Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cost of Sky Set to Rise

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BBC News - Sky Sports broadcast costs set to rise

Sky is putting up the price of its Sky Sports channels, raising the cost to BT and Virgin of broadcasting live events such as Premier League football.

BT announced on Thursday it will charge customers £16.99 a month for both Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2, or £11.99 for just one of the channels.

But the wholesale cost of the channels to BT will rise to £19.07 in September.

This is because the wholesale cost is directly linked to the price that Sky charges its customers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wish I could cancel Sky Sports. But its so damn good, and what with the Ryder Cup on the horizon as well...and I've got the movies, so its not even worth having one without the other really.

Damn you murdoch. Damn you.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
No surprise there.

Sky were livid with the Ofcom ruling meaning they had to offer their premium channels to rivals

It's an absolute joke. Every time our wasteful and pointless government watchdogs step in they only ever make things worse.

"Hey let's deregulate telecoms so customers have a bigger choice"

"Great idea, but BT still own everything"

"OK so let them charge everyone else to use their infrastructure"

"Brilliant, that sounds FAIR"

OR...

"I know, let's deregulate the utilities, give customers more choice"

"Excellent idea, they can choose who provides their power"

"Well, it'll all come from the same place, they can just choose who bills them"

"Superb suggestion, that way Joe Public can wade through mountains of confusing shit about which GAS company sells them their electricity and which TELEPHONE company is in charge of their gas and then every other week they can be "tempted" to switch supplier by endless bombardment of door to door salesman and unsolicited marketing calls"

OR

"Let's end this SKY monopoly and give the TV viewing public a choice"

"Yes let's FORCE the satellite and cable companies to share their content so that users have to pay TWICE for the same stuff"

"Brilliant, shall we do lunch?"

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I wish I could cancel Sky Sports. But its so damn good, and what with the Ryder Cup on the horizon as well...and I've got the movies, so its not even worth having one without the other really.

Damn you murdoch. Damn you.

Same with us :lolol:

Mum wants to get rid of it but the constant football and golf is too good to give up:lol:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Great timing,Lets all pay more to watch them premier league stars.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
OR

"Hey why don't we cut out all this ONE railway network nonsense and sell it all off to different firms?"

"What a BONZA idea, that way the competition will drive down prices for the consumer"

"Yes, because the SHAREHOLDERS will be so keen to see their dividends reduced by the company's LOWER profits"

"Oh good point, well at least we can keep an eye on the different franchises to make sure those who underperform are punished"

"Yes, if they prove incapable of running their rail franchise we'll just take back control centrally, lose more public money trying to fix it and blame the French/Spanish/Armenian company who took control originally"

"And it'll also stop all that awkward nonsense of the rail network operating as ONE, meaning nobody ever need wait for a connecting train again, because there won't be any"

"Genius, fancy another bottle of Bollinger?"

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Has this got anything to do with that legal judgement over Sky and their T/V deals ? :bigwave:

Ofcom wanted to level the playing field on wholesale pricing but now Sky have an appeal pending with the Competition Authority so in the meantime all that has happened is Sky have raised their retail prices which feeds through to the wholesale pricing structure. Depending on the result of the appeal , monies paid to Sky by VM , BT , TUTV etc for the sports package(s) are being held in an escrow account. Sky always increase their prices in September so in a way it was expected.

Last edited:

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I understand from a radio program that Sky are increasing charges so that BT will have to pay more for taking Sky Sports etc

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
What's the point in Murdoch getting Cameron into part-power if the toffee-nosed cyclist can't get rid of ofcom within a couple of months so that nice and friendly businesses can just compete and rule themselves without the slightest observation?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I wish that as much effort was put into regulating the financial sector a few years back.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No matter what they charge it would be worth EVERY penny

Wise words.
I pay £58 per month for Sky HD (movies and sports). I would happily pay £100 a month, so a couple of quid here or there makes no difference whatsoever to me. I'd only waste it on Haribos anyway, and unlike Sky, they give me the shits.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Sky HD pack which is currently £10 a month is being reorganised so that customers will have to take the appropriate mix(es) to watch the HD channels of their choice (there was a loophole which allowed you to take 1 mix at £18 , pay the £10 HD pack = £28 a month but then get all the HD channels apart from Movies and Sport). Those on the top tier package might find the £10 HD pack charge disappearing as it is being absorbed into the various mixes but this hasn't been confirmed yet.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Wise words.
I pay £58 per month for Sky HD (movies and sports). I would happily pay £100 a month, so a couple of quid here or there makes no difference whatsoever to me. I'd only waste it on Haribos anyway, and unlike Sky, they give me the shits.

Woah woah WOAH there.

Now normally I'm a big fan of your ramblings Mr 10 however I think you need to get things in perspective here. I'd love to have multi channel TV with access to all the sport but a monthly fee of £58 is far too excessive. That's more than my mobile and broadband combined, both of which are considerably more important than telly.

Let's not forget that Sky aren't generously providing you with home grown content sans interruption. Oh no, it's still littered with PAID FOR adverts and aside from the sport very little of it is made in house, or even by British production companies.

The money Murdoch makes from Sky is OBSCENE. As far as I'm concerned you either take a fee (like the BBC do with the licence fee) and scrap the ads, or you accept that advertising and sponsorship is your source of income. Both together is GREEDY

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Wise words.

£58, really? Good grief. I imagine it does come down to disposable income, but I can't imagine wanting to spend £7k over the period of a decade on subscription television.

I had the Sky package during my third year at Uni and ended up watching everything and anything to ensure we got our moneys worth.

Of course, luxuries are there to be enjoyed, but I always felt it was an unnecessary luxury. TV is a useful tool, but it is dominating and anti-social.

Television/Sky is squeezing the life out of the human race. There, I've said it.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
£58, really? Good grief. I imagine it does come down to disposable income, but I can't imagine wanting to spend £7k over the period of a decade on subscription television.

I had the Sky package during my third year at Uni and ended up watching everything and anything to ensure we got our moneys worth.

Of course, luxuries are there to be enjoyed, but I always felt it was an unnecessary luxury. TV is a useful tool, but it is dominating and anti-social.

Television/Sky is squeezing the life out of the human race. There, I've said it.

We have had Sky in the past, couldnt justify £45 a month when we hardly watched ther bloody thing. It was only for the football anyway, but with the £45pm saving, I can go down the pub and watch it for less instead.:cheers::drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here