Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] COVIDIOTS hot spots

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Takes two to tango on that one. It's up to other countries not to let them in. When Italy went into lockdown in March there were at least 20 flights a day arriving from Italy into London, and disgorging passengers straight out of UK airports into the country at large with no health screening at all. Sheer madness

at the time no one in Europe had the faintest inkling that this was going to turn into what it has , the doctor who initially brought the wuhan outbreak to light was shut down and harassed by chinese authorities , you may be happy to forgive and forget , i'm not ......they are at fault in my opinion and look at where we are now.:down:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With the cases and deaths rising to record levels, is it time to go back to March restrictions regarding shutting everything apart from supermarkets and schools?

All tradespeople are still working in this lockdown whereas that didn’t happen in March.

This is where the vicious circle has started with regard to people still working > sending kids to school > not staying at home > infections rise (surprise!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think schools won’t open for all kids until after Easter.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People are getting jittery and catastrophic because the end is in sight. Chill. Keep calm and wait for the vaccine. Stay in. Distance. And when we have enough people vaccinated we can get on with life. If you feel vulnerable carry on indoors for as long as you need.
Now is not the time to listen to nervous Nellie’s. Hold your nerve. Stay the course. Steady as we go.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It won't happen because it's completely impractical and unworkable - it's got nothing to do with "sheeps and goons". Many countries are not led by such types - are you able to give me a list of those that have followed this strategy?

From some quick calculations based on the vaccination groups, your "the rest who stay at home" numbers c20m people - around a third of the country. And, of course, many of those people will live with your low-risk under-55s. Do those co-habitees also stay at home, to help keep the vulberable safe?

Regardless of how you answer that question, I hope the number of 20m illustrates that your plan just can't work. If you take 20m people out of circulation, vast swathes of the economy can not function as the workforce is decimated.

Fair enough.

Contrary to my normal pig-headed imperative I have been trying to find an accomodation with those who repeatedly state the country cannot shut down.

If you're right (and I can't ever recall an occasion when you have been wrong) this is horrible. As someone who is obsessed with solutions, we nevertheless surely should be enfording the wearing of masks, social distancing etc? Surely? Until vaccination has kicked in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. And that doesn't take account of the number of people using discount supermarkets due to losing their job, being furloughed or generally not wanting to pay the rip off prices at the main supermarkets. The discount supermarkets do not deliver. Blinkered view from someone that clearly has too much money.

Finally, Aldi offer click and collect from some stores. Minimising contact with covid deniers.
https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/Grocery-Click-and-Collect

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think schools won’t open for all kids until after Easter.

I agree. The rules seem to have drifted a bit on what constitutes vulnerable. First lockdown. Our kids school had around 10% of pupils as an average. This time week 1 has seen around 40% and they are expecting more now it seems those with no online access are allowed to attend in spite of the fact that they are able to get work packs for home learning. I agreed with a temporary school closure but it won't work if too many attend

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Seems to me we are suffering all the economic fallout of ‘lockdown’ without gaining any of the benefits of transmission reduction as many people continue to broadly do what they want?

I was listening to the radio yesterday and when the travel reports came on it sounded like any other Friday rush hour with congestion all over the place.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
All the sort of hotspots and behaviour listed here is repeated across the UK - that's why I am losing my livelihood. Thanks everyone - won't forget ya!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I agree. The rules seem to have drifted a bit on what constitutes vulnerable. First lockdown. Our kids school had around 10% of pupils as an average. This time week 1 has seen around 40% and they are expecting more now it seems those with no online access are allowed to attend in spite of the fact that they are able to get work packs for home learning. I agreed with a temporary school closure but it won't work if too many attend

It’s a ****ing joke. That first lockdown, it was spring, the weather was great and everyone treated lockdown like the Bank Holiday that never ends and loved having the kids at home or packing out the beaches. Now it’s the middle of winter and straight after the Christmas holidays and when it comes to getting the kids out the house suddenly everyone’s a key worker...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

In our area, many of “the 40%” are from fairly affluent WFH parents, who want the energetic 4 to 11 year olds out from under the feet. In our libertarian country with many data protection and similar laws, headmasters must be compelled to take it on trust that parents are key workers.

