Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cristiano Ronaldo - good work fella

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Man U fans always come out with that old chestnut about how they developed their team from youngsters over the years blah blah blah but it's bullshit. They just poached lots of promising young players from across the country with the lure of big money and fame.

Apart from Gary Neville how many of their first team are actually from Manchester?

Not to mention the exorbitant transfer fees they've paid out in the past. People just tend to forget these because a lot of big name players like Giggs, Beckham and the Neville's supposedly came up through the ranks, but they were still lured there by the club, just at an age when their value wasn't fully realised.

Don't kid yourselves Man United are innocent now that Chelsea are the big boys

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
beorhthelm said:
what a load of crap. some people have such short memories. yes, ManU did bring through some players themselves, but what about all the huge fees they paid out in the late 90's? wasn't Ferninand the most expensive player at one point?

ManU and Chelsea are cut from the same cloth.

Exactly. If you look at their line-up, you'll see a fair whack in transfer fees as well. (figures courtesy of Soccerbase)

Van Der Sar Free
Neville Youth
Ferdinand £30million
Vidic £7 million
Heinze £6.9 million

Ronaldo £12.24 million
Scholes Youth
Carrick £18.6 million
Giggs Youth

Saha £12.82 million
Rooney £20 million

Subs

Evra £5.5 million
Silvestre £4 million
Smith £7 million

That is a f*** of a lot of money in anyone's book.

I also hate this bullshit that you hear from Man United fans about Chelsea buying the title. United were the same as Chelsea are now ten years ago just on a lesser scale. Who the f*** other than Man Utd could afford to buy Andy Cole for £7 million in 94?

United fans are turning into everything they said other fans shouldn't be. Success haters.

Phew - rant over.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bluejuice said:

Apart from Gary Neville how many of their first team are actually from Manchester?

I loathe Manure with a passion but that's a trifle unfair. Scholes is from Manchester and Giggs, although born in Cardiff, moved there when he was 8.

Three local boys out of 11, there aren't many Prem clubs who could beat that.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Scholes is from Oldham and Neville is from Bury. That's not Manchester.

Fair play to Scholesy - he watches Oldham any available opportunity apparently.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
pasty said:
Personally, I couldn't give a toss either way about any club except Brighton. I enjoy watching the Premiership purely because I like watching some of the best players in the World play football. Very rarely do I have a preference for who wins.

Also, unlike many poeple, I always want a premiership club to win in Europe - no matter who they are, they are representing the English League, and I would rather they win than lose to a German/Spanish/French team.

As for the plastic fans of the big clubs, I just immerse myself in the smug moral superiority of supporting my local team as opposed to being a glory hunting trophy obsessed armchair fan that rarely knows anything about football.

Couldn’t agree more. I really enjoy watching Premiership football but unless I’ve spunked a handsome bet on the outcome, I really don’t care either way who wins. Europe, I’ll always follow an English team

The only team I am ambivalent to their success in Europe is Liverpool. That is probably due to the number of plastic fans who surrounded me during my childhood who are about as scouse as George Dubbya Bush. This is as well as the fact their fans caused us to banned from Europe for years on end but seem to think they have superiority when it comes to being whiter than white football followers. Oh and I hate THAT song.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Hannibal smith said:
Couldn’t agree more. I really enjoy watching Premiership football but unless I’ve spunked a handsome bet on the outcome, I really don’t care either way who wins. Europe, I’ll always follow an English team

The only team I am ambivalent to their success in Europe is Liverpool. That is probably due to the number of plastic fans who surrounded me during my childhood who are about as scouse as George Dubbya Bush. This is as well as the fact their fans caused us to banned from Europe for years on end but seem to think they have superiority when it comes to being whiter than white football followers. Oh and I hate THAT song.

That's my point. Whoever is succesful will be hated. FACT.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Yeah I have to say Rooney and Ferdinand would have gone to man Utd for a fiver wouldnt they?

No money, status loving stars at Man Utd at all!

:nono:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
More fun in marking the diving, Ronaldo or Robben could be a very close run thing, with whoever is at home being the winner.. and no I can't be arsed to look at where it's being played

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Common as Mook said:
Exactly. If you look at their line-up, you'll see a fair whack in transfer fees as well. (figures courtesy of Soccerbase)

Van Der Sar Free
Neville Youth
Ferdinand £30million
Vidic £7 million
Heinze £6.9 million

Ronaldo £12.24 million
Scholes Youth
Carrick £18.6 million
Giggs Youth

Saha £12.82 million
Rooney £20 million

Subs

Evra £5.5 million
Silvestre £4 million
Smith £7 million

That is a f*** of a lot of money in anyone's book.

I also hate this bullshit that you hear from Man United fans about Chelsea buying the title. United were the same as Chelsea are now ten years ago just on a lesser scale. Who the f*** other than Man Utd could afford to buy Andy Cole for £7 million in 94?

United fans are turning into everything they said other fans shouldn't be. Success haters.

Phew - rant over.

What he said!

Gets boring hearing this in Manchester

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Cheeky Monkey said:
Lay off United all you bitter and twisted people.

Having seen their arrogance towards the Albion on a number of occasions, first hand... No I won't :lol:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I reckon Man U should play chelsea in a winner take all one off game to decide the title this year, then we can all get on with following the Albion and not worry about clubs owned by Russian Billionaires or American Tycoons who could buy our club 1,000 times over with the kind of money they drop down the side of the couch and don't even bother looking for.

Am I bothered about who wins? I could'nt give a monkeys.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Having seen their arrogance towards the Albion on a number of occasions, first hand... No I won't :lol:

You've obviously never had first hand experience of THFC fans then, arrogance isn't an exclusive club so why single out Man U?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Common as Mook said:
That's my point. Whoever is succesful will be hated. FACT.

It’s not the success of Liverpool that gets me, more the superiority complex. Everyone used to bang on about the ‘Great Liverpool fans’

They were responsible for our banning in Europe. They had as many or if not worse followers than other clubs yet are not regarded in the same league as Leeds or Chelsea were in the 80’s for hollies. Whilst Hillsborough was a tragedy, don’t even think about attaching any blame to the fans otherwise the whole place goes ballistic. Add the number of plastics on top and I’ve always reserved a corner or dislike for Liverpool in my mind.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Cheeky Monkey said:
You've obviously never had first hand experience of THFC fans then, arrogance isn't an exclusive club so why single out Man U?

I hate their fans as well, and yes I have had 1st hand experience of being in with them when Robinson scored the goal at WHL that stopped them going top of the table, that was just plain scary... but fun :clap2:

To save you the trouble

Cardiff, Leeds, Chelsea also all fall into the same camp as fans who seem to think they have a divine right to win things

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hannibal smith said:
It’s not the success of Liverpool that gets me, more the superiority complex. Everyone used to bang on about the ‘Great Liverpool fans’

They were responsible for our banning in Europe. .

How could I have forgotten that :angry:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Hannibal smith said:

They were responsible for our banning in Europe. They had as many or if not worse followers than other clubs yet are not regarded in the same league as Leeds or Chelsea were in the 80’s for hollies. Whilst Hillsborough was a tragedy, don’t even think about attaching any blame to the fans otherwise the whole place goes ballistic. Add the number of plastics on top and I’ve always reserved a corner or dislike for Liverpool in my mind.

Some good points there, I think that Liverpool fans of yesteryear were as arrogant as the current bandwagon boys of Chelsea and Man U.

I don't agree with you view of the Heysel disaster, the Italian contingent were resposible for pelting the liverpool fans with bottles/bricks etc. prior to the charge that caused the poorly built wall to collapse, I remember that game vividly there was an Italian fan on the pitch firing a gun at the Liverpool fans, ask yourself what would you do? Just stand there and get bricked and shot at or do something in response?

The police were completely unprepared and the stadium was utterly disgraceful for a match of that size.

The ban on English clubs was as much to do with Thatcher as anyone else, and when you hear of other clubs involved in significant trouble with absolutely no action taken against them (Galatasaray, Milan,PSV,PSG,Madrid, to name only a few) it makes you wonder about the politics involved.

People forget that that wall could have fallen either way.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You CANNOT have a pop at the Bindippers ever. They are a chucklesome bunch who would not hurt a fly, their self deprecating humour is legend, the universe would be a far poorer place without Stan Boardman and his hilarious misuse of the word "Fokker". And that's before even mentioning The Beatles.

Heysel was the fault of Chelsea fans coming to Belgium for a rumble with Juve, Hillsboro had NOTHING to do with a few thousand Scallies trying to get into the Leppings Lane entrance without tickets, and is all down to South Yorkshire Constabulary. The death of James Bulger was solely due to a video nasty, and nothing to do with lazy parents not giving a shit about what their kids got up to when they spent half their life down the boozer.

Boris Johnson should be publicly flogged for suggesting that Merseyside is a 'Self Pity City'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here