Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crazy where family history can lead

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Ancestry is very good and on the being secure about what you might have found my tip is when you get a tip from them (the little green leaf) try and find a family that you can trust to be right normally they have studied this well and it saves you the trouble of finding out yourself also if you find a family with the same name as yours then it might be an idea to contact them as they will or might be looking for the same people you are and even if they are not then they might have stumbled on then or might do in the future.

be prepared to use up lots of time though

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Next week who do you think you are show is on at Olympia Fri to sun good place to start do check before you go. They are doing a bit on DNA. If you would like to start tracing your family history you will learn how to get started however once you start it can take over all your spare time. Good hunting

Ancestry is very good and on the being secure about what you might have found my tip is when you get a tip from them (the little green leaf) try and find a family that you can trust to be right normally they have studied this well and it saves you the trouble of finding out yourself also if you find a family with the same name as yours then it might be an idea to contact them as they will or might be looking for the same people you are and even if they are not then they might have stumbled on then or might do in the future.

be prepared to use up lots of time though
Beware of assuming that a shared surname automatically means a genealogical link. One of my great great grandparents was called Pease and her family came from County Durham (and, before that, rural North Yorkshire). I got very distracted in my researches when I discovered that there was a very important Quaker family from the same area who had been bankers. They funded the construction of the Stockton and Darlington railway and even have a Wikipedia entry ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pease_family ). The family bank was eventually bought by Lloyds.

Wow! Fame and fortune in the family? Alas. No. After a bit more research I discovered that my Pease ancestors were, in fact, Catholic tenant farmers from the Danby Wiske area of North Yorkshire - but, in their own way, just as interesting as the Quaker capitalists. There is a complete set of Roman Catholic registers available online that documents the activities of a whole community of Catholic familes in the pre-emancipation era. And there are some wonderful entries to read. One of my favourites is the marriage record of my great great great great grandfather's sister - "1780 June 14. Mary Pease foolishly married a Protestant". Her husband's name isn't even mentioned. I also enoyed this entry from a Pease family will:- "I give unto my Daughter Elizabeth Mudd of Middleham Widow the Sum of Fifty Pounds but my Will and mind is if the said Elizabeth Mudd Marry with Archibel MaColl Cordwainer in Middleham then my desire is that she shall have only One Guinea". That Archibel was obviously a wrong 'un.

This is one of the pleasures of family history research - not just the compilation of lists of direct ancestors, but the random discovery of little bits of local history in parts of the country that you've not previously known you had any connection with.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Beware of automatically assuming that a shared surname automatically means a genealogical link. One of my great great grandparents was called Pease and her family came from County Durham (and, before that, rural North Yorkshire). I got very distracted in my researches when I discovered that there was a very important Quaker family from the same area who had been bankers. They funded the construction of the Stockton and Darlington railway and even have a Wikipedia entry ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pease_family ). The family bank was eventually bought by Lloyds.

Wow! Fame and fortune in the family? Alas. No. After a bit more research I discovered that my Pease ancestors were, in fact, Catholic tenant farmers from the Danby Wiske area of North Yorkshire - but, in their own way, just as interesting as the Quaker capitalists. There is a complete set of Roman Catholic registers available online that documents the activities of a whole community of Catholic familes in the pre-emancipation era. And there are some wonderful entries to read. One of my favourites is the marriage record of my great great great great grandfather's sister - "1780 June 14. Mary Pease foolishly married a Protestant". Her husband's name isn't even mentioned. I also enoyed this entry from a Pease family will:- "I give unto my Daughter Elizabeth Mudd of Middleham Widow the Sum of Fifty Pounds but my Will and mind is if the said Elizabeth Mudd Marry with Archibel MaColl Cordwainer in Middleham then my desire is that she shall have only One Guinea". That Archibel was obviously a wrong 'un.

This is one of the pleasures of family history research - not just the compilation of lists of direct ancestors, but the random discovery of little bits of local history in parts of the country that you've not previously known you had any connection with.

I have found great enjoyment finding some of my more recent family one of my female relatives wrote a fantastic piece about her Dad who after falling of his tightrope in the Circus(and injuring himself badly) and went on to own several shops in Cheltenham.
and interestingly he courted her mother on Cleeve hill ............incidentally is where I used to go courting while I lived there

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
One of my great-grandfathers walked away from one of Her Majesty's cruisers in Halifax harbour, later hopping a freight car down to Boston. There's no paperwork on him ever attracting official notice on entering the US.

I'm not sure there was such a thing as an illegal immigrant -- or an asylum seeker, he was Irish -- in those days, but if there were, we're descended from them.

A few years ago my father went through the process of getting a photocopy of the log entry recording his desertion from the Royal Navy via a bod at the Imperial War College, if I get the story right. Anyhow, it's now a family treasurer.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Research your family history today | Online Genealogy | Findmypast.co.uk
GENUKI: UK Ireland Genealogy
Welcome to Cyndi's List
http://www.genealogics.org/index.php

Radulf De Pomerei was from La Pommeraye in Calvados near Falaise. His brother was William Capra and his sister was called Beatrice. He died before 1100 and was succeeded by his son, William, who died childless about 1114, and then by his other son, Jocelyn, who died before 1129. (See: The House of De La Pomeroi by E. B. Powley published in Liverpool in 1944.)

Thanks Hovagirl I have that book and my grandfather is in it. will check the other links

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here