Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] COVIDIOTS hot spots

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I suppose the only upside of the virus getting out of control is that we will build up some significant community herd immunity along side the vaccination getting rolled out. Trouble is 10’s of thousands will die and the NHS will probably implode in building the natural immunised community herd. :-(

Also the risk of so many more people having the virus is that the risk of a significant mutation increases. That could possibly be disastrous if a more dangerous strain develops that defeats the current vaccine.

I think a short sharp total lockdown for 2 weeks may buy us a bit of time to get the vaccine system well underway. What we have at the moment is not working.

To add to the mix is the possibility in the next few weeks of really cold weather. This will put extra unneeded pressure on the NHS. If the weather does turn really cold then a total lockdown must be implemented. The only ones out and about then should be the true key workers not some of the nonsense currently permitted.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I suppose the only upside of the virus getting out of control is that we will build up some significant community herd immunity along side the vaccination getting rolled out. Trouble is 10’s of thousands will die and the NHS will probably implode in building the natural immunised community herd. :-(

Also the risk of so many more people having the virus is that the risk of a significant mutation increases. That could possibly be disastrous if a more dangerous strain develops that defeats the current vaccine.

I think a short sharp total lockdown for 2 weeks may buy us a bit of time to get the vaccine system well underway. What we have at the moment is not working.

To add to the mix is the possibility in the next few weeks of really cold weather. This will put extra unneeded pressure on the NHS. If the weather does turn really cold then a total lockdown must be implemented. The only ones out and about then should be the true key workers not some of the nonsense currently permitted.

To be honest saying only key workers should be out is unrealistic and unenforceable....they’ve had stricter controls in France and Spain and yet its not worked (i’m not advocating a total free for all either).

You look at where most transmission is happening and target that (where possible) one would have thought

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I suppose the only upside of the virus getting out of control is that we will build up some significant community herd immunity along side the vaccination getting rolled out. Trouble is 10’s of thousands will die and the NHS will probably implode in building the natural immunised community herd.

The maths of that happening is absolutely horrific unfortunately. Vaccination is the only currently viable way out of this.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I think that horse has bolted. We’re just about to reap the consequences of all the household mixing that took place over Christmas in spite of health experts begging people not to do so.

In some way our destiny for the next period is baked in, regardless of what we do, thanks in part to the selfish twats who thought Covid was taking Christmas off.

Plus there is no evidence that the wider population would adhere to a short sharp two week lockdown. All the evidence from November and this current ‘lockdown’ is that too many people seem to think lockdowns are for everyone else, for these measures to be effective in breaking chains of transmission.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The kids had a one-hour video thing yesterday morning. I won't really call it a lesson - it was more about seeing the face and hearing the voices of their classmates.

I think the school are intending to do more as the weeks progress, but I'm not too fussed either way as I have no doubt they are doing the very best they can, particularly given the number of kids they have on site and how that stretches the teaching staff to both conduct face-to-face learning and attend to those at home.

This is a primary school, BTW - I suspect remote video classes become more practical with older kids who won't forget to mute/unmute and can focus appropriately.

I guess what is going on does potentially create a two-tiered educational system, with those in school arguably getting better tuition than those at home.

Yes, I agree that video lessons work better is secondary than in primary - I am a primary school teacher (Year 3 at the moment).

We have set up intervention groups for the children who really need it with zoom meetings with TAs, alongside our other provision.

Obviously, what we can provide will not be as good as the kids being in school, which we all want. But for now, we are doing all we can.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I totally agree there are some bell ends in supermarkets and people who think social distancing is for someone else!

Having said all that, you tried to get a delivery slot from any supermarket at the moment? Nothing from M&S, Waitrose, Sainsbury’s ( unless you have already had a delivery) Tesco’s. People did have to get in first time as they are not taking new instructions

Finally, Aldi offer click and collect from some stores. Minimising contact with covid deniers.
https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/Grocery-Click-and-Collect

Agreed .... but a very small trial when you consider they have 800+ stores.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be honest saying only key workers should be out is unrealistic and unenforceable....they’ve had stricter controls in France and Spain and yet its not worked (i’m not advocating a total free for all either).

I'm not sure how anyone can say any given restriction hasn't worked, if their reasoning is one of these...

You did X and infections didn't fall much.

You did X and infections kept rising.​

...because we don't know what the result of not doing X, and everything else being the same, would have been.

However, we DO know that all forms of close human contact, particularly indoors, gives the virus more chance of spreading. Therefore, I really don't think it's unreasonable at all to suggest that if a restriction reduces human contact it's going to have a positive effect on viral spread. However "positive effect" does not necessarily mean "eliminates" or even "reduces".

