Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Credit crunch is God's way of punishing Britain"

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Very true, but to jump on the bandwagon and pretend it is all the work of the creator of the universe just to teach us a lesson is pretty cheap and pathetic wouldn't you say?

once again, the words of 1 man amongst millions of believers....do you blame all the employees of Lehmans for it's demise or just the people at the top?

once again, the words of 1 man amongst millions of believers....do you blame all the employees of Lehmans for it's demise or just the people at the top?

Well, I haven't tarred all Christians with the same brush. But now that you bring it up, the man is a Bishop, so should be representative of the masses no? How elese did he get to be bishop? Are you suggesting that the big wigs of the Christian establishment are rogue nutters?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I think all this thread proves is that people are quite happy to interpret a newspaper's interpretation of something without knowing ALL that was said and the CONTEXT in which it was written. As usual, we just get the anti-religious bigots on here coming out with their ignorance and hatred.

I suspect that all the bishop is saying is that there is a lot that can be learned from this experience about the ultimate cost of greed. Sounds quite reasonable, given the circumstances. But without actually seeing the complete article, we won't know for sure.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm pleased that somebody pointed this out. Most people have been greedy over the last decade - living in a world of credit that was not sustainable. And we have been consumed by materialism...

Exactly, totally agree. And one doesn't have to be religious to think that really, shopping with money that you don't actually have shouldn't be as big a leisure activity as it is for so many people. It's actually a sad reflection: there's plenty else to do.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Well, I haven't tarred all Christians with the same brush. But now that you bring it up, the man is a Bishop, so should be representative of the masses no? How elese did he get to be bishop? Are you suggesting that the big wigs of the Christian establishment are rogue nutters?

So you should be judged by the words and behaviour of your MP? Hope you're not in Lewes. . .

Last edited:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

Some of them, YES

Lots of them, NO

but taking on board your SMITING comment, I take it you posted this to take the piss out of the Christian faith ?

Last edited:

So you should be judged by the words and behaviour of your MP? Hope your not in Lewes. . .

If my local MP acts like a total cock, I will be the first person to criticise him and vote against him. I would use intelect and reason to judge his words and actions. Would you act the same way toward a wayward Bishop? Or would you spring to his defence regardless, just because you share the same base faith?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As usual, we just get the anti-religious bigots on here coming out with their ignorance and hatred.
And normally rightly so - I'm one of them. But in this particular instance, highly unusually, I won't be found to be bashing the bishop.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
If my local MP acts like a total cock, I will be the first person to criticise him and vote against him. I would use intelect and reason to judge his words and actions. Would you act the same way toward a wayward Bishop? Or would you spring to his defence regardless, just because you share the same base faith?

but you may well have voted him in....so you have to take some of the blame? As you have pointed out before we are all partly acountable.

Were are people springing to his defence regardless? More like people are attacking him regardless ?

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Some of them, YES

Lots of them, NO

but taking on board your SMITING comment, I take it you posted this to take the piss out of the Christian faith ?

Hey, I think GOD might be messing around with your email server...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
If you remove the references to religion from this, and replace them with simple common sense, then I agree with him wholeheartedly:

A bloke claims the credit crunch is common sense's way of punishing Britain for being too materialistic.

The bloke wrote that Britain has become obsessed with cash and feared it had a 'stranglehold over our lives'.

The bloke went on to claim the credit crisis was caused by greed and short-term speculation and said the pursuit of cash was short-sighted idiocy.

In the November 2008 newsletter he wrote: 'I believe that common sense ultimately has allowed this crisis for good.

'Our nation, like all the western nations, has become consumed with materialism. It has a stranglehold on our lives.

'We have found our security in "securities" and have failed to grasp that nothing is permanent.

'Our confidence has been misplaced. Something was needed to shake that and that is what we are experiencing.

'If this shakes our confidence in money and forces us back to common f*cking sense it will have been worth it!'

but the consensus here appears to be that he has actually helped their cause by making valid points...

And I agreed, he does make valid points about society and our current ills. But surely it is our own greed and consumerism that has caused the credit crunch and recession, not god's intervention? How can you attribute this to the hand of god? And even if you accept that it is god's doing, then why isn't he feeding the starving, ending wars or curing the sick? Strange priorities he has.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here