Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crofts has gone

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm disapppointed that he is leaving but we have plenty of time to replace him.

I'm still more annoyed that we lost Calderon. Now there's a player that GP didn't want to lose!

trancing

On our way 2 falmer
Jul 23, 2009
Shoreham By Sea
im gutted to see crofts go but like most people are saying 300k you can get a very good player at league 1 football, we really need to get Hendrie signed now.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Why? Do you really think Gus and Poyet are sitting somewhere thinking that selling first-teamers and not replacing them is the way to go? Of course they're not. The fact we're letting established pros leave the club makes it clear to me we're going to be investing in some quality replacements. If we've barely signed anyone in July then panic, but Gus will have several proven signings and several unknown (to us) foreigners signed up by the time they go back for training. I'd bet on that.

Who are gus and poyet?

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Seems like anyone on decent money (Virgo, Forster, FDM) have been released and we are listening to offers for anyone who can play. Perhaps Bloom really has put all his spare cash into Falmer and there is nothing left! Interesting that the Crofts deal happened so quickly, while Gus was away. Gus signing his new contract in the next few days would be a good indication that he is happy with the situation and we have nothing to worry about.

Hopefully, we are not trying to scale the squad down too much and Gus now has plenty of spare capacity in the budget to get some quality replacements. As has been said elsewhere, the problem is getting the team to gel quickly if there are wholesale changes.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Why? Do you really think Gus and Poyet are sitting somewhere thinking that selling first-teamers and not replacing them is the way to go? Of course they're not. The fact we're letting established pros leave the club makes it clear to me we're going to be investing in some quality replacements. If we've barely signed anyone in July then panic, but Gus will have several proven signings and several unknown (to us) foreigners signed up by the time they go back for training. I'd bet on that.

I'll take your word for that:thumbsup:

I do have plenty of faith but to be frank all this excitement because we made 300k is strange.My opinion is that we need to spend a good million at least to challenge next season.Can't see many quality freebie's being around:wink:

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
May aswel sell bennett and look forward to league 2 :thumbsup:

Im finding this all very strange:shrug:

Do me a favour, Crofts is our 3rd best midfeilder IMO behind Bennet and Dicker, it's not a major blow. Anyway with 300k we can buy somebody much better than Crofts.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I totally agree with what your saying, I'm fully expecting us to be kicking off next season with a far stronger squad than we finished last season with.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Genuinely gutted to hear this. We looked cack without him in the side last season. Let's just hope Arismendi won't be his replacement on loan:nono:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Do me a favour, Crofts is our 3rd best midfeilder IMO behind Bennet and Dicker, it's not a major blow. Anyway with 300k we can buy somebody much better than Crofts.

So how come Crofts was player of the season and captain and Dicker was a bit part player towards the end of the season. I agree he has ability, but he is a bit slow and rarely dominates a game, just showing glimpses of his ability but not really getting involved.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
So how come Crofts was player of the season and captain and Dicker was a bit part player towards the end of the season. I agree he has ability, but he is a bit slow and rarely dominates a game, just showing glimpses of his ability but not really getting involved.

Agree with that.I must be the only person who rates Crofts.300k isn't really alot and i would have kept him myself.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
As I said in the pre-sale thread. Have fun watching next season pass you by.
Should never have got POTS in my opinion, and at best, second half league one player.
We're hopefully on to bigger and better things.
Good fee in my opion.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Agreed. Since Gus arrived I think it's noticeable that he will ALWAYS talk up players in public. Everyone is great in his opinion, at least in what he says to the press. However, the ruthless CULL of players suggests he doesn't really believe they are that good, along with the comment about if they have been here for a while they have proved they can't get us up so why keep them? So I wouldn't read too much into Gus's words about being sad to see Crofts go. Gus wants us to play football with proper footballers, and as a flair midfielder himself he will have noticed Crofts isn't one of those.

As I said in another thread tonight, who can you absolutely bank on a) being with us next season and b) playing the vast majority of the games? Painter is one, seeing as he's only just signed, and Elliott is another, but I would make a case for saying everyone else's place is under threat.

With a few exceptions none of the players are Gus' players, I'd imagine he'd be keen to build his own team, I Expect plenty of players will go over the summer.

In a promotion pushing team, Bennett is easily capable of scoring 15+ goals, he simply has to stay but if he is attracting attention from higher clubs, Bloom shouldn't let him leave for any less than a million, whether he's worth that much or not he's too valuable to us and would be hard to replace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here