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I personally think that getting out for your once a day exercise is just as important. Obviously following the rules a keeping your distance from others. It’s good for not only keeping healthy, but mentally healthy too.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Lancing Beach Green.
Yoga Mum's letting all the kids meet up on the playground, swarming round the cafe, kids crowding the skate park. Need a couple of coppers swinging by a few times a day.

This area is a nightmare along with Brooklands park where people multigenerational all mixing no masks with no social distancing absoluty mad and selfish.

One other area to avoid is Worthing Prom between Splah point and the roundabout far end of Worthing its heaving with people

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not sure how anyone can say any given restriction hasn't worked, if their reasoning is one of these...

You did X and infections didn't fall much.

You did X and infections kept rising.​

...because we don't know what the result of not doing X, and everything else being the same, would have been.

However, we DO know that all forms of close human contact, particularly indoors, gives the virus more chance of spreading. Therefore, I really don't think it's unreasonable at all to suggest that if a restriction reduces human contact it's going to have a positive effect on viral spread. However "positive effect" does not necessarily mean "eliminates" or even "reduces".

Umm not quite the point I was making ..perhaps that’s down to me not making myself clear ..I’ll leave it that as I am now out ..working on someone’s conifer hedging ..deep joy
Have a great day

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Umm not quite the point I was making ..perhaps that’s down to me not making myself clear ..I’ll leave it that as I am now out ..working on someone’s conifer hedging ..deep joy
Have a great day

Please do share your point. You said something didn’t work, but didn’t state your criteria for determine working / not working.

You keep backing away at times like this - a bit disappointing really.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Not what its like in your area, but the high street with all the Deliveroo tw@ts is quite an eye opener.

TBH my exposure is only supermarkets or out on my runs. I’ve tried to avoid main roads/shopping areas but unavoidably went through Rayners Lane and it was chaos.

Groups of teenagers hanging around, people not distancing in shops and the ubiquitous no nose covering.

And to make it worse three community support officers not socially distancing and not challenging people. To put it bluntly London NHS is ****ed because everyone is being selfish.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The only comment worth reading in this thread. Unbelievable someone is judging people for exercising outside.

I’ve just had enough of people believing they are above others because they follow the rules more than someone else. This thread is an exact example of what is happening to society, people walking along the seafront are apparently covidiots or someone going to a garden centre etc, this happened all through summer with packed beaches, protests, pub gardens.

Perhaps someone going to a garden centre to get some plants to work on their garden improves their quality of life and mental health the same as someone like me who can go out and exercise once a day to keep myself sane?

Some will follow the rules, some won’t. That’s life, in every aspect, not just this pandemic.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's ways and means of reducing the odds of catching covid tho eh? Including shopping at Saino's in its first hour of opening (between 7am and 8am customers are usually outnumbered by staff) and do your running thing soon as it gets light. It's all about the small percentages aye?

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
TBH my exposure is only supermarkets or out on my runs. I’ve tried to avoid main roads/shopping areas but unavoidably went through Rayners Lane and it was chaos.

Groups of teenagers hanging around, people not distancing in shops and the ubiquitous no nose covering.

And to make it worse three community support officers not socially distancing and not challenging people. To put it bluntly London NHS is ****ed because everyone is being selfish.

Agree with that.

When I travel to work down Ruislip High Street, its amazing to see all the non believer's, madness.

There's even a new German Doner Kebab outlet opened up, where people are queuing up, closer than normal.
https://www.germandonerkebab.com/german-doner-kebab-store-locations

Stay safe :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Agree with that.

When I travel to work down Ruislip High Street, its amazing to see all the non believer's, madness.

There's even a new German Doner Kebab outlet opened up, where people are queuing up, closer than normal.
https://www.germandonerkebab.com/german-doner-kebab-store-locations

Stay safe :thumbsup:

This is why authorities 'explaining the rules' to covidiots will never work. Covidiots are already fully conversant with the rules, entitled ****s just assume the rules only apply to other, lesser, people. Time to tell them the good news that they're being issued with a penalty fine (that will hopefully be fed straight back into the NHS, tho won't hold my breath on that one)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve just had enough of people believing they are above others because they follow the rules more than someone else. This thread is an exact example of what is happening to society, people walking along the seafront are apparently covidiots or someone going to a garden centre etc, this happened all through summer with packed beaches, protests, pub gardens.

Perhaps someone going to a garden centre to get some plants to work on their garden improves their quality of life and mental health the same as someone like me who can go out and exercise once a day to keep myself sane?

Some will follow the rules, some won’t. That’s life, in every aspect, not just this pandemic.

Yeah, people will ignore the rules, people will think it’s okay to mingle in garden centres and all that stuff.
But they can expect to get called selfish wankers. Because they are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here