Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crazy where family history can lead

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is very interesting a distant cousin decided to trace the history of my Dads family starting with the youngest grandchild which was Mini Hut and traced him back to Oliver Cromwell no less.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh LORD, you just know someone will trump the lot of you
I'm sorry that it's me.

I am a direct descendent of the first tribe to leave Africa and begin colonising the entire world :afro:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am a 3rd cousin, 18 times removed, of King Richard III. Henry Percy, the 4th Earl of Northumberland was second cousin to Richard III, and through him direct lineage is tracable to our family.
That sounds cool. But if your direct ancestor was 2nd cousin, you are Richard's 2nd cousin 18 times removed.

Plantagenets coming out of my ear holes
Sounds good, what are the details?

It is very interesting a distant cousin decided to trace the history of my Dads family starting with the youngest grandchild which was Mini Hut and traced him back to Oliver Cromwell no less.
Are you a direct descendant of him?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Oh LORD, you just know someone will trump the lot of you

Well, that would be me. I've been studying my family history for the past 35 years and I'm related to everybody. But I'm not going to boast about it here!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

On Christmas Day my wife traced me back to the Marquis of Granby. Bloody annoying as I was just about to order a third pint!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Sounds good, what are the details?

right from William the Conqueror through to to the end of the Plantagenets , once you get into the royals its difficult to get out of them and through the marriages of some of the early Normans it runs into the Saxons as well and the whole lot of them intermarried even into the Welsh and Scots royals.
and I am now studying the Huns who intermarried with what were the Vikings and their royals

all very interesting ......but I still find the study of my mums family just as interesting and they never moved from the Forest of Dean area for 500 years

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Well, that would be me. I've been studying my family history for the past 35 years and I'm related to everybody. But I'm not going to boast about it here!

I would imagine that everyone is related to someone famous to some degree .............but as you know its bothering to find out.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My grandfather who was a priest traced his side of the family tree back to 1066 when Ralph de la Pomerai (Knight) came over with William the Conqueror and was awarded 57 manors in Somerset and Devon including the main seat at Berry Pomeroy and some intresting bits reading through the book including William of Orange. As with most people we can all make famous connections and as with most people our predecessors pissed any wealth away. Very intresting I have only just started to be intrested in it and may try and find out the other side of the family, Which came over from Germany & changed there name from schnorber to Shaw before the 1st world war and my uncle fought in Africa against the Germans and won a St Georges cross.

There is so much to think about, if I take Ralph de la Pomerai who was a Norman then there is a strong chance he is from Viking stock as the vikings settled in that part of France, so many directions one can go.

Ps anyone recommend a good website to do further tracing and how far back can one realistically go ?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
My grandfather who was a priest traced his side of the family tree back to 1066 when Ralph de la Pomerai (Knight) came over with William the Conqueror and was awarded 57 manors in Somerset and Devon including the main seat at Berry Pomeroy and some intresting bits reading through the book including William of Orange. As with most people we can all make famous connections and as with most people our predecessors pissed any wealth away. Very intresting I have only just started to be intrested in it and may try and find out the other side of the family, Which came over from Germany & changed there name from schnorber to Shaw before the 1st world war and my uncle fought in Africa against the Germans and won a St Georges cross.

There is so much to think about, if I take Ralph de la Pomerai who was a Norman then there is a strong chance he is from Viking stock as the vikings settled in that part of France, so many directions one can go.

Ps anyone recommend a good website to do further tracing and how far back can one realistically go ?

try ANCESTRY but beware the yanks on there they do trace the history very well but will insist on putting odd stuff in like someone who was born in 1232 was born in Dallas Texas.
+ go back into the knights history he may well have come from viking royalty.
how far can you go back well I have managed to go back to before 500 BC but some of the links are very dubious/ stringy but nevertheless interesting

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
try ANCESTRY but beware the yanks on there they do trace the history very well but will insist on putting odd stuff in like someone who was born in 1232 was born in Dallas Texas.
+ go back into the knights history he may well have come from viking royalty.
how far can you go back well I have managed to go back to before 500 BC but some of the links are very dubious/ stringy but nevertheless interesting

Thanks for that Mr Glasfryn, will try that Ralph de la Pomerai was from Saint Sauveur de la Pommeraye, La Manche, Normandy, France. So I would think they were land owners in Normandy and of some standing before coming over.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That sounds cool. But if your direct ancestor was 2nd cousin, you are Richard's 2nd cousin 18 times removed.

It might be that you understand these things better than me, here is the tree section right at the top, it then runs straight down over 3 more pages till it gets to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 40

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It might be that you understand these things better than me
You're in trouble if I do, I had to look it up after reading your post. Seems pretty straightforward though: Re: What does "x cousin x times removed" mean? - Genealogy Help - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.co.uk

King Richard III appears to be your 3rd cousin, x times removed. Henry Percy doesn't appear to be second cousin to Richard III (as your first post said) - I'd call that great great uncle.

Whatever it's called though, it's cool, Your Highness.

- - - Updated - - -

It might be that you understand these things better than me
You're in trouble if I do, I had to look it up after reading your post. Seems pretty straightforward though: http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/topics.researchresources.genealogy-20-help/4399.1/mb.ashx

King Richard III appears to be your 3rd cousin, x times removed. Henry Percy doesn't appear to be second cousin to Richard III (as your first post said) - I'd call that great great uncle.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You're in trouble if I do, I had to look it up after reading your post. Seems pretty straightforward though: Re: What does "x cousin x times removed" mean? - Genealogy Help - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.co.uk

I think I understand it now. OK, so where do I get my crown and ermine? :jester::jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here