Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail Smith, You are the weakest link.... Goodbye

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Genuine question Simster, do you think overall this season his performances have been good / better etc than last season? I really think he's been good this season on the whole, although did have a stinker last night.
Similar. Scores some top drawer goals that none of our other strikers are capable of, but I wouldn't trust him to put away the most simple of chances we create. Take Charlton - lovely finish for his goal, but what about the miss from 4 yards?

But please do remember where we are at with him right now before bouncing some thread called "Team CMS" or whatever, next time he scores a 25 yard overhead kick. Although he's probably our best striker, he has still underperformed woefully.

p.stromso

Dec 17, 2012
London
I think everyone would admit that the performance wasn't up to scratch, or anywhere near it. I heard Holloway is interested down at QPR. Still he's got a fair amount of goals for us this season, but I'd let him go if a decent bid comes in.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I can't be bothered to trawl 10 pages of 'CMS bashing' but am wondering if the point that he won us the pen last night has been made?

The defender only had time to foul him cause he was trying to untangle his feet for a shot. Had he managed to hit it first time there would have been no foul.

Probably best then that CMS did have his feet in a tangle as he probably would have missed the first time shot anyway:wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot of people on both side of the argument are accidentally proving a point.

Everyone is focussing on him missing the one chance a yard out.

Why?

Because it was his ONLY chance.

Once again, he didn't play well last night, but including Gus and excluding KLL, who did?

If, week in week out, we played with the team and formation of Saturday and he consistently missed the chances that were offered up to Hoskins and himself, then there'd be no arguing from me.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Lucky he did get brought down otherwise he probably would have fallen over his own feet trying to take the shot.

Was it Barnes who had the first air shot before the ball got to CMS? Couldn't quite see.

No was the resulting in Barnes miss shooting again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A lot of people on both side of the argument are accidentally proving a point.

Everyone is focussing on him missing the one chance a yard out.

Why?

Because it was his ONLY chance.

Once again, he didn't play well last night, but including Gus and excluding KLL, who did?

If, week in week out, we played with the team and formation of Saturday and he consistently missed the chances that were offered up to Hoskins and himself, then there'd be no arguing from me.
Er, no it wasn't.

The one yard out chance and the header standing on the goal line are the two proper chances you'd expect him to take one of.

Edit: he also conceded the second goal by miscontrolling the ball from the throw-in like a child might have done.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Similar. Scores some top drawer goals that none of our other strikers are capable of, but I wouldn't trust him to put away the most simple of chances we create. Take Charlton - lovely finish for his goal, but what about the miss from 4 yards?

But please do remember where we are at with him right now before bouncing some thread called "Team CMS" or whatever, next time he scores a 25 yard overhead kick. Although he's probably our best striker, he has still underperformed woefully.

I don't think i've ever bumped that threadand it's a bit of fun but i do think he's been a lot better this yr as he was start of last yr. I don't feel he's 'underperformed woefully' either. I think people expect too much. Where we are right now with him is a work in progress yes but also a striker we will have to battle to keep at our club in Jan as he's getting interest from better teams - My opinion.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Er, no it wasn't.

The one yard out chance and the header standing on the goal line are the two proper chances you'd expect him to take one of.

I genuinly can't recall him missing a header on the goal line?!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Where we are right now with him is a work in progress yes but also a striker we will have to battle to keep at our club in Jan as he's getting interest from better teams - My opinion.

If there is serious interest, then assuming the figures make sense, I doubt we'll do much 'battling' to keep him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Er, no it wasn't.

Edit: he also conceded the second goal by miscontrolling the ball from the throw-in like a child might have done.

I genuinly can't recall him missing a header on the goal line?!
Me neither.
I guess I could have been exact by saying 'the first half'.
From my position in the low down in North East some of the second half scrambles are tough to call.

As for his mistake for the second goal, no arguing from me on that.
I do feel the need to question why, in a team full of centre midfielders and centre backs, CMS was even close to the ball on the edge of our area?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As for his mistake for the second goal, no arguing from me on that.
I do feel the need to question why, in a team full of centre midfielders and centre backs, CMS was even close to the ball on the edge of our area?

There is no need to question that though, because its a pointless question. He WAS there, he DID midcontrol it, and Wood DID smash it in the top corner.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It depends on whether we have an adequate replacement lined up. It's no good selling him and bringing in Billy Paynter again.

This is one of the points that CMS bashers seem to think. Loads of people (idiots) saying 'Sell CMS Jan' etc. Do they not realise we've been trying to bring the RIGHT striker in for over a yr?! Even if you don't rate CMS surely it's common sense to only sell to make funds / be 100% certain to replace with 'better'. I think we're so short in the striking department that we should keep CMS and bring in another - the funds must be there as we've spend F all bar Crofts.

They're v hard to find these strikers who will bang in goals consistantly and play well a lot etc and not ask to be paid shit loads...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If there is serious interest, then assuming the figures make sense, I doubt we'll do much 'battling' to keep him.

Let's be honest, without knowing salaries / what's available for your money / likely transfer fees etc etc it's very hard for supporters to judge these things. You don't rate CMs either then?

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
We need to get rid, the bloke is just terrible, not just for giving away the goal, he is just simply not good enough.

My take is this. He has had 1 & 1/2 seasons with us now and not cut it in front of goal end of. He was bought to score goals he hasn't really done this. Secondly his one and two touch game is seriously weak and he has lack of presence up there on his own but his general running off the ball is very poor. BUT imho I don't think Gus has utilised CMS properly at all. Im not going to insult you with what is required but on whole he has not delivered what we expected when he joined, very disappointing. If we get an offer from Norwich for £1.5+ I would rip there arm off and invest in another player ASAP

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is one of the points that CMS bashers seem to think. Loads of people (idiots) saying 'Sell CMS Jan' etc. Do they not realise we've been trying to bring the RIGHT striker in for over a yr?! Even if you don't rate CMS surely it's common sense to only sell to make funds / be 100% certain to replace with 'better'. I think we're so short in the striking department that we should keep CMS and bring in another - the funds must be there as we've spend F all bar Crofts.

Obviously we wouldn't be replacing CMS with Paynter, etc would we. We'd be replacing him with another striker in the £3m bracket. Its pretty unlikely that whoever that was, they'd suit our game LESS than CMS. I for one, am happy to take that gamble.

Not that I won't miss his smiley face, and 100% effort. I hope he does really well at his next club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is no need to question that though, because its a pointless question. He WAS there, he DID midcontrol it, and Wood DID smash it in the top corner.
As said no arguing from me, t'was proper sh*te.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Let's be honest, without knowing salaries / what's available for your money / likely transfer fees etc etc it's very hard for supporters to judge these things. You don't rate CMs either then?

I really LIKE him, but no, I simply don't think he is effective enough in our side. Firmly in the 'lets move on' camp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here