Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crazy where family history can lead

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
I was researching the history of somebody that my friend 'knew' who died in 1872 (well, not knew, but had an impact on their life) mainly out of boredom. Until about 2 hours ago we knew absolutely nothing about this person that died apart from where she is buried. Now we know exactly where she lived (St Aubyns - Hove) and that soon after her death her father went and founded a school known as St Aubyns in Middlesex. It is crazy how powerful the internet is :eek:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did this a few years ago, on a wet Sunday. Signed up to the Moron's free trial thingy.

Tracing my Dad's family was pretty dull, all living in the same village, back x amount of hundreds of years.
But that didn't take away how fascinating it was to be looking at the census of the time and following the family member through from birth to death.

Camicus

Family oral history said we were all army back for 16 generations turns out we were all fish porters until 3 generations back.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have a family member who has been researching our family tree for a number of years. His mothers maiden name was Percy, and by the research he's done it turns out I am a 3rd cousin, 18 times removed, of King Richard III. Henry Percy, the 4th Earl of Northumberland was second cousin to Richard III, and through him direct lineage is tracable to our family.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have a family member who has been researching our family tree for a number of years. His mothers maiden name was Percy, and by the research he's done it turns out I am a 3rd cousin, 18 times removed, of King Richard III. Henry Percy, the 4th Earl of Northumberland was second cousin to Richard III, and through him direct lineage is tracable to our family.

percypercy.jpg

Well, someome had to

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Have member of family living in France, who is writing book about our family....our family includes Tony Bloom..ive never met him....
but originally, family comes from Odessa in the Ukraine....when she visited, she brought Russian documents for my gf to translate for her, and I held my great, great, great Grandfathers discharge papers from the Russian army just after the Crimean war....I grew up cheering on the redcoats!!...

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
One of my ancesters chucked the Spanish out of Boliva and had a region named after him and was mates of Simon Bolivar . He did it with the help of a 100 Irish mercenries also defeated the an Argentina invasion. Going to the who do you think you are show in London next week. They belive we all originate from Seven Tribes shit could be related to some scum? With the Internet it fantastic what you can find out, my advice even if you not interested now do talk to old relations and get as much information on the past because you will regrete it later.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Oh LORD, you just know someone will trump the lot of you

and here he is
Plantagenets coming out of my ear holes
all stemming from one of my fairly recent ancestors marrying an Arundel whose family built the castle along the road

what I would like to know is "where has all the money gone"
and if the Plantagenets come back whose with me

just to say that loads of the family were transported to Australia and also a good few were hung (one at Yate jail in Gloucester)

so not all good

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
and here he is
Plantagenets coming out of my ear holes
all stemming from one of my fairly recent ancestors marrying an Arundel whose family built the castle along the road

what I would like to know is "where has all the money gone"
and if the Plantagenets come back whose with me

just to say that loads of the family were transported to Australia and also a good few were hung (one at Yate jail in Gloucester)

so not all good

Nothing wrong with us Plantagenets, although I am a JCL, only related to the very last of them.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Family history is great, if only to make you feel a bit humbled by what your predecessors went through or achieved.

What gets me though is when people say "our family are Normans" or "we were all woodcutters" etc. Go back seven generations - just a couple of hundred years in some cases - and you have 126 grandparents to consider. Most of those people had never heard of each other and all lived different lives. Following the father's line, because of the family name, is a fascinating exercise but you only get a tiny strand of a much bigger and more varied picture.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nothing wrong with us Plantagenets, although I am a JCL, only related to the very last of them.

get the banners and flags ready then
someone quoted as saying on the Richard the 3rd thread that the Plantagenets were murdering bastards but were preferred to the namby-panby Germans we have at the moment

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My Dad had a phone call about 15 years ago, from his brother he never knew he had (for 60 years) following his brother looking into his family history.

I now know that my relatives in Kent were chief suppliers of ferrets for the WW1 trenches and made a fortune from it, unfortunately it was all left to a maid about 80 years ago :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here