Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crazy where family history can lead

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Family oral history said we were all army back for 16 generations turns out we were all fish porters until 3 generations back.

Pikemen then...surely...or we're they in the Coldstream?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Grandfather wounded at the second battle of the Somme and died 10 days before the Armistice
Wife's great great grandfather was last Highwayman (Jack) to be hung at Lewes....

Family history is great, if only to make you feel a bit humbled by what your predecessors went through or achieved.

What gets me though is when people say "our family are Normans" or "we were all woodcutters" etc. Go back seven generations - just a couple of hundred years in some cases - and you have 126 grandparents to consider. Most of those people had never heard of each other and all lived different lives. Following the father's line, because of the family name, is a fascinating exercise but you only get a tiny strand of a much bigger and more varied picture.
And go back to the time of the Plantagenets, and you have several million direct ancestors. It would be surprising if you WEREN'T descended from a Plantagenet AND a Norman AND a Celtic prince AND a Roman soldier AND a bloke whose cousin knew the Pope.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
My Mum started researching our family history recently. My Granddad was originally from the East End but was evacuated during the war and eventually adopted by the family he stayed with. Turns out his biological father was rather chummy with Oswald Mosley. That's him in the photo, to Mosley's right (ironically enough). Not something to be particularly proud of, but interesting nonetheless!

PfascistsP.jpg

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We lead pretty boring life's compared to our ancestors the previous thread was intresting as many young pepole were part of the Brown shirts, which was a dangerous political party of its time. I recommend researching familey trees you will all find intresting things about you past, good and bad.

My Mum started researching our family history recently. My Granddad was originally from the East End but was evacuated during the war and eventually adopted by the family he stayed with. Turns out his biological father was rather chummy with Oswald Mosley. That's him in the photo, to Mosley's right (ironically enough). Not something to be particularly proud of, but interesting nonetheless!

View attachment 39580
If you are going to get yourself adopted, it might be some consolation to discover that you've escaped the clutches of a fascist thug.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

View attachment 39580

crikey thats an interesting photo

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
If you are going to get yourself adopted, it might be some consolation to discover that you've escaped the clutches of a fascist thug.

My thoughts exactly!

My Granddad had no idea until recently but remembers visits from a 'well spoken aristocratic man' to the family home when he was a child which must have been Mosley.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
And go back to the time of the Plantagenets, and you have several million direct ancestors. It would be surprising if you WEREN'T descended from a Plantagenet AND a Norman AND a Celtic prince AND a Roman soldier AND a bloke whose cousin knew the Pope.

That only works if you can actually trace back that far, a bastard will soon scupper that (says the descendant of a bastard)!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
We lead pretty boring life's compared to our ancestors the previous thread was intresting as many young pepole were part of the Brown shirts, which was a dangerous political party of its time. I recommend researching familey trees you will all find intresting things about you past, good and bad.

I think his relative was one of moseleys blackshirts rather than one of Hitlers brownshirts.

They're all nazi twats anyway I suppose. But colour was very important to them.

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove

Might even find your ancestors were throwing Irish farmers off their land and stealing it?:hilton:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Thats unfortunate. Will you visit him when he goes down?

Probably not. Lost my licence. My girlfriend was locked in the bathroom sobbing when I needed someone to take the points. Haven't spoken to her since.She's very clear just how much she let me down though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here