a step backwards or showing a lack of ambition or Gus not caring. Andrew Crofts is a grafter and does the simple things well BUT some on hear are mistaking this for some kind of irreplaceable midfield god. I am totally confident that Gus either has someone lined up or is absolutely confident he can get a better player in. Some posters now starting to have a go at our manager (who salvaged our season and has us playing the best football I have seen at Albion for years) for going SCOUTING and picking up more experience in South America are nothing short of ridiculous. Good luck to Crofty I really hope he is succesful, players come and go and we WILL be pushing at the top of the division, it's may people chill out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I gues I should probably know this already, but how on earth did Gillingham manage to rate Crofts to low that they let him go on a free? Must be kicking themselves.

Oh, and Hessenthaler in charge there now. Reckon he'll do very well. Won't take no shit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the one hand I can see why he moved.

On the other hand, he was captain, we have an exciting manager in Poyet and a new ground just over a year away from completion. That's a lot to walk away from.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Whereas in reality I think he'll go a long way and its a mistake to have sold him. What Gus is doing pissing around in Uruguay whilst our captain is sold I just don't understand.

Gus has quite clearly set his stall out that if a player shows even the slightest bit of interest in another club, or the slightest bit of dissent, he's out. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it'll end up in a solid unit next year, I don't know. But sometimes players like their manager to fight to keep them, show them they're wanted. Perhaps some Gus magic like that would have kept Calderon and Crofts.

Sorry where have you got it from that Crofts wanted out? Norwich came in with a good bid we accepted and gave him permission to join. Don't recall Crofts ever demanding out or throwing a strop or pissing the club about.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

On the other hand, he was captain, we have an exciting manager in Poyet and a new ground just over a year away from completion. That's a lot to walk away from.
He's tripled his wages, he'll be playing in a higher league in a good, full stadium next season. It's a no brainer Pav.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Just read Crofty's comments on the official site and he clearly explains his reasons for going and says lots of nice things about the club, fans etc. A good player for us but not a great one in my opinion however he has conducted himself impeccably since being with us and shown that even though he's leaving he has done so in the correct manner and with good grace, take note Forster & Calderon and some others!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

If you think back to little over a year ago Crofts was on loan to a non league club not knowing where his carear was going, Now he's had the opportunity to sign a decent 3 year contract at a Championship club. Sometimes players have to take these opportunities when they come along because they never know whats around the corner.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Does anything think he'll actually get a look in there? Or are they just waiting to go back down?

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
hmmm, can't help thinking he's throwing away a potentially better opportunity with us, but then I am somewhat biased - seems to me it's all about the short term with players nowadays.

"I had a great year with the Albion and loved every minute of it. I had really settled in, but when a club like Norwich are interested in you and can offer you the stadium, the facilities and the fact they're in the Championship, it was just too good to miss."

We're going to have a rather nice stadium and possibly be in The Championship ourselves season after next, and as for "a club like Norwich", to me that actually shows a lack of ambition compared to the potential of The Albion....

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
hmmm, can't help thinking he's throwing away a potentially better opportunity with us, but then I am somewhat biased - seems to me it's all about the short term with players nowadays.

"I had a great year with the Albion and loved every minute of it. I had really settled in, but when a club like Norwich are interested in you and can offer you the stadium, the facilities and the fact they're in the Championship, it was just too good to miss."

We're going to have a rather nice stadium and possibly be in The Championship ourselves season after next, and as for "a club like Norwich", to me that actually shows a lack of ambition compared to the potential of The Albion....

Mmm, possibly being the operative word in that statement.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
300k's a great price, for a player that cost nothing, and we be free to sgn for another club for freeat the end of next season.

Don't let it worry you. If he was part of Gus' long term plans, he'd still be here. If he's not replaced by the start of August worry about it, but I'msure you'll have nothing to worry about come the start of the season:thumbsup:

I.m not really worried as I believe in Gus and he has said many times that he is not even close to having the squad that he wants. It's just that I though that Crofts would be one of the ones who would be staying for a good few years.

Oh well, in Gus we trust.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Crofts - what a wanker.

We rescue his dying career, make him Captain, and vote him player of the season.

He gets regular first team football under arguably one of the best young managers in the game, and he fucks off at the first sniff of an offer.

Worse still, he states as his first reason for going.... the Noriwch stadium.

Half-witted prick.

Good riddence knobhead, hope you tear a cruciate in pre-season.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Crofts - what a wanker.

We rescue his dying career, make him Captain, and vote him player of the season.

He gets regular first team football under arguably one of the best young managers in the game, and he fucks off at the first sniff of an offer.

Worse still, he states as his first reason for going.... the Noriwch stadium.

Half-witted prick.

Good riddence knobhead, hope you tear a cruciate in pre-season.

Good god I hope you are taking the piss, ridiculous is being kind to this post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here