Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could the decision to let Murray leave be the costliest mistake in English footy history?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh dear, you quite obviously didn't see the Bolton match whereby we had about 400 corners each crying out for someone to stick a head on. Glen Murray would have created a bloodbath that day.

You quite obviously
And you quite obviously haven't been watching the 18 months previous, where precisely that didn't happen.

If you think FFS would have lasted that long, with the minimal amount of goodwill he was carrying forward from League 1, I've got some magic beans for sale.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
What about Steve Bull being sold for next to nothing by WBA to their main rivals Wolves.

He then scored about 300 goals for them and played for England a few times.

At least Murray was out of contract.

That's a great shout,what a player he was.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Everyone agrees we ned a striker.

We had a very good one. In fact probably the best at this level.

We gave him away.

Fricking stupid.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Once more for the hard of thinking.

FFS is doing the business because he is playing in an attacking team with 2 wingers, planting the ball on his head.
(Point to the person who has said FFS can't head the ball)

Had he stayed he would be have been left marooned from the midfield with 1 non crossing winger for occasional company.

On top of that he'd have all the baggage of the 4 previous seasons of 'terrace grief' to deal will.

So no.

The better question would be:-

Could the decision to let Gus manage be the costliest mistake in English footy history?
To which the answer is obviously NO, as well.
spot on :clap2:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Everyone agrees we ned a striker.

We had a very good one. In fact probably the best at this level.

We gave him away.

Fricking stupid.

Yes, we forced him to reject our contract and we forced him to go to Palace - Jesus wept.

Just a thought, if we do get Jason Roberts or a player like him and they get a bag load of goals - will people STILL moan about Murray ?

Seriously think some people have an obsession with Murray, in the same way some on here are obsessed with Palaces attendances.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Murray still lives in nice sunny classy Brighton.

Oh well forget what I said Murray...
As u still live in Brighton , why have the hassle of driving to palace when u can play for bha again!

Still not sure if he would fit back into the team, still think there's a striker out there for the Albion, hope who ever comes is not a lazy/flop of a player...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, we forced him to reject our contract and we forced him to go to Palace - Jesus wept.

Just a thought, if we do get Jason Roberts or a player like him and they get a bag load of goals - will people STILL moan about Murray ?

Seriously think some people have an obsession with Murray, in the same way some on here are obsessed with Palaces attendances.

We should have fought much much harder to hang on to him.

I don't care who we sign now and how good they are, the fact is they will never replace all of those lost points this season or last.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

The answer is of course NO. But in these last 18mts of last season and this season i think its fair to say (those that saw him) have been saying "murray would have scored that" time and time and time again.

And not just that but holding the ball up as well AND bringing others into play.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not forgetting the free kicks and pens he would win as well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Costliest decision in over 100 years of English football history? Let's get a sense of perpective about our own importance.

As for Brighton history, I'd rate the missing out on Ian Wright and Roy Keane, the loss of Gareth Barry, and even the sale of Dean Saunders as far worse to be honest.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
In my last 30+ years it as got to be one of the biggest mistakes, if not the biggest mistake playing wise that was not forced by the banks/taxman etc...Cattlin saying Jimmy Case's knee's were shot then him going on to play for Saints for many seasons springs to mind. But letting Murray go when he clearly wanted to stay, is probably the biggest cock up and it's only down to one man's judgement and opinion.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I have to admit I thought his age/playing in a better league was against him but he has proved me wrong,however if we had retained him we would still not be a decent Premiership side so no harm done.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Worst in he Albion history since the great departures in early eighties including Gary O'Reilly. Then there was half a dozen much worse departures. Those pissed me off for 20 years. Murray is merely unfortunate in comparison. And it will all be over in three years or so, five top whack.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
And you quite obviously haven't been watching the 18 months previous, where precisely that didn't happen.

If you think FFS would have lasted that long, with the minimal amount of goodwill he was carrying forward from League 1, I've got some magic beans for sale.

Wot the feck is this "minimal amount of goodwill" being carried forward mean? Murray scored close to 1 every 2 games for us, you seem to be writing absolute tosh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wot the feck is this "minimal amount of goodwill" being carried forward mean? Murray scored close to 1 every 2 games for us, you seem to be writing absolute tosh.
If it's the case that Murray wasn't routinely derided for being 'lazy, disinterested, selfish and wanting away', then I've made a mistake, for which I apologise.

Your not wrong re his stats, but there a awful lot of rose tint on this board, at the moment.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I happen to think Murray has found his level, a mardy arsed miserable northern twat playing in a team full of twats supported by twats playing in a half empty crumbling shithole in the arsehole of London. This temporary form of Palace will eventually drop off and will make their subsequent slip into their normal mode of shitness taste all the more sweeter. Only 1 win in 5 for them now (against 10 man Albion!) suggests the bubble might be close to bursting.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I happen to think Murray has found his level, a mardy arsed miserable northern twat playing in a team full of twats supported by twats playing in a half empty crumbling shithole in the arsehole of London. This temporary form of Palace will eventually drop off and will make their subsequent slip into their normal mode of shitness taste all the more sweeter. Only 1 win in 5 for them now (against 10 man Albion!) suggests the bubble might be close to bursting.

:lolol:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Board level revealed he wanted to stay, and the low pay sought.

Perhaps lower down e.g. team management team spin it, to justify the loss? If Hoskins and CMS had destroyed all before them in the last 16 months, they wouldn't have had to come up with this little fib.

I was told my info at the last game of that season at Notts County so it isn't a fib that has been fabricated since he left.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If Palace go up and we don't, all the more so given his goals and general play, and how many games we should have won this season, it's the £50million cock-up. Or £60million. Or £100million. Or whatever figure is plucked out of the air for promotion this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here