Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail Smith, You are the weakest link.... Goodbye

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
really? I mean REALLY? TWENTY FIVE?

Look at the strikers who can finish in the division. They have 20. CMS has had WAY more chances than they have. But don't let the facts get in the way of blind loyalty.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
When we play as we did last night, and for much of last season, what is required from a BHA centre forward?

- He's not going to get any wing help.
- He has no other front man.
- There's no marauding 'box to box' midfielder.
- Nobody close enough to pass too.
- Or receive a pass from.

CMS was poor last night.
The whole team, with the exception of KLL, was poor last night.
The team selection was poor last night.

I don't imagine any centre forward (with the obvious exception of Murray) would have faired any better.

Give CMS the tools to screw up his job, then berate him for screwing up his job, but not after last night.

This is McSmudgers 2nd season of being useless for us how long do you want to give him,last season i mentioned on here that he would never fit in to this team and got berated,last season the excuse was poor service indicating the rest of the team were shit,what is the excuse this season . Barndoor McSmudger must be got rid of now .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't get the point you're making.

If they are to suggest 'he cant even score from 1 yard', then how did he score his others? Including his excellent finish at Charlton, or his overhead kick, or his 25 yard screamer?

Players occasionally miss chances. I saw Thierry Henry miskick it from 3 yards once.

As I said on another thread, CMS is capable of some top drawer finishes, such as the ones you mention or that great equaliser at Wolves. However, I wouldn't trust him to put away the SIMPLEST of chances. All three of our other strikers are more trustworthy.

And in case you hadn't noticed, this isn't basketball. These f***ing tap-ins and one-on-ones that he misses every single game are worth the same number of points (goals) as the 3 worldies that he scores every season. Tooting is right and you are wrong. Murray would have scored approaching 25 for us this season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That chance from '1 yard' out, was difficult. The ball was quick, and at an awkward height. Not was easy as it seemed.

I accept this, but a £3m striker should be putting away one if not two of those three presentable chances I'm afraid. CMS needs 8 or 9 before one goes in.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Tooting is right and you are wrong. Murray would have scored approaching 25 for us this season.

I would love to know the equation you used for this factual statement.

Liverpool signed the most accurate crosser in the prem based on stats (downing) and signed the most accurate header of the ball based on stats(andy carroll). On paper that should work. It didn't.

You can't just suggest a player who scored 20 for one team would have DEFINITELY scored the same for us. Thats ridiculous.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its ALL about first touch. The way we play, players tend not to recieve the ball in loads of space (CMS was always recieving the ball last night with Shittu right on his back). If your first touch is lacking, then your next is always played under pressure - leading to hurried passes going astray, or snatched shots sailing over the bar.

CMS was by no means the only one guilty of this last night - it was pretty much endemic - but he's the biggest culprit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would love to know the equation you used for this factual statement.

Liverpool signed the most accurate crosser in the prem based on stats (downing) and signed the most accurate header of the ball based on stats(andy carroll). On paper that should work. It didn't.

You can't just suggest a player who scored 20 for one team would have DEFINITELY scored the same for us. Thats ridiculous.
No more ridiculous than your tiresome oft-used defence which is to pop good old caps lock on without offering a coherent reason why you disagree.

Ok, we can debate how many might have scored in this team. But he would definitely have scored a lot more than our labrador, for absolute certain.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Its ALL about first touch. The way we play, players tend not to recieve the ball in loads of space (CMS was always recieving the ball last night with Shittu right on his back). If your first touch is lacking, then your next is always played under pressure - leading to hurried passes going astray, or snatched shots sailing over the bar.

CMS was by no means the only one guilty of this last night - it was pretty much endemic - but he's the biggest culprit.

If there is a nail, it has just been hit on the head.

All of that.

The ginger one speaks sense.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
He's average at this level, poor first touch and not clinical. If we had paid around £250-500k I would not be so pissed off but £3m is a joke, I would rather play Kaz up front.

At least two of his goals he new nothing about, both bounced off his arse on the line which were going in anyway and would have been Barnes goals.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
But he would definitely have scored a lot more than our labrador, for absolute certain.

Ok, stepping away from the petty arguing, I genuinely can't subscribe to this.

Murray would not have been in the exact location of CMS when the chances were missed. It's basically the Chaos Theory.

It's just not possible to suggest that replacing one player with another would have meant x amount of more goals are scored.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ok, stepping away from the petty arguing, I genuinely can't subscribe to this.

Murray would not have been in the exact location of CMS when the chances were missed. It's basically the Chaos Theory.

It's just not possible to suggest that replacing one player with another would have meant x amount of more goals are scored.
Well that is true I suppose, but I still maintain we'd look more threatening with Murray in the side than with CMS. I have to say, [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] has nailed the real problem here. His biggest problem isn't the number of goals he's scored, it's his inability to control the ball first touch with his back to goal. We have argued about what his goal ratio should be in this team for £3m, but surely we have to agree that his first touch is nowhere near the required level?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Won a penalty and has a 1 in 2 goal ratio this season.

Not that facts matter.

Here another few facts

He has a terrible first touch

He needs 10 chances to score 1 goal

He wastes far too much energy running around like a headless chicken

He does not have a footballing brain

He is the highest earner at the club

On the plus side, he has a nice smile and always waves to the crowd. Oh yeh, and he always retweets :)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The first touch one is.

I remember his first touch against leeds where he controlled the ball and piroutted past 2 defenders in one movement.

That was an excellent first touch, thus dismissing the 'factual' statement that he doesn't have a first touch...

But of course, I don't want to be picky....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here