Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could the decision to let Murray leave be the costliest mistake in English footy history?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
the decision to leave was made by murray not by the club.

he made himself unaffordable to the club at that time.

shit stirring wont change facts but I guess that suggesting people put their spoons away is always going to fall on deaf ears

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It would have been the costliest if we'd lost him to our arch rivals....oh. I honestly think I'm going to wake up one day and it was all a bad dream. It's not quite up there with Brian Clough leaving Derby for their arch rivals and wining them two European Cups, but it's vaguely in the same ball park.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
the decision to leave was made by murray not by the club.

he made himself unaffordable to the club at that time.

shit stirring wont change facts but I guess that suggesting people put their spoons away is always going to fall on deaf ears

Wrong on the facts.

In Summer 2012 when we had banked many millions in s/t sales for the Amex, but corporate box sales, and so on,

Murray, who very much wanted to stay, asked for a £150k annual pay rise.

Not bad considering we were moving up a level, and the bloke along with Bennett had been on fire for at least a season and a half.

Gus made it a cause not to do this. Freedman (with buttons in their coffers) did the sensible thing, we splashed the cash and mega wages on CMS and Hoskins, and the rest is history.

Well done Gus.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Wrong on the facts.

In Summer 2012 when we had banked many millions in s/t sales for the Amex, but corporate box sales, and so on,

Not bad considering we were moving up a level, and the bloke along with Bennett had been on fire for at least a season and a half.

Gus made it a cause not to do this. Freedman (with buttons in their coffers) did the sensible thing, we splashed the cash and mega wages on CMS and Hoskins, and the rest is history.

Well done Gus.

This. And you are accurate that Glenn wanted to stay, and the figures were that small on a club then heading for a £25m turnover.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder what the chairmen who employed Harry Redknapp think?

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Is there really another thread on this? Yes it was a mistake, yes you now rue it, yes it's now time to move on.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Wrong on the facts.

Well done Gus.

I am always impressed at how much of player and club financial dealings are known in such detail by those who have a specific point to make.

I had heard he wanted a fifty percent pay rise from the club which was stretched to the limits by ground building and management costs and that he didnt actually negotiate just made a demand then went elsewhere with his agent touting him round rather than talking.

Are my sources less reliable than yours :rolleyes:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Leeds letting Cantona go for a million to Man Utd must be one of the worse ever.

I think Sheffield Wednesday passing up on Cantona by wanting to see him play on grass first is a bigger cock-up.

Its just a mistake, not costly at all or anything. He was an average player for Palace last season but is playing well for them now - how was Gus to know that Murray was going to play like this for them ? More to the point how was Gus to know he was going to join the scum ??

Now, if your STILL moaning that Murray left OVER A YEAR AGO - then you seriously need to shut up and move on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Surely Shearers decision to join Newcastle where he would win trophies as opposed to Manchester United was one of the worst ever footballing decisions ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barry Chuckle signing up with is brother instead of Bobby Robson's Barcelona, seems odd.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Yes it was.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
This isn't just the most costly mistake in English football. It is in WORLD FOOTBALL. Truly catastrophic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here