Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail Smith, You are the weakest link.... Goodbye

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
If CMS leaves then that frees up a lot of wages and a fee. There are plenty of more instinctive natural strikers available. Digressing, if CMS had taken the penalty last night he would have missed it, for sure.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
But when we are bad we clearly don't play to his strengths or any other strikers, for that matter.

Things turn to plops for CMS for one reason that being he gets left marooned.

Nobody from centre midfield within 20 yards.
No attacking threat down the left.

So when Buckley is contained (where are the 'Buckley is shite threads?') the centre halves have only 1 job, mark CMS.

If you put 2 holes in the side and floor of my garden shed and 1 in the roof, Danny I-shitu-not could wear it, and he was the smaller of the two.

(Bear with me) If we had Drogba we still wouldn't score because, there's no Frank Lampard, not to mention there wingers and full backs, opposition defences have nobody else to play so playing CMS is easy.

I don't agree that centre backs find it easy to play CMS. He still gets through. My point is that when he has worked a clear cut opportunity, he misses too many of them. If he is not getting the opportunities, then I would agree that we are not playing to his strengths, but he is. It feels like he gets at least one golden opportunity per game. A top striker only needs one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't agree that centre backs find it easy to play CMS. He still gets through. My point is that when he has worked a clear cut opportunity, he misses too many of them. If he is not getting the opportunities, then I would agree that we are not playing to his strengths, but he is. It feels like he gets at least one golden opportunity per game. A top striker only needs one.
As said it's tough being Team CMS today.

To me it feels like he only gets at least one golden opportunity per game no striker is a 100% from chances.
I'd hazard a guess that percentage, over 90 mins, is quite low, even for the very best.

Just all the more magnified for CMS, because the next chance isn't coming 10 mins later.

All of which doesn't make his 1 yard miss, any more acceptable.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
funny thou he was on fire at the begaining of the season and quotes of we don't need a striker and was not for sale.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
A new forward does not need to be a 20+ goal a season guy like some have mentioned.

We need somebody to allow our other attacking players to score as well as chipping in with 15 or so.

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
Agreed. The thing is.... its bullshit. The idea is supposedly that Macca's strength is from through balls but he is DREADFUL in one-on-ones. All his goals come from first-time snapshots. His conversion ratio of chances to goal is about 1 in 8 at the moment. Nowhere near good enough.

so he has had 80 shots? according to the stats in the program murray has had 46 shots and is bottom of the top shots on goal, eagles being top with 100 shots on goal. i'd guess CMS has had 40 shots or under so more like 1 in 4 shot ratio (the same as austin 77 shots to 18 goals)

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Can't wait for the " was letting CMS go the biggest mistake in football" follow up to this thread. That I really can't be bothered to read past the first three posts.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I love the way we play, e.g the possession/passing game.

And I think (GUESSING) that maybe CMS style would work if we did play it at a faster tempo. But as pointed out by a Swansea fan on another thread we are still developing and it will be a while before we are super slick passing stylistics.

So for that reason I'm OUT (of team CMS, although I was never really a fully paid up member).

Seems like a lovely fella, and on his day can be literally unplayable. In a team that consistently play a fast paced counter attacking game he will CONSISTENTLY score a lot of goals.

Right now, when playing against tougher opponents, we are not good enough to bring the best out of him. We dawdle while he zooms.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I used to really LIKE him, but that has given way to being frustrated at the way he has under-performed. However, if we sell him for £2.5 or less, it would be disastrous as there is no way we will get anyone better in.

My gut feeling is that we are stuck with him unless a team like Norwich offer something close to £3m AND we ALSO have a player like Austin line up to come here.

What I don't understand is why Norwich aren't after Austin instead of Macca?

albionite

May 20, 2009
What I don't understand is why Norwich aren't after Austin instead of Macca?

Most probably because they know Brighton are push overs and will except just over £2,5m for CMS and Burnley will look for £8m for Austin

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Vokes and Paynter wern't bought so not big signings.

Hosklins was certainly not 'big money' by any stretch for a championship team and Dobbie was not expensive either.

CMS has been our only big buy and it's hardly been dreadful. I know I say it again but, despite his bad perfomances at points, 1 in 2 is still a very good ratio. I'm not saying that's necessarily enough to warrant keeping him, but it's certainly not as shabby as you would expect when reading some peoples reaction to him.

Please, stop using this. How many GAMES has he scored in? That is the statistic that is important and CMS does not score in enough GAMES. If he scored in more games who knows how many of our 10 draws would have been wins?

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
Please, stop using this. How many GAMES has he scored in? That is the statistic that is important and CMS does not score in enough GAMES. If he scored in more games who knows how many of our 10 draws would have been wins?

Yes but it's all about 'the service' or lack of it and not playing to his strengths......blah blah. Zis iss ze fact of matter.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Complete and utter bollocks.

Tell you what, you sit down, have another pie, wave your flag, and leave 15 minutes before the end, thereby missing another CMS air-shot two yards out.

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
Tell you what, you sit down, have another pie, wave your flag, and leave 15 minutes before the end, thereby missing another CMS air-shot two yards out.

Poor, poor fishing attempt there. You have absolutely no idea about my match day habits clearly, as the only one you got correct was the pie. Good day.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Lionel Messi has not scored ONE goal all season. He only ever scores 2 or 3 in a game.

Does that mean all of his 'excess' goals shouldn't be used when raving about his scoring ratio??

Falcao scored 5 the other day. We should probably knock 4 off that total as it doesn't matter.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Lionel Messi has not scored ONE goal all season. He only ever scores 2 or 3 in a game.

Does that mean all of his 'excess' goals shouldn't be used when raving about his scoring ratio??

Falcao scored 5 the other day. We should probably knock 4 off that total as it doesn't matter.

What a ridiculous comparison to make-you are making yourself look silly now. Comparing CMS's goal tally to Messi's-you couldn't make it up. Only on NSC.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
What a ridiculous comparison to make-you are making yourself look silly now. Comparing CMS's goal tally to Messi's-you couldn't make it up. Only on NSC.

I think you've misunderstood the point im making there. Im not comparing the two as players or their goalscoring in ANY WAY.

What im clearly pointing out is that you can twist ANYONES goalscoring statistics how you want. Therefore i picked the best goalscorer in the world to show it. About 70% of messi's goals do not effect the actual winning of the game, i.e 3rd or 4th goals in a 5-0 rout.

Murray has scored in 11 games compared to CMS 7. That doesnt sound anywhere near as bad as the total goals comparison.

A goal ratio of 1 in 2 is good, whatever way you want to twist it.

Let me point this out, I agree it hasn't worked for CMS and I think he will eventually move on sadly. But you have to at least ackowledge that he DOES score. It's not like he cant physically kick it in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here