It highlights a clear dichotomy I was already aware of. Parents who love their kids but in small doses :lolol:, whilst there are others like me who love them being home. When we had all that snow with school closures in the three winters from 2008, that was paradise.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Seems to me we are suffering all the economic fallout of ‘lockdown’ without gaining any of the benefits of transmission reduction as many people continue to broadly do what they want?

I was listening to the radio yesterday and when the travel reports came on it sounded like any other Friday rush hour with congestion all over the place.

Indeed.

And thinking about it, after [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s reply to my somewhat emotional post this morning, I still don't understand why HMG can't bring in some tough temporary rules and enforce them. And if protecting the over 55s is too expensive then make it the over 65s. Better than nothing. At some point there is a sweet spot between the best cut off age to protect and the amount of economic impact. And as for their mixing at home, etc, a mate of mine's wife has cancer so whenever he has to have outside contact he isolates in doors for 2 weeks. Where there is a will there is a way. There are workarounds. Won't work for chavs and gammon, of course. And I accept that no other country is doing exactly what I suggested, but that's neither here nor there; most other countries are more racist and sexist than the UK, that doesn't mean we should not bother with trying to do better, ourselves.

So I still think HMG are making avoidable poor decisions. The fact of the matter is our cases and deaths are worse than most if not all comparable nations, and that is down to HMG. We should be doing better and we could be.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And talking about schools - my son's school had 50 kids in during Lockdown 1. Now they have 250. Based on what I heard on 5Live yesterday, I think this is broadly representative of the situation across the country, where our supposedly closed schools have 40-50% of children still attending.

I don't think this is due to people just wanting to get the kids out of the house every day, but more reflective of the number of people who are continuing to work for a number of reasons.

Mrs Bozza is a key worker, and it would be far more convenient for me if Bozza jnr was in school each day, but he's not going to be.

More people at work + more kids in school = more viral spread = more deaths.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It’s a ****ing joke. That first lockdown, it was spring, the weather was great and everyone treated lockdown like the Bank Holiday that never ends and loved having the kids at home or packing out the beaches. Now it’s the middle of winter and straight after the Christmas holidays and when it comes to getting the kids out the house suddenly everyone’s a key worker...

Had a full blown tantrum from our 5 year old yesterday after one video class call. He doesn't see why he's here whilst 20 (I kid you not) of his classmates are sat at school

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
With the cases and deaths rising to record levels, is it time to go back to March restrictions regarding shutting everything apart from supermarkets and schools?

All tradespeople are still working in this lockdown whereas that didn’t happen in March.

This is where the vicious circle has started with regard to people still working > sending kids to school > not staying at home > infections rise (surprise!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m still working and have throughout ...sorry about that

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's certainly my assumption right now.

I just looked at worldometer and the virus is literally out of control, the dip slope of the curve once we even get to the peak will take an age to reduce. Allied to the stories in your recent post and my family member who was told yesterday that virtually all medical staff at Worthing Hospital will be full in PPE from Monday, seconded to new CV19 wards.

Digressing, looking round Europe, the virus appears out of control in quite a few nations now:
The 4 home nations
Netherlands
Germany
Czech Republic
Slovenia

Due to the new strain?

Whilst in France, Italy and Spain for now, they have some form of control.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

The 'key worker' line must be the widest greyest line in history

E services, medical / care staff yes, obviously, a daft example is me. We have a letter from BP at work . . .they have been designated an essential service ( fuels) and we are one of their key suppliers, We have a letter from them telling us we must continue trading to maintain their supply/service. SOme of What we do is an important but small part of the big chain, without our kit tankers wouldn't fill at depots and then no fuel in stations, so To the letter of the law I'm a key worker, but come on. No ones gonna miss me over a nurse, paramedic or a fireman.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
And talking about schools - my son's school had 50 kids in during Lockdown 1. Now they have 250. Based on what I heard on 5Live yesterday, I think this is broadly representative of the situation across the country, where our supposedly closed schools have 40-50% of children still attending.

I don't think this is due to people just wanting to get the kids out of the house every day, but more reflective of the number of people who are continuing to work for a number of reasons.

Mrs Bozza is a key worker, and it would be far more convenient for me if Bozza jnr was in school each day, but he's not going to be.

More people at work + more kids in school = more viral spread = more deaths.

It's frustrating. No way mine are going in right now. Especially with the higher numbers attending will reduce the risk to myself or them any way I can

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here