Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Credit crunch is God's way of punishing Britain"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081191/The-credit-crunch-Gods-punishment-materialistic-ways-says-Bishop.html?ITO=1490

An Anglican bishop claims the credit crunch is God's way of punishing Britain for being too materialistic.
The Right Reverend Wallace Benn, the Bishop of Lewes, wrote in a church newsletter that Britain has become obsessed with cash and feared it had a 'stranglehold over our lives'.

The bishop went on to claim the credit crisis was caused by greed and short-term speculation and said the pursuit of cash was sinful.

In the November 2008 newsletter the bishop wrote: 'I believe that God ultimately has allowed this crisis for good.
'Our nation, like all the western nations, has become consumed with materialism. It has a stranglehold on our lives.
'We have found our security in "securities" and have failed to grasp that nothing is permanent other than God.
'Our confidence has been misplaced. Something was needed to shake that and that is what we are experiencing.
'If this shakes our confidence in mammon (money) and forces us back to our Creator and Redeemer it will have been worth it!'
The bishop went on to say that Christians should suffer but that God would help bring an end to sad and difficult situations.

Personally I would have thought a bit of good old fashioned SMITING would have had more effect.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Blackadder_II_-_Money.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Further proof (if proof were needed) that folk who dedicate their lives to religeon are a little bit ODD.
God gets the credit for EVERYTHING thats brilliant, like flowers and trees and kittens and dogs dressed up as Batman. But anything NASTY like famine or children dying in earthquakes and its all "oh, he moves in mysterious ways" etc.

:rolleyes:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081191/The-credit-crunch-Gods-punishment-materialistic-ways-says-Bishop.html?ITO=1490

An Anglican bishop claims the credit crunch is God's way of punishing Britain for being too materialistic.
The Right Reverend Wallace Benn, the Bishop of Lewes, wrote in a church newsletter that Britain has become obsessed with cash and feared it had a 'stranglehold over our lives'.

The bishop went on to claim the credit crisis was caused by greed and short-term speculation and said the pursuit of cash was sinful.

In the November 2008 newsletter the bishop wrote: 'I believe that God ultimately has allowed this crisis for good.
'Our nation, like all the western nations, has become consumed with materialism. It has a stranglehold on our lives.
'We have found our security in "securities" and have failed to grasp that nothing is permanent other than God.
'Our confidence has been misplaced. Something was needed to shake that and that is what we are experiencing.
'If this shakes our confidence in mammon (money) and forces us back to our Creator and Redeemer it will have been worth it!'
The bishop went on to say that Christians should suffer but that God would help bring an end to sad and difficult situations.

Personally I would have thought a bit of good old fashioned SMITING would have had more effect.
the last bishop of lewes enjoyed "smiting" young novice monks !! and was charged for it !!

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Hang about, if you actually look at what he says, there is some truth about it. Our obsession with house prices rising because it makes us "wealthier" is about garbage. It was never sustainable. A lot of people and companies gambled on the house prices continuing to rise knowing it was never sustainable.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Hang about, if you actually look at what he says, there is some truth about it. Our obsession with house prices rising because it makes us "wealthier" is about garbage. It was never sustainable. A lot of people and companies gambled on the house prices continuing to rise knowing it was never sustainable.

Indeed, to say its god way of punishing us is however, a bit bollocks really isn't it

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

I'm pleased that somebody pointed this out. Most people have been greedy over the last decade - living in a world of credit that was not sustainable. And we have been consumed by materialism...

I'm pleased that somebody pointed this out. Most people have been greedy over the last decade - living in a world of credit that was not sustainable. And we have been consumed by materialism...

Very true, but to jump on the bandwagon and pretend it is all the work of the creator of the universe just to teach us a lesson is pretty cheap and pathetic wouldn't you say?

:thumbsup: What a CROCK of SHIT religion is. God does not exist, Jesus was not his son. As those bus signs said, stop worrying about is and get on with your lives.

Saying something similar about Allah and Muhammed can get you executed in some countries - by the State. Please don't make such a post on here, it could result in a bomb at Withdean! (or maybe Eastbourne Borough)

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would hazard a guess that many members of his diocese are none too happy with The Bishop of Lewes, not the best way to encourage non believers. However it's not anywhere near as ridiculous as the religious lunatics in the US for blamed 911 on the sin in America.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Further proof (if proof were needed) that folk who dedicate their lives to religeon are a little bit ODD.
God gets the credit for EVERYTHING thats brilliant, like flowers and trees and kittens and dogs dressed up as Batman. But anything NASTY like famine or children dying in earthquakes and its all "oh, he moves in mysterious ways" etc.

:rolleyes:

once again - I wish people would not be so f***ing rude as to say 'folk who dedicate their lives to religion are ODD...my father is a Christian, a nice bloke and in no way f***ing ODD...

why make such pathetic sweeping statements?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here