Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could the decision to let Murray leave be the costliest mistake in English footy history?

Dandyman

In London village.
the decision to leave was made by murray not by the club.

he made himself unaffordable to the club at that time.

shit stirring wont change facts but I guess that suggesting people put their spoons away is always going to fall on deaf ears

Spot on.

With any luck his fan club will f@ck off to Selhurst too.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I was pissed off when we sold Gary Nelson for 50k We also sold Dean Saunders pretty cheap too.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
20 - 20 hindsight is a wonderful thing but..

Was it the correct decision at the time? I believe so. Given the stance we were taking on wage structure etc.

Would he be scoring as many for us as he is for palace? No I don't believe he would be. Palace have developed a gung ho style that will help them in the short term but will leaving them floundering once zaha/bolasie move on.

Does anyone really care anymore? No, we are looking to the future.

So in answer to the original question my answer is No.

20 - 20 hindsight is a wonderful thing but..

Was it the correct decision at the time? I believe so. Given the stance we were taking on wage structure etc.

Would he be scoring as many for us as he is for palace? No I don't believe he would be. Palace have developed a gung ho style that will help them in the short term but will leaving them floundering once zaha/bolasie move on.

Does anyone really care anymore? No, we are looking to the future.

So in answer to the original question my answer is No.

I THINK A FEW OF US KNEW IT WAS A POOR MOVE AT THE TIME:facepalm: BUT GOT SHOUTED DOWN BY THE CLUB LICKERS:blush:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A few on here now say they never liked him anyway, but to most at Withdean, Glenn was adored. A class act.

Total tosh. Last week a poster stated that Murray was his favourite player when he was with us, looked up Murray and that user's name and found his top 5 from the last season at Withdean, lo and behold, Murray came behind Barnes and Dicker for favouritism. That's just one example.
History is being rewritten by a lot of posters on Nsc, but remember, your posts are still there.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
How bout was it Glenn murray's worst mistake::

To leave nice sunny classy Brighton area with new stadium

to play for gipsy palace team with horrible stadium living in the bronx's?:flameboun

What a lovely place it is there to live and because sainsburys owns parts of the stadium..

I think Murray is desperate to score, because each goal he gets = 1000 nectar points

M in Murray = Mugg..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am always impressed at how much of player and club financial dealings are known in such detail by those who have a specific point to make.

I had heard he wanted a fifty percent pay rise from the club which was stretched to the limits by ground building and management costs and that he didnt actually negotiate just made a demand then went elsewhere with his agent touting him round rather than talking.

Are my sources less reliable than yours :rolleyes:

Will never mention the Club source (at the top level), but it is true:

1. That Murray wanted to stay; and
2. His hoped for pay rise was less than double, and still less than a stack of the current squad.

Those stating the opposite on here are either guessing or fibbing, from anti-Palace-tinted-glasses.

It really was a Gus thing that he thought Murray wasn't wasn't worth a Championship players wage level.
How wrong he was.

They all make mistakes. Anyone heard of Veron, Djemba Djemba (so good they named him twice), Kleberson, Bellion, Taibi, Forlan?

I just hope Gus is flexible enough to learn, and not consider himself god-like in all his decision making.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Gus made a mistake thinking that because CMS was league one top scorer (Murray second) that Brighton could do very well without the injury prone Muzza.

Clearly this was a mistake. But aint the retroscope a marvellous device. There is more to this sorry tale than most of us know.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How bout was it Glenn murray's worst mistake::

To leave nice sunny classy Brighton area with new stadium

to play for gipsy palace team with horrible stadium living in the bronx's?:flameboun

What a lovely place it is there to live and because sainsburys owns parts of the stadium..

I think Murray is desperate to score, because each goal he gets = 1000 nectar points

M in Murray = Mugg..

Murray still lives in nice sunny classy Brighton.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Will never mention the Club source (at the top level), but it is true:

1. That Murray wanted to stay; and
2. His hoped for pay rise was less than double, and still less than a stack of the current squad.

Those stating the opposite on here are either guessing or fibbing, from anti-Palace-tinted-glasses.

There must be several people working at the club giving out different stories then.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There must be several people working at the club giving out different stories then.

Board level revealed he wanted to stay, and the low pay sought.

Perhaps lower down e.g. team management team spin it, to justify the loss? If Hoskins and CMS had destroyed all before them in the last 16 months, they wouldn't have had to come up with this little fib.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Murray still lives in nice sunny classy Brighton.

And is able to do so because his signing on fee and increased wages helped settle a messy divorce that was going on, allowing him to stay where he was on the home front.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
God. He's gone. It was the wrong decision as it turns out. He ain't coming back. He will probably give Palace the gooner as well (along with Zaha and Bolansie) in Jan so stop jaw aching about it.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Those who think this is going to go away are totally deluded. Every time Murray scores and we dominate games and fail to score it rubs further salt into the wound. This will only go away when we start converting all the chances we create. There is also a sun-text to all this about Gus's tactics and whether they're working - my personal view is that they're not (the game is simple - you put the ball in the back of the net more often than the opposition!) and that his inflexibility and insistence on playing the way we play without players who are talented enough to make it work is becoming a problem.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Our style of play when he left wasn't suited to him. Loads of build up play from the back, then knock it long for him to get clumped in the back and win a free kick. NOW that we have Bridge, Bruno, and Buckley getting the ball into the box, would have suited him more. Shame we never saw them all on the pitch together ